• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jeff Fletcher: Angels To Meet With Freese's Agent This Week

VariousCrap

that's a perfectly fine retort, but i don't think your conclusion was as definitive as you made it out to be. the top 10 3b played an avg of 152 games this year. david freese? 121,134,138,144. he has a history of back problems and next season is his age 33 season. if we sign him to a conservative 3 or 4 year deal as MANY on here are advocating, then we will be paying a 33-37 year old 3b with back problems and poor fielding. it defies any reasonable expectation that he would increase his number of games played over those years. so yes, you will need another starting 3b for at least 35 games a season, if he didn't decline or get hurt at all over those age 33-37 seasons. sound likely?

Longer answer... He's going in to his age 33 season. At this point, the Angels know what to expect from him.  

You probably get 130-135 games per year over the course of a 2-3 year deal. I don't think David Freese is an injury prone player who can't stay off the DL. I do think he is heading in to his age 33-35 seasons with a history of back issues. He simply won't provide 152 games per year. I think it's a durability issue over an injury prone issue.

Defensively you get average/competent: solid glove and foot work, average but accurate arm, and a range that seem painfully limited. Offensively you get slight above average: .260/.325/.415 (OPS+ 100-105) 

I think a decision on the direction at 3B is entirely dependent on what other moves are made at 2B, C, and LF. There are multiple moving parts. If you go young and platoon Perez and Bandy at C, going with Kubitza at 3B seems like a second risk. Whether you stick with Giavotella at 2B or try to sign Zobrist or Murphy also factors in.

I'm completely undecided on whether it's a good idea to bring Freese back or not. Cost and risk tolerance in other area of the roster seems key. At the right price, he is a safe choice. I don't know if he is the right choice.

I really hope the Angels consider hard what a marginal player he is and don't over commit for him. Honestly guys, all the bullshit about win loss records are just that, bullshit. It just says a lesser player than David Freese doesn't help but Freese himself is replaceable.

He still a poor defender, is not a speed guy and not that impressive with the bat. So a steady mid 30's decline from average means you committed to a liability.I just don't see the upside here.

Longer answer... He's going in to his age 33 season. At this point, the Angels know what to expect from him.

You probably get 130-135 games per year over the course of a 2-3 year deal. I don't think David Freese is an injury prone player who can't stay off the DL. I do think he is heading in to his age 33-35 seasons with a history of back issues. He simply won't provide 152 games per year. I think it's a durability issue over an injury prone issue.

Defensively you get average/competent: solid glove and foot work, average but accurate arm, and a range that seem painfully limited. Offensively you get slight above average: .260/.325/.415 (OPS+ 100-105)

I think a decision on the direction at 3B is entirely dependent on what other moves are made at 2B, C, and LF. There are multiple moving parts. If you go young and platoon Perez and Bandy at C, going with Kubitza at 3B seems like a second risk. Whether you stick with Giavotella at 2B or try to sign Zobrist or Murphy also factors in.

I'm completely undecided on whether it's a good idea to bring Freese back or not. Cost and risk tolerance in other area of the roster seems key. At the right price, he is a safe choice. I don't know if he is the right choice.

Back issues? Honestly, I don't remember any back issues the last two years. All I remember is the broken fingers.

My only concern with Freese is that if we sign him it means we probably aren't players for the big boys (Hayward, Upton, Gordon).

Why would Freese at $9-10m per season prevent signing a LF (Heyward, Upton, Cespedes, etc.)? He made $6.5m last year, so the incremental increase would only be $2.5m - $3.5m. Declining the options on David Murphy and David DeJesus saved $12m already.

Why would Freese at $9-10m per season prevent signing a LF (Heyward, Upton, Cespedes, etc.)? He made $6.5m last year, so the incremental increase would only be $2.5m - $3.5m. Declining the options on David Murphy and David DeJesus saved $12m already.

It probably wouldn't, but my preference would be one of the big four left fielders and one of the big three second baseman. In that case, i don't see any scenario in which we could also sign Freese.

I would try to work Cowart to be a utility guy like Zobrist. He is a plus defender at third and could probably be adequate at second and Short, they could also try him in the outfield during the spring. He would have to be better than

Featherston. I wouldn't go past 2 and a club option for a third year for Freeze. At his age anything beyond is too risky.

It is time for the organization to start developing position players to plug into the vacancies and stop relying on FA.

My only concern with Freese is that if we sign him it means we probably aren't players for the big boys (Hayward, Upton, Gordon).

Why?  Freese is going to most likely be affordable.  Why would that keep the Angels out of the Heyward/Upton sweepstakes?

My thinking would be: The Angels could decide to sign Freese for lets say 3/27-3/30 and then keep Johnny G at 2B.  After that, they'd have the money to not only sign Heyward, but they could also improve both SP and BP.

We'll see but I don't see us in on the big boys, regardless....if I had to bet on an OF'er, it might be Parra or Zobrist, no draft pick compensation....I don't see Arte suddenly blowing past the salary cap.....

I really hope the Angels consider hard what a marginal player he is and don't over commit for him. Honestly guys, all the bullshit about win loss records are just that, bullshit. It just says a lesser player than David Freese doesn't help but Freese himself is replaceable.

He still a poor defender, is not a speed guy and not that impressive with the bat. So a steady mid 30's decline from average means you committed to a liability.I just don't see the upside here.

agree.  

He's an average player as a whole.  

The problem is that we don't have anyone average to replace him.  I'm all for exploring other options, but there has to be more than what we currently have or there is gonna be trouble.  

Since we've had Pujols, Weaver, Freese, Iannetta, Wilson, Trout and Aybar all playing together we've had zero (0) playoff wins. I think it's time to start taking out the trash. Say goodbye to Freese and Iannetta this season and then say goodbye to Wilson, Weaver and Aybar next season. Leave the past behind and move forward rebuilding the team.

Since we've had Pujols, Weaver, Freese, Iannetta, Wilson, Trout and Aybar all playing together we've had zero (0) playoff wins. I think it's time to start taking out the trash. Say goodbye to Freese and Iannetta this season and then say goodbye to Wilson, Weaver and Aybar next season. Leave the past behind and move forward rebuilding the team.

If you want to move on from Aybar, he should be traded now with one year left on his contract. A lot like Kendrick last year. Maximize the return.

Aybar/Freese trash ... really?

If you want to move on from Aybar, he should be traded now with one year left on his contract. A lot like Kendrick last year. Maximize the return.

But then who replaces him?  We have absolutely nobody in the minors to take his place.