• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Soto

Stradling

Ok you are the most critical person on here as it relates to Arte. What in his personality tells you he isn't going to spend money. I'm not even talking Heyward, it could be one of the $100-125 million guys.

I just don't think that Eppler is going to sign one of the "Big Names" and that's ok. He might re-sign Freese for a couple of seasons max. He will probably sign a mid-caliber type left fielder but not a Heyward or Cespedes. My theory is that as long as the Angels continually remain competitively in the mix and get 3 million fans through the turnstiles Eppler has done his job.

• Eppler tells MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez that Geovany Soto, who inked a one-year, $2.8MM contract with the Angels today, will compete with young backstopCarlos Perez for the team’s starting role behind the plate next spring (Twitter link). The situation could ultimately result in a timeshare more than a standard starter/backup alignment, Gonzalez notes.

• Eppler tells MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez that Geovany Soto, who inked a one-year, $2.8MM contract with the Angels today, will compete with young backstopCarlos Perez for the team’s starting role behind the plate next spring (Twitter link). The situation could ultimately result in a timeshare more than a standard starter/backup alignment, Gonzalez notes.

That's to be expected.

• Eppler tells MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez that Geovany Soto, who inked a one-year, $2.8MM contract with the Angels today, will compete with young backstopCarlos Perez for the team’s starting role behind the plate next spring (Twitter link). The situation could ultimately result in a timeshare more than a standard starter/backup alignment, Gonzalez notes.

lol

Very good signing....

As far as the rest, I see us focusing on a LFer and a SP....I think we trade for a 2Bman and run with Cowart/Kubitza at 3rd.  I see us giving a lower salary to the two players we sign for the 2016 year (I know it's an overage contract, but I just think that is how Arte's mind will work).  Also, with Weaver and Wilson coming off the books next year and Crapilton soon after, I can see Arte exceeding the Luxury tax threshold this year.

Very good signing....

As far as the rest, I see us focusing on a LFer and a SP....I think we trade for a 2Bman and run with Cowart/Kubitza at 3rd.  I see us giving a lower salary to the two players we sign for the 2016 year (I know it's an overage contract, but I just think that is how Arte's mind will work).  Also, with Weaver and Wilson coming off the books next year and Crapilton soon after, I can see Arte exceeding the Luxury tax threshold this year.

I too can see them going over tax for a year, maybe two, and patching in some holes with vets on short-deals, while aggressively focusing on the farm over the next two years.

I just don't think that Eppler is going to sign one of the "Big Names" and that's ok. He might re-sign Freese for a couple of seasons max. He will probably sign a mid-caliber type left fielder but not a Heyward or Cespedes. My theory is that as long as the Angels continually remain competitively in the mix and get 3 million fans through the turnstiles Eppler has done his job.

Yep, that's the Angels way. I can see it now. Right in it until the last weekend and lose a close game to be eliminated from the wild card.

Edited by fan_since79

Yep, that's the Angels way. I can see it now. Right in it until the last weekend and lose a close game to be eliminated from the wild card.

I realize Claude's theory bothers people but it's not completely out of line. The ownership game is about increasing asset worth, and winning ballgames is only one small part of that. Saying or believing that Arte "wants to win" is a little silly because EVERYBODY wants to win. It's all Big Dick Baseball ™.

Not saying Claude's assertion is correct but assuming Arte's intentions as owner align with ours as fans where the rubber actually meets the road is just as speculative as pretending to know Scioscia's motivation for sitting a guy the day after a walk off homer.

I realize Claude's theory bothers people but it's not completely out of line. The ownership game is about increasing asset worth, and winning ballgames is only one small part of that. Saying or believing that Arte "wants to win" is a little silly because EVERYBODY wants to win. It's all Big Dick Baseball ™.

Not saying Claude's assertion is correct but assuming Arte's intentions as owner align with ours as fans where the rubber actually meets the road is just as speculative as pretending to know Scioscia's motivation for sitting a guy the day after a walk off homer.

