• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The best ideas so far...

Second Base

Just going with completely unoriginal thoughts, but a collection of all yours, I thought I'd just conglomerate them.

1. During the Prado thread, the idea of a trade involving Santiago for Prado was floated out there, and I think that proposal has some merit to it. The type that fits the needs and goals of both teams.

2. There's no clear winner in the debate between Heyward, Upton and Cespedes. They all make a ton of sense. I'm not here to declare a winner at all. My own personal preference is Upton, but I think Cespedes will likely cost the least, and not cost a draft pick. Just for that alone, I'll just use him as a hypothetical.

3. Sign Utley to a one year incentive laden deal. He gets a long look in ST, guaranteed PT until Pujols returns, a chance at the everyday DH or 2B position, or a spot off the bench, gets to play for a contender, makes some money and maybe even re-establish value before FA next year. It's the perfect spot for him.

4. Sign Cueto. If Eppler really intends to rely heavily on FA, and the Angels intend to preserve their first round pick, which is smart, Cueto makes a ton of sense.

5. Trade Shoemaker for a solid reliver. The Angels already have so much pitching depth, and to add Cueto almost demands they trade one or two of them.

I think an opening day lineup with Calhoun, Prado, Trout, Cespedes, Cron and Utley could do some damage. I think a rotation that lines up as Cueto, Richards, Heaney, Tropeano and Wilson could be very solid. Adding another reliever to go in the 7th push Gott into the 6th and gives us a deep bullpen.

I think in essence, what I'm saying is that when AW puts all its best ideas together, it's pretty smart.

Just going with completely unoriginal thoughts, but a collection of all yours, I thought I'd just conglomerate them.

1. During the Prado thread, the idea of a trade involving Santiago for Prado was floated out there, and I think that proposal has some merit to it. The type that fits the needs and goals of both teams.

2. There's no clear winner in the debate between Heyward, Upton and Cespedes. They all make a ton of sense. I'm not here to declare a winner at all. My own personal preference is Upton, but I think Cespedes will likely cost the least, and not cost a draft pick. Just for that alone, I'll just use him as a hypothetical.

3. Sign Utley to a one year incentive laden deal. He gets a long look in ST, guaranteed PT until Pujols returns, a chance at the everyday DH or 2B position, or a spot off the bench, gets to play for a contender pretender, makes some money and maybe even re-establish value before FA next year. It's the perfect spot for him.

4. Sign Cueto. If Eppler really intends to rely heavily on FA, and the Angels intend to preserve their first round pick, which is smart, Cueto makes a ton of sense.

5. Trade Shoemaker for a solid reliver. The Angels already have so much pitching depth, and to add Cueto almost demands they trade one or two of them.

I think an opening day lineup with Calhoun, Prado, Trout, Cespedes, Cron and Utley could do some damage. I think a rotation that lines up as Cueto, Richards, Heaney, Tropeano and Wilson could be very solid. Adding another reliever to go in the 7th push Gott into the 6th and gives us a deep bullpen.

I think in essence, what I'm saying is that when AW puts all its best ideas together, it's pretty smart.

Fixed.

Good post Scotty.

The Angels should be able to solve their problems this winter if they are willing to spend. The easiest fix is left field. My preference is Alex Gordon.

Second base can also be upgraded easily. If you can't get Zobrist, get Howie or Murphy.

Trade Santiago for Prado.

Sign Zimmerman, Cueto, or Greinke.

Sick lineup:

Prado

Gordon

Trout

Pujols

Calhoun

Kendrick

Aybar

Catcher

Good post Scotty.

The Angels should be able to solve their problems this winter if they are willing to spend. The easiest fix is left field. My preference is Alex Gordon.

Second base can also be upgraded easily. If you can't get Zobrist, get Howie or Murphy.

Sick lineup:

Prado

Gordon

Trout

Pujols

Calhoun

Kendrick

Aybar

Catcher

Yeah Gordon is good too. He'll just cost a draft pick though. And depending on how we value that pick (we should rather highly), it could be the monetary difference between Gordon and Cespedes.

Good post Scotty.

Sick lineup:

Prado

Gordon

Trout

Pujols

Calhoun

Kendrick

Aybar

Catcher

I agree, nice post Scotty. Sums up the most popular ideas.

