• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Simers awarded $7.1 mil

wopphil

I don't know if it can be appealed, but financial hits like this is something the LA Times or any newspaper can ill afford to take these days.  So many newspapers are disappearing.  As the population ages the customers for paper news continues to decline, there are so many other more efficient ways of getting news or reading opinions.

That's why I was asking.  That will hit the Times beyond what their insurance will cover, and will likely result in further cuts to the budget.  Simers is a giant POS. 

Any chance that the award gets modified?

There has to be grounds for doing so, and I am not familiar enough with the case to know whether there are such grounds. But just looking at the damages numbers, and because no punitive damages were awarded, I would say there probably are not grounds for reducing the amount of the verdict.

• 1 month later...

In reading the article, it appears he voided the award because it didn't meet constructive termination. Judge did say it would retry for discrimination, for which he found evidence

That was also my understanding from my cursory reading of the article.

From the little I know of the case, it seems the constructive termination claim was complete shit. But they usually are, because they are brought by people who quit their jobs then look for a reason to sue.

The crazy part is that the LA Times was paying him $234,000 to write a column three times a week!!!! WTF! And guess what? When he went over to the Orange County Register they paid him $190,000 for the same damn thing!!!!

I am in the wrong ****ing business! (sorry for the bad word but I'm stunned)

Who in their right mind would pay such a crap columnist that much money? No wonder print is dying.

Also I'll be speaking to Chuck about payments for my Primer series now! :)

Re-reading this I think Chuck will likely counter-sue me for non-completion of assignment! (Primer Series)

Sorry Chuck (and everyone) I've been incredibly busy with a new promotion at work and family visiting over the Holidays. Completing the Primer Series has been a real challenge not to mention that Arte, so far, has blown my whole premise out of the water.