• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Feeling all the warm and fuzzies re: the Angels

Chuck

With the recent hires, it was apparent that Scioscia was running errr trying to run the ship over the past decade +. When Dipoto shit on Scioscia's couch, their relationship ended, thus they did not see eye to eye or work well together. This was a major problem. Of the two, I prefer Dipoto as a human being, but whatever, he's not with the Angels anymore. Scioscia reminds me of most of the Italians in my family anyhow, so I'm used to it, and I guess, good with it. 

That said, we're now seeing that Eppler and Scioscia are both working toward a common goal and are on the same page and as a fan, that makes me happy. 

Very true Chuck.  Whether they agree on all things baseball or not is not as important as a willingness to work together effectively, and for God's sake keep their disagreements private, the fan and press world don't need to dissect their private discussions.  I don't think these coaching moves are all Epploer, or all Scioscia, they are most likely a coordinated effort to improve this organization.  I think it shows that they are moving together on the same page.  So far I like them all.

Edited by tomsred

Dipoto is one of the smartest baseball minds today. You'd think it'd pair well with Scioscia, who is one of the most experienced baseball minds today but it didn't mesh well. Dipoto tried to build a winner using a variety of techniques he trusted, particularly numbers, Scioscia tried to build a winner using what he trusts, which is his gut and experience, both of which are sizable. When the two theories but heads, it all came down to three factors. 1. Who is in charge 2. Communication 3. Winning.

No one is really sure who was in charge, Dipoto had trouble reaching Scioscia on a level that didn't make him feel threatened, and while team won, they didn't do it enough to cover up the other two.

Upon arriving, it's been clear that Scioscia is the one in charge, so that solves factor number 1. Eppler clearly saw the Angels previous success with guys like Black and Roenicke in the fold, and by brining them in, you know he's made Mike happy. And finally, this has to result in winning, otherwise bye bye Billy.

I honestly think Eppler is just plain better than Dipoto when it comes to dealing with strong personalities. Now we'll see how he is at team building.

I just think it gets really old and fast, when you constantly have high expectations and nothing ever comes of it. Its not that were close, this team has more then enough talent too win and it constantly comes up short because of bonehead plays and mismanagement in big moments. I believe Arte and Mike have a great relationship, just like any other manager and ownership group but again its a business! Scioscia knows this and is a grown man, he wont have a problem getting work in baseball after his tenure with the Angels. Consistently coming up short can sour relationships and hard feelings wear thin when you've had a decade too get her done. Last year it came down to the epitome of a bad series, that cant be! Plus its the internet, it would be naive too think that players and team personal haven't visited the site. 

Edited by DailyHalo

MS wants to have input on certain things.  Not everything, but things he views as directly relevant to the major league club.  A right bestowed upon him by the king.  

Dipoto didn't think the above was necessary and probably went a little too far in the opposite direction.  

They couldn't find common ground.   

I think Jerry is very smart and capable.  I also think there was a bit too much focus on who was running the show as opposed to just working together with everyone to create the best product regardless of pecking order.  

Eppler is clearly executing his plan.  I presume he is smartly picking his battles.  Where the rubber meets the road is how the major league club performs and secondly, what's in the drawer for 2, 3, 4, 5 years from now.  

I would say that Jerry earns a B in that regard.  Maybe a B-.  

Frankly, I need a little more info before my warm and fuzzies are activated.  

Wow, you guys can really jump to extremes.  My guy is smarter than your guy, no my guy is smarter than your guy.  Guess what, IQ isn't the only thing that drives successful organizations.  This is a team sport, it comes down to who can work effectively together, no one guy can do it all, nor should he be allowed to do it all.  That's why I like the moves today, this group knows they have to compromise and work together to get to the goal, and they are all respected for their interpersonal skills.  And yes I believe even Scioscia will listen to the evidence and other issues if it's presented properly, and communicated well.  He's not that stubborn.

Edited by tomsred