• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kubitza at 2b?.....

DMVol

I've been looking at the financials for next season and the Angels need to find low cost solutions and this possibility crossed my mind. Cowart might actually be better defensively at 2B but if either one can manage the position defensively both could be regulars next season.

I think many on this board have abandoned hope for this kid prematurely, much like they did Cron and Calhoun before him. Kubitza is going to be a good major league regular. He has tons of extra base power, is left handed and has great plate discipline. If he can play second base then more power to him. I still view him as our future at third base. I just have a hard time seeing Cowart making it offensively, despite his hot streak in AAA.

I think many on this board have abandoned hope for this kid prematurely, much like they did Cron and Calhoun before him. Kubitza is going to be a good major league regular. He has tons of extra base power, is left handed and has great plate discipline. If he can play second base then more power to him. I still view him as our future at third base. I just have a hard time seeing Cowart making it offensively, despite his hot streak in AAA.

I think you are on the mark Scotty.  I'd put my money on Kubitza before Cowart.

I'm down with Kubitza and Cowart at 2B and 3B next year if we get a catcher that can hit, a productive LF and another top tier starting pitcher. 

If we look at the bigger picture, this doesn't seem like the best investment at first glance.  The Angels are right up against what appears to be their payroll limit.  If they do intend to jump over the luxury tax, acquiring a decent offensive catcher, good LF and top tier SP seem like the biggest jump imaginable.  I mean we're talking 10-15 million for the catcher (if he exists), 15-20 million for a truly productive (one that produces runs) LF, and an additional 20 million on a top tier SP.  We're talking potentially adding an additional 50+ million in payroll and jumping into the 200 millions for that team.

It's more likely (and better fiscally) if the Angels ended up getting the productive LF you mention (Heyward please) at 20 million, promoting Bandy to split duty at catcher, choosing between Kubitza and Cowart at 3B, bringing Kendrick back to play 2B at 12 million a year, and then waiting until the second half of next year so you can insert Sean Newcomb and Chris Ellis/an improved Tropeano into the rotation.  If we consider the 6 million we're removing from Freese's departure, this team would only then be adding roughly 25 million, which increases payroll to a more manageable 175 million, which likely dips further down toward 150 again after Weav and Wilson leave. 

The team would be better defensively at C, 3B and LF than they've been all year (run prevention), and we'd have a lineup that looks something like 1. Heyward 2. Calhoun 3. Trout 4. Pujols 5. Kendrick 6. Cron 7. Aybar 8. Kubitza/Cowart 9. Bandy/Perez

That's if we can lure him away from the Dodgers first because they have money.

The Dodgers won't be retaining Kendrick.  They need a spot to put Jose Peraza and Alex Guerrero.  Plus they still have the option on Utley, which they'll likely decline but you never know.  He's from So-Cal, will be familiar with the Dogders and may choose to stay with them on a much cheaper deal.  

This leaves Kendrick.  There's a chance the Dodgers offer him the 15 million dollar qualifying offer, in hopes that he declines it and it nets them a draft pick, but that would put them in danger of him accepting it.  If he does, it complicates things for the Dodgers. 

As for the Angels, Kendrick has his family here in So-Cal, it's huge to him and he didn't want to move them in the first place, which is why he signed that team friendly contract with the Angels.  He was excited to have been traded to the Dodgers because it mean the could stay local.  If the Angels put out a fair offer, I'd be banking on Howie accepting it. 

Why aren't we worried about a drip in production from Howie ? He's never been a good on base guy or a particularly disciplined hitter. I love him but think we should stay away. I can definitely see him dropping right off the cliff. Give these young guys a chance and put the money into a legit outfield bat and a real starting catcher.

Edited by UndertheHalo

Why aren't we worried about a drip in production from Howie ? He's never been a good on base guy or a particularly disciplined hitter. I love him but think we should stay away. I can definitely see him dropping right off the cliff. Give these young guys a chance and put the money into a legit outfield bat and a real starting catcher.

More like LFer and pitchers will do.

I like Howie but this board didn't care for him. IP put it best when he said he was the most consistent boring .290 hitter the team has had. Howie on the team brought the IQ of this board down a few notches. I am not sure I could handle hearing about all the double plays he hit in to, FOUR YEARS AGO! He only had one bad year of hitting in to DPs but if you went off of what was said on here you'd think he was second in the league to Albert every year.

People seem to forget that turning a double play at second base isn't automatic. We really need someone that is able to "jell" with Aybar, otherwise our pitching staff is going to be over worked.

I hope that they can settle on the right combination before the season starts and not have to deal with the revolving door like this year.

If I had a choice ... I'd sign Aybar to a extension a priority in the off season. I don't envision the FO signing Howie with greater needs on the table.

I just don't see them sticking with Giavotella again or trying another patchwork job at 2B.  The free agents available at 2B are not very enticing outside of maybe Zobrist. They are going to have to sign somebody to play that spot and I think Howie is the most likely candidate.  Howie might be getting up there, but he is still better than any other option we have.  He plays well with Aybar, hits better than most of the current team, and the fans love him.  I'm still on board with the Dee Gordon idea some on here have proposed, but what does it take to get him?  It took Miami Heaney to get him and he is having the best year of his career right now.  I don't see how 2B is not a top 2 need.  LF, 2B, C, and bull pen are top needs.  C has basically zero better options than Iannetta so not much can be done there except to maybe sign Weiters.  And bull pen can easily be upgraded in the offseason.  LF has plenty of good options and so should be their main priority. Next to that is 2B where we have a defensive replacement that can't even play that good of defense starting at the position.  Before that we had a gritty short dude that the fans loved because he has been pretty clutch, but has still had overall average offensive value at best and is the worst defensive starting 2B in all of baseball.  That position has cost the Angels many games just because of poor defense. 

As far as Kubitza, I agree with the sentiment that they should see what they have in him now at 2B if that is even a thought.  At this point I wouldn't mind seeing both Kubitza and Cowart out there.  The Angels need to know whether or not they need to resign Freese and/or figure something out at 2B.  

Wieters is a DH waiting to happen.   No thank you

What this team needs for 2016 is not signing a FA catcher to start 110 games.  

What it needs is a veteran catcher acquisition to mentor Perez and Bandy, and maybe start 30-40 games.

If the Halos sign HK, the Raviners had better have made him a QO.    The idea of losing a solid first round pick to sign a 33 year-old 2B is not appealing.   I'd just assume that they sign Zobrist and keep that draft pick.

Cespedes for LF, and package Santiago to get a 2B.

Oh, and sign one or two QUALITY FA relievers as long as they don't cost a draft pick either.

Need to continue to spoon feed Badrosian and Morin, Justin Speier Smith is almost done, and Gott is still likely a year away from being a reliable set up guy.  

Edited by Angel Oracle