• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jeff Fletcher: Angels To Meet With Freese's Agent This Week

VariousCrap

Definitely agree if those are the terms. He has his downsides but he's been decent and definitely plays well in the clutch. It'd be an affordable solution that we could set early in the offseason and focus elsewhere. It'd take pressure off needing to improve 2B and C.

if you sign freese, then you might as well accept that you're going to be seeing a lot of kubitza or cowart over there because freese isn't staying off the disable list.

If they continue to develop, that's fine, that's what a good farm system should be able to do - fill inadequately when someone from the big club is down.

One of them has to at least develop into at least decent fill-in right? Aren't we due? :/

My only concern with Freese is that if we sign him it means we probably aren't players for the big boys (Hayward, Upton, Gordon).

Why?  Freese is going to most likely be affordable.  Why would that keep the Angels out of the Heyward/Upton sweepstakes?

My thinking would be: The Angels could decide to sign Freese for lets say 3/27-3/30 and then keep Johnny G at 2B.  After that, they'd have the money to not only sign Heyward, but they could also improve both SP and BP.

My only concern with Freese is that if we sign him it means we probably aren't players for the big boys (Hayward, Upton, Gordon).

I disagree; it may mean we only acquire one other player via FA, but I can see Arte going over tax for a year.

If there was a year to spend, this would be it. Good chunk of money coming off next couple of offseasons, and a thin class next year should eliminate some need from spending next season.

if you sign freese, then you might as well accept that you're going to be seeing a lot of kubitza or cowart over there because freese isn't staying off the disable list.

It looks like Freese played in 134 games in 2014 and 121 games in 2015. He's averaged 134 games over the last four years. He went on the 15-Day Disabled List once each in 2014 and 2015. Both DL stints were for a fractured finger following being hit by a pitch.

The narrative that Freese is injury prone is nice but completely unsupported by fact.

Freese is worth 30-35. I think the Angels might have an edge knowing how valuable he actually is. 

Please stay away from the big boys. This team is not 1-2 players away. More like 8-10.

Really?  8-10 players away?  If that were the case then spending 30-35 on Freese would be beyond stupid.   If you're that far away you don't pay top dollar for mediocrity, you sell off.

It looks like Freese played in 134 games in 2014 and 121 games in 2015. He's averaged 134 games over the last four years. He went on the 15-Day Disabled List once each in 2014 and 2015. Both DL stints were for a fractured finger following being hit by a pitch.

The narrative that Freese is injury prone is nice but completely unsupported by fact.

Except for the whole only having played in more than 140 games once in his entire career.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

that's a perfectly fine retort, but i don't think your conclusion was as definitive as you made it out to be. the top 10 3b played an avg of 152 games this year. david freese? 121,134,138,144. he has a history of back problems and next season is his age 33 season. if we sign him to a conservative 3 or 4 year deal as MANY on here are advocating, then we will be paying a 33-37 year old 3b with back problems and poor fielding. it defies any reasonable expectation that he would increase his number of games played over those years. so yes, you will need another starting 3b for at least 35 games a season, if he didn't decline or get hurt at all over those age 33-37 seasons. sound likely?

I really hope they find a way to bring him back. Some of the potential figures being discussed in this thread sound about right. The offense had something going for a few games at the end of the season and I believe Freese was a big part of that.

A guy who keeps his head and makes good decisions in big spots is invaluable. He's the type of player that will take the walk to keep a rally going. I truly believe he was an integral part of this offense and team last season. If I remember correctly the teams W/L record was way better last year with him in the lineup.

Freese is worth 30-35. I think the Angels might have an edge knowing how valuable he actually is.

Please stay away from the big boys. This team is not 1-2 players away. More like 8-10.

I agree with everything you said in this post, except for the 8-10 players part. I think that if we shore up 3rd with Freese, we're a top of the order speed guy and a middle of the order bat away from having a significantly better offense.