• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marine layer, or the right field configuration?

With the talk of the marine layer, why is it then that right handed sluggers have still been successful enough in Angel Stadium since 1998 (current configuration)?

But only THREE lefty hitters have hit at least 30 HRs a combined total of FIVE times since 1998: Vaughn, GA, and Morales (30 as lefty in 2009)? 

Meanwhile, Salmon, Glaus, Vlad, Pujols, and Trout have hit at least 30 HRs something like a combined TWELVE times since 1998?  

That RF fence being a zillion feet up and normal distance from home plate doesn't help lefties any powering the ball.

Although one would expect a lot of doubles and some triples at least from lefties?

Something caused Joyce to totally tank immediately after being decent to solid for several years.

Same with Hackilton (ZERO home HRs in 2014)?

Focus on lefties who are gap hitters and solid OBP guys from now on.

Leave the power to the righties.  

Edited by Angel Oracle

Ok, since 98, what left handed "sluggers" didn't succeed here? I am sure I will miss some but here we go:

Finley- Past his prime, horrible signing

Matsui- Past his prime, still had good season, although most of it was after we appeared out of it

Hamilton- You can pick whatever reason you want, but I will start with he fell off the planet as it relates to being a talented ball player

What other left handed sluggers have we acquired since then? I know I am missing some.

Calhoun actually hit significantly better at home this year than he did on the road.

I think the problem is with signing guys like Ibanez and expecting them to contribute significantly. Not sure what the hell Joyce's issue was, but I don't think Angels' Stadium single-handedly turned him into what he became here.

Calhoun actually hit significantly better at home this year than he did on the road.

I think the problem is with signing guys like Ibanez and expecting them to contribute significantly. Not sure what the hell Joyce's issue was, but I don't think Angels' Stadium single-handedly turned him into what he became here.

Forgot Ibanez was on the team last year.

GA never had a problem with the configuration. Calhoun upped his home run totals from 17 last year to 26 this season. As was posted Teixeira hit like a batting champ for the short while he was here in uniform and  as an opposing player hitting 21 home runs in 96 games. I guess if you want to look at washed up players and **** ups then you see left handers having a problem.

It seems like older left handers moving from hitters parks seem to struggle. Makes sense. Joyce was in the AL East. There are tons of balls getting out in Yankee stadium, Toronto, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay that are outs or doubles in Angels stadium. I think we have seen this effect Albert a lot as well. His approach at the plate just screams "I've given up on going the other way."

It's also just as possible that these factors are mental, which would explain why some guys don't seem to have much issue with it.