• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I don't like this team

I just realized something. I've been an Angels fan for over three decades and will always be an Angels fan, through thick and thin, but it just struck me that I don't like this team and haven't really liked it for a few years now. It isn't the win-loss record, it is the composition of players, the attitude, the fire and soul. This team just doesn't have and hasn't had it for a few years.

Sure, there are players I really like; Lucho has been a godsend, and it is hard to dislike Aybar, or Weaver and Trout. And I can't say that I "hate" any single player. But what I'm talking about is the team as a whole. 2002 was eminently lovable because it was comprised of long-time homegrown players and well-selected veterans that gave it the chemistry that brought us a World Series. Even the 2004-09 teams--none of which made it back to the World Series--had a certain charm, from the Shields/F-Rod bullpen to the plucky energy of Chone Figgins to the free swinging chaos of Vlad Guerrero. But this team? It seems lifeless, soulless, undisciplined, and mercenary.

I hope this changes, that they somehow find the magic and gel as a team. But it is hard to see it right now, and it is hard to like this team.

I just realized something. I've been an Angels fan for over three decades and will always be an Angels fan, through thick and thin, but it just struck me that I don't like this team and haven't really liked it for a few years now. It isn't the win-loss record, it is the composition of players, the attitude, the fire and soul. This team just doesn't have and hasn't had it for a few years.

Sure, there are players I really like; Lucho has been a godsend, and it is hard to dislike Aybar, or Weaver and Trout. And I can't say that I "hate" any single player. But what I'm talking about is the team as a whole. 2002 was eminently lovable because it was comprised of long-time homegrown players and well-selected veterans that gave it the chemistry that brought us a World Series. Even the 2004-09 teams--none of which made it back to the World Series--had a certain charm, from the Shields/F-Rod bullpen to the plucky energy of Chone Figgins to the free swinging chaos of Vlad Guerrero. But this team? It seems lifeless, soulless, undisciplined, and mercenary.

I hope this changes, that they somehow find the magic and gel as a team. But it is hard to see it right now, and it is hard to like this team.

Dude, thanks for typing what I've been feeling for a while now too. I thought the fact that I just couldn't get excited about them anymore was due to my advancing age, but you nailed it. They just seem like a bunch of guys wearing the uniform that I have loved for 35 years, with zero connection to my idea of the Angels. Perfect example is tonight, after dropping two hundred bucks on the MLB Extra Inn package (like I do every year), here I sit watching 'Boston Psycho Russian Teenager' coverage, with no interest in watching the game...That would have never happened even 2 years ago.

Interesting post and I have to agree with it to an extent.  Part of it is just me, part of it is the team, but over the last few years there hasn't been much joy for me watching them play and if I have the game on I'm easily distracted from it.  Trout was a shot in the arm last year but some of his enthusiam seems to be lost. 

There just doesn't seem to be any fire or competitiveness there for me. 

I can't really agree.  I hate the losing, and I hate the way our pitching staff nibbles at the plate and bleeds runs, but I absolutely love the composition of the players in the field.  Even the other guys like Iannetta and our new 3B have really grown on me.  It's just that I'm always angry at the scoreboard and the way they're playing.

I just want to see them provide more consistent offense.  More swagger at the plate, and more team production overall like we're seeing tonight, and the most important thing the pitching doing their jobs like we saw tonight.

For me what I really want to see is them meld into a TEAM.  I don't know if the pitching will let that happen this season, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Dare I say.....leadership?

Our 'leadership' in '02 had a different feel to it. Expectations were different.....remember, we weren't even expected to beat NY!

Our front office folks have drastically changed. Even in spring training, the club house is so much different now.

I am NOT saying it's bad leadership....and I am NOT putting the entire 'chemistry' thing on Scioscia, THAT would be idiotic. It's above him....

We are going to be fine, this season is going to be a whole lota fun. The PLAYERS need to take 'ownership' as a team and then we will see some of that chemistry we all love.

Losing Torii.....sucked! Move on and just play our game and WIN DAMN IT!!

MacNasty, I like the team on paper but it feels like the sum is less than the parts. The key quality of 2002, and many other World Series champs, is that the sum is MORE than the parts. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I think swapping Hunter for Hamilton epitomizes the "all-head, no-heart" approach Dipoto has taken.

This team has as many home grown players as 2002 they just simply aren't as talented. The "mercenaries" they brought in are not the fiery type of guys like an Erstad. When healthy, this team could be fun to watch. I am looking forward to watching Aybar and Lucho play together along with Trout and see how they feed off each other. The teams are pretty similar to be honest, the one big difference is we don't have a shut down bullpen these days.

Interesting post and I have to agree with it to an extent.  Part of it is just me, part of it is the team, but over the last few years there hasn't been much joy for me watching them play and if I have the game on I'm easily distracted from it.  Trout was a shot in the arm last year but some of his enthusiam seems to be lost. 

There just doesn't seem to be any fire or competitiveness there for me. 

This thread, and my comment, were well-timed.