I will say this....after 2010 Arte said that he would spend whatever was necessary to win a championship. Well since 2010 Arte has never gone over the luxury tax but he did sign Pujols and Hamilton but could've gone over the luxury tax by signing Greinke. He didn't so I don't believe that he will now. I think that Eppler is doing the right thing so far. There's an interesting article in the Bleacher Report involving the Yankees new approach to their budget. That article completely agrees with my argument about not spending tomorrows money until some of today's money is off the books. If Arte was really complaining about cheap seat fans not spending enough money at the stadium then he is watching the profit side pretty closely. 

Please read what Hal Steinbrenner has to say about spending too much when it's not necessary.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2592795-yankees-need-to-find-a-middle-ground-in-plan-to-build-a-title-contender

I will say this....after 2010 Arte said that he would spend whatever was necessary to win a championship. Well since 2010 Arte has never gone over the luxury tax but he did sign Pujols and Hamilton but could've gone over the luxury tax by signing Greinke. He didn't so I don't believe that he will now. I think that Eppler is doing the right thing so far. There's an interesting article in the Bleacher Report involving the Yankees new approach to their budget. That article completely agrees with my argument about not spending tomorrows money until some of today's money is off the books. If Arte was really complaining about cheap seat fans not spending enough money at the stadium then he is watching the profit side pretty closely. 

Please read what Hal Steinbrenner has to say about spending too much when it's not necessary.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2592795-yankees-need-to-find-a-middle-ground-in-plan-to-build-a-title-contender

I think there is a big difference between the Yankees and the Angels.  Yankees are full of aging stars.  They really don't have anyone they can build around like a young Jeter.

Angels have 5 more years of Trout.  No guarantee at all we have him for more.  

Angels IMO need to spend now, to take advantage of those 5 years.  Yankees really need to save now, until they get that person to build around. 

Edited by gotbeer

So you think Arte could have outbid the Gugenheim group for Greinke? I believe they put a worth on Greinke, he got paid more than the team felt he was worth. Then after Greinke was signed by the Dodgers Arte screwed up and signed Hamilton.

I think there is a big difference between the Yankees and the Angels.  Yankees are full of aging stars.  They really don't have anyone they can build around like a young Jeter.

Angels have 5 more years of Trout.  No guarantee at all we have him for more.  

Angels IMO need to spend now, to take advantage of those 5 years.  Yankees really need to save now, until they get that person to build around. 

This is where Arte made a huge mistake with his spending on Hamilton. He basically has a roster spot being paid $28,410,000 without a body to fill it.

Thats a fair point calzone. To be fair though, its more that arte has spent stupidly. And its hard to blame a guy thats seen an almost sure thing in pujols fall apart, a huge signing in hamilton blow up horribly, coming off the times he took on wells and paid gmj. Its like dating jennifer aniston

But to me, he absolutely has to spend now. This team has to omprove, and it wont come from the farm lr trades. No way around it.

I think it was you made a good point a few days back that arte might be watching the margins more because he plans to sell soon. Thats something i can actually see. But he probably needs to make the team top tier again to maximize value.

Thats a fair point calzone. To be fair though, its more that arte has spent stupidly. And its hard to blame a guy thats seen an almost sure thing in pujols fall apart, a huge signing in hamilton blow up horribly, coming off the times he took on wells and paid gmj. Its like dating jennifer aniston

But to me, he absolutely has to spend now. This team has to omprove, and it wont come from the farm lr trades. No way around it.

I think it was you made a good point a few days back that arte might be watching the margins more because he plans to sell soon. Thats something i can actually see. But he probably needs to make the team top tier again to maximize value.

But how much is enough? It's not smart to spend big money on new players when there's already big money tied up on dead wood. Heyward is not going to fix the Weaver, Wilson, Hamilton and Pujols situation.

If Arte is really serious about winning than he should go all in and sign Heyward, Price, Freese, Cespedes and Davis. Sit Pujols, watch them win it all and then sell the team.

sarcasm.........kinda

Edited by CALZONE