• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Heaney while his stock is high

NrM

I think Santiago is the odd man out. He has some trade value after his best season. Way too many lefties around and he's the one that would get us the best return for what we are losing.

Not really. He's worth an equally decent back-rotation starter or a decent prospect

Typically I'd agree, but the Angels cannot improve enough to compete in the West unless they do

agree. I like him, really like him. I wouldnt want to lose him. But if the right deal came along...not a prospect, but say you could get an everyday 3B with a glove and bat? Id consider it.

LF is available in FA. 3Bs arent out there. Again, id be in no rush, but for the right guy theres very few guys on my no trade list.

FS I didn't know he dropped off that much but I would still take him as a buy low candidate. He has good at bats, draws walks, uses the whole field and I'm pretty sure he's a solid left fielder. I haven't watched him much this year so I don't know if he's gotten old or if it's a bad year or if he's hurt.

It seems as a lot of you on here put a lot on value on Heaney, and with good reason. I agree he is very valuable. He is young, cost controlled, is a 2 or 3 type starter with potential 1 type if all goes good. He also has proved himself at the major league level. This is EXACTLY the reason why it is worth looking into dealing him if the price is right, other teams see this as well and some of them are in greater need of it then us. We have an excess of young pitching and we can afford giving up a piece (yes, even a valuable one). Other teams may be in desperate need of this young pitching and may have good bats to offer whether it is an MLB impact bat or a few hitting prospects.

It sounds counter intuitive to trade a former prospect who has now had success in the majors for other unproven prospects. The thing is that you aren't trading pitchers for pitchers, I'd much rather have the pitching staff we have now minus Heaney but 2 big bats in the minors we can look forward to contribute in say 2 years. You don't trade Heaney if you lack young pitching but we have more than enough. Some of you are unwilling to give up piching value for offensive value and then complain that we are depleted in offensive prospect. 

At the end of the day you have to give to get. I'm all for trading Santiago but you will receive Santiago type  value in return. Or we can give Heaney (very valuable, as we can all agree) to receive the equal amount of value in the offense department. 

We simply can't consider anyone of value untradable. Mike Trout is the only untradeable piece. 

It seems as a lot of you on here put a lot on value on Heaney, and with good reason. I agree he is very valuable. He is young, cost controlled, is a 2 or 3 type starter with potential 1 type if all goes good. He also has proved himself at the major league level. This is EXACTLY the reason why it is worth looking into dealing him if the price is right, other teams see this as well and some of them are in greater need of it then us. We have an excess of young pitching and we can afford giving up a piece (yes, even a valuable one). Other teams may be in desperate need of this young pitching and may have good bats to offer whether it is an MLB impact bat or a few hitting prospects.

It sounds counter intuitive to trade a former prospect who has now had success in the majors for other unproven prospects. The thing is that you aren't trading pitchers for pitchers, I'd much rather have the pitching staff we have now minus Heaney but 2 big bats in the minors we can look forward to contribute in say 2 years. You don't trade Heaney if you lack young pitching but we have more than enough. Some of you are unwilling to give up piching value for offensive value and then complain that we are depleted in offensive prospect. 

At the end of the day you have to give to get. I'm all for trading Santiago but you will receive Santiago type  value in return. Or we can give Heaney (very valuable, as we can all agree) to receive the equal amount of value in the offense department. 

We simply can't consider anyone of value untradable. Mike Trout is the only untradeable piece. 

If there wasn't a guy named Trout on this team, I'd disagree with you, but since there is, I can't.

Mike Trout has forced this team into a win now mode.

No time to rebuild..Also, Pujols is probably in his last year of anything resembling even a shell of his former self.

We need offense now.  Not 2 years from now.  If we trade Heaney it better be for a big time bat that can help us this year.

I partially agree. Ideally we get an impact bat for right now, but 2 years from now is just as important. It is still part of Trout's tenure with us and we can't continue to neglect offense in our farm system. What are our other offensive options a couple years down the road, free agency? How well has that worked out for us in the past few years?

Edited by marcosantinia12

Should they have traded Weaver after his age 24 season in 2007 ?????

They could have gotten Andrew Miller, Maybin & other junk the Tigers gave up for Miggy.

Actually the Tigers would have given up less to get Weaver than Miggy who was a young super star at the time.

Edited by MikeScioscia4MVP

i agree with canadianhalo. this board has gone full retard. no way we trade that guy. who do we replace him with, santiago? that sounds laughable at best. 

Even if he never turns into a #1 and his ceiling is a #2, you can still win with a staff full of #2s. We should know best. Us and our buddies the Astros got steamrolled by a staff full of #2s in 2005. Those guys were trading CGs against both the angels and stros. Guess yall forgot already. 10 years is a long time I guess. 

i agree with canadianhalo. this board has gone full retard. no way we trade that guy. who do we replace him with, santiago? that sounds laughable at best.

Even if he never turns into a #1 and his ceiling is a #2, you can still win with a staff full of #2s. We should know best. Us and our buddies the Astros got steamrolled by a staff full of #2s in 2005. Those guys were trading CGs against both the angels and stros. Guess yall forgot already. 10 years is a long time I guess.

I dont think, at least most of us, are saying "try and trade him". Everyone im sure expects him to get better, and having young, good pitching is huge. But the point is, we need bats badly as well, and we dont have a whole lot of tradeable pieces to get said bats.

No one is suggesting heaney, newcomb etc for some freese type player. But if say the schwarber proposal (that the cubs wouldnt do) was possible...yeah, id probably do it.

As far as surplus of young pitching, after 2016 we only have what you think as surplus as the starting rotation. The fools gold is thinking your rich with a bunch of Un tested arms and trade what you know as productive simply because it is a good chip.

But let's be clear, Wilson is coming off his 87th bone spur operation, Weaver is never coming to spring training in shape. So those two guys are a big if to finish the season.

The wunderkind Skaggs has a career 4.72 era, higher than Shoemaker 3.68, and Santiago 3.55. So your depth is really anticipating big things out of a guy that us a #5 that will have limited innings over the year.

You really don't have pitching depth but you do have the opportunity to use some payroll muscle instead of killing the team two years from now letting go of one of your premier young, cost controlled arms.

As far as surplus of young pitching, after 2016 we only have what you think as surplus as the starting rotation. The fools gold is thinking your rich with a bunch of Un tested arms and trade what you know as productive simply because it is a good chip.

But let's be clear, Wilson is coming off his 87th bone spur operation, Weaver is never coming to spring training in shape. So those two guys are a big if to finish the season.

The wunderkind Skaggs has a career 4.72 era, higher than Shoemaker 3.68, and Santiago 3.55. So your depth is really anticipating big things out of a guy that us a #5 that will have limited innings over the year.

You really don't have pitching depth but you do have the opportunity to use some payroll muscle instead of killing the team two years from now letting go of one of your premier young, cost controlled arms.

And this is why I think you will see the Angels sign a starting pitcher.  It not be an ace like Price, but it could be a solid starter like Wei-Yen Wen or Yovani Gallardo.  If the Angels sign one of those guys, that gives them the opportunity to trade Santiago or Shoemaker.

And this is why I think you will see the Angels sign a starting pitcher.  It not be an ace like Price, but it could be a solid starter like Wei-Yen Wen or Yovani Gallardo.  If the Angels sign one of those guys, that gives them the opportunity to trade Santiago or Shoemaker.

That is moving in the wrong direction allocating payroll to buy pitching that you traded for prospects that can't help the team in the immediate future. So even after a prospect trade you still need to buy some bats. The budget says keep the cost controlled pitching because you won't trade for a better hitting player than you can buy.