As for wophill, I like it! We would really have to break the bank to get Gordon, Kendrick, and a frontline starter though but it looks good. I'd probably scramble the lineup a bit but that's the least of worries for now.

I've become very attached to the Aoki idea as well.

Good ideas everyone.

Edited by marcosantinia12

A lot of posts I'm seeing have the Halos doing two big deals for one of the big bats (Upton, Davis, Cespedes, Heyward-ish) along with a Cueto or Price, but what if they went with two of the big bats? Maybe Heyward and Davis or Upton and Davis? Just trying to think outside the box and perhaps offer a new train of thought. You could still flip Santiago for Prado. Sign Sipp, Pena for backup catcher. Trade Cron for some prospects to offset the cost of losing draft picks. Maybe Kelly Johnson could be brought aboard to beef up the bench? Sign Chacin to a minor league deal to get some starting depth back. Doesn't give the team an ace, but you bank on Richards returning to 2014 form and a healthy CJ. Just trying to offer a new perspective. 

1. Calhoun RF

2. Trout CF

3. Upton LF

4. Davis 1B/DH

5. Pujols DH/1B

6. Prado 3B

7. Aybar SS

8. Perez/Pena C

9. Giavotella  2B

Johnson, Pena, Marwin Gonzalez/Eduardo Escobar, and Cowgill (or another 4th outfielder type acquired) on the bench. What I like is that there's the top heavy, high K 1-4, and then the exact opposite at the bottom half of the lineup. A blend of power and contact. Or you could even do Calhoun, Upton, Trout, Davis, etc. 

A lot of posts I'm seeing have the Halos doing two big deals for one of the big bats (Upton, Davis, Cespedes, Heyward-ish) along with a Cueto or Price, but what if they went with two of the big bats? Maybe Heyward and Davis or Upton and Davis? Just trying to think outside the box and perhaps offer a new train of thought. You could still flip Santiago for Prado. Sign Sipp, Pena for backup catcher. Trade Cron for some prospects to offset the cost of losing draft picks. Maybe Kelly Johnson could be brought aboard to beef up the bench? Sign Chacin to a minor league deal to get some starting depth back. Doesn't give the team an ace, but you bank on Richards returning to 2014 form and a healthy CJ. Just trying to offer a new perspective. 

1. Calhoun RF

2. Trout CF

3. Upton LF

4. Davis 1B/DH

5. Pujols DH/1B

6. Prado 3B

7. Aybar SS

8. Perez/Pena C

9. Giavotella  2B

Johnson, Pena, Marwin Gonzalez/Eduardo Escobar, and Cowgill (or another 4th outfielder type acquired) on the bench. What I like is that there's the top heavy, high K 1-4, and then the exact opposite at the bottom half of the lineup. A blend of power and contact. Or you could even do Calhoun, Upton, Trout, Davis, etc.

I know you're trying to offer a new perspective, and I hate being negative, but my goodness. That may have been the worst collection of ideas I've ever seen. Ever.

A lot of posts I'm seeing have the Halos doing two big deals for one of the big bats (Upton, Davis, Cespedes, Heyward-ish) along with a Cueto or Price, but what if they went with two of the big bats? 

Just going on this thought a bit.  But what would happen if the Angels sign 2 big FA OF bats?  And then trade Calhoun for a quality 2B, 3B or starting pitcher.  Of assets that we have, that would yield a high end young player, you have to put Calhoun at the top of the list.  

Not saying it's going to happen.  But if ever there was a time to spend, OF is just phenomenal this offseason.

1. Calhoun RF

2. Trout CF

3. Upton LF

4. Davis 1B/DH

5. Pujols DH/1B

6. Prado 3B

7. Aybar SS

8. Perez/Pena C

9. Giavotella 2B

Nikka, I generally love your ideas but I have to agree with Scotty here. I think that lineup looks sickening good, but paper doesn't always translate to real production and it looks like a roster built on star power and name recognition as opposed to the fundamental make-up of a team of getting on-base, putting pressure on the defense, driving guys in, etc.

I like your effort in thinking outside the box, I just feel like there's too many things that could go wrong in that scenario.

I know you're trying to offer a new perspective, and I hate being negative, but my goodness. That may have been the worst collection of ideas I've ever seen. Ever.

Hahaha seriously? Have you ever stopped and looked at your own suggestions in the past? I'm sure there's others on here that would agree.

