• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The player we should pursue but likely won't (Kenta Maeda)

Docwaukee

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/kenta-maeda-asks-to-be-posted.html

Wants to be posted.  Not sure if he's going to be as of yet. 

High end Japanese pitchers have been relatively successful.  While he's probably a step below Darvish and Tanaka, he probably still profiles as a #2 starter.  His K rates aren't through the roof (7.4/9), but he's a flyball pitchers which works well for us.  

With posting and salary, he's probably gonna cost about 6/80.  20 of which doesn't count toward the cap.  So about 10mil AAV.  

Gives us the flexibility to sign a more expensive position player as well as the depth to trade one or more of our starters (I'd still hang on to Heaney and Richards for sure though).

Thoughts?

Doc, if he can stay healthy he will be better than the other two guys because they are health risks. Would you rather have an oft injured pitcher that is capable of carrying a rotation or the solid number 2?

the latter everyday of the week and twice on sunday.  but that's the nit with pretty much all of the jpcl pitchers.  Maeda is 28 to start 2016 and has logged 1500 innings already.  I was referring to relative dominance compared to those other guys.  Maeda's walk rate is super low though (1.9/9ip).  

Zimm worries me a bit.  Former TJ guy has had 200ip 4 seasons in a row.  Entering his 30yo season.  Gonna cost you 20-22mil per over 6 years.  

His fastball velo dropped about half a mph this year.  Switch from NL to AL.  Some mild flags for someone that's gonna cost that much and make you surrender a pick.  

There are flags for Maeda as well, but he's a lot cheaper.  

Edited by Dochalo

I like Maeda. He looks like hes somewhere between an Iwakuma and Darvish/Tanaka type. You have to remember Billy came from the Yankees and they signed Tanaka, so we could have a much improved international market presence. Zimmermann is exactly what we need imo. He can be a veteran front end option and still allow Garrett too be our #1. What about Samardzija to a reasonable contract? All three of them can possibly be interchangeable 1-3 types.

Edited by DailyHalo