Edited by nikkachez

Nikka, I generally love your ideas but I have to agree with Scotty here. I think that lineup looks sickening good, but paper doesn't always translate to real production and it looks like a roster built on star power and name recognition as opposed to the fundamental make-up of a team of getting on-base, putting pressure on the defense, driving guys in, etc.

I like your effort in thinking outside the box, I just feel like there's too many things that could go wrong in that scenario.

Exactly, just a thought. Everyone always seems to be getting a bat and a pitcher (which I totally get, don't get me wrong) but maybe they do go after two bats. Only problem is fit because Cespedes or Upton aren't DH'ing. There's not really any other big bats that don't play the outfield unfortunately. Desmond and Wieters carry too much risk for me and Murphy is an absolute no. But I'm starting to lean more towards using the money and resources to beef up the lineup, bullpen, farm system, and bench (in that order). I don't know if I'm ready to jump on a hype train to overspend for a starter when, generally, pitches seem to carry more risk. Edited by nikkachez

Just going on this thought a bit.  But what would happen if the Angels sign 2 big FA OF bats?  And then trade Calhoun for a quality 2B, 3B or starting pitcher.  Of assets that we have, that would yield a high end young player, you have to put Calhoun at the top of the list.  

Not saying it's going to happen.  But if ever there was a time to spend, OF is just phenomenal this offseason.

Agreed, with so many good outfielders available via free agency I don't think it's crazy to consider dealing Calhoun, especially if the Angels signed one of the big name OFers (Cespedes, Heyward, Upton, Gordon) and one of the middle/low tier guys like Aoki, Rasmus, Fowler. 

Calhoun would bring in a haul - he's young, productive, cheap - yes, all things we need, but if turning Calhoun into two young, productive, cheap players at positions we need is doable, and you can replace Calhoun with a FA signing, you should consider it. Calhoun also won't be getting any cheaper. Also, if you dealt Calhoun for a starting pitcher (more likely, because a team needing offense likely won't be trading young positional players) it could set off a very interesting chain reaction.

Right now, the starting pitchers everyone is chatting about trading are guys like Wilson, Shoemaker, Tropeano, Santiago - we've all discussed their strengths and weaknesses to death. Wilson's expensive and coming off surgery, Tropeano is in AAA, Shoemaker is a mixed bag, Santiago was smoke and mirrors...they all have question marks, but they all certainly have enough value to fetch solid return. An imperfect player for an imperfect player, such as a Santiago for Prado. Maybe a steady veteran or some unproven prospects.

Now, if a Calhoun trade brought someone like a Zach Wheeler or Steven Matz into the equation, the Angels could then open discussion on some of our bigger named starters, such as Richards, Heaney, even dealing Newcomb could become slightly more palatable. Being able to deal a name like that changes the dynamics of the trade - Richards or Heaney would open up an entirely different dimension of players - young and talented. Think the Cubs, Royals, and Red Sox - they have a glut of young position players and a need for pitching. Jorge Soler? Albert Almora? Baez? Russell? Schwarber? Betts? Bogaerts? Moncada? Benintendi? Marrero? Raul Mondesi? Christian Colon? You're probably not going to pry any of those away with Shoe/Wilson/Trop/Santiago, but Richards or Heaney? You may be able to get a couple. 

And we would STILL have enough pitching depth to flip one of Santiago/Trop/Shoe/Wilson for another need.

You now have two young, cheap, league-minimum positional players. 

Your rotation is virtually the same as last year, minus Richards/Heaney, plus Calhoun acquisition.

You have signed your big name OF, and depending on the lesser OF, potentially without going over luxury tax. 

You'd still have some SP depth to deal from to fill holes on bench or bullpen.

And aside from possibly dealing Newcomb instead of Heaney/Richards, you don't necessarily have to deal much from the farm (yeah, may need a prospect or two to complete Calhoun trade or a Cubs/Sox/Royals trade) 

Best yet, you didn't do much damage to the team's long-term payroll. We have *maybe* room to sign one big name and that's about it, but you can offset that by dealing someone like Calhoun and Richards for scores of new young, cheap players. Calhoun and Richards will only start costing more via arbitration or extensions. 

Also, this is just a little more entertaining to think about rather than rehashing the same discussions on Heyward, Upton, Cespedes each thread. Each have pros and cons. None of us know which one will be the best bet.

Edited by totdprods