• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next Season

Stradling

Yes but then $40 million comes off the books after next season. Then $30 million the following season.

Yes that's correct but let's see what Arte wants to commit to. We don't know what he's thinking. He has to make a lot of decisions both on and off the field the next couple of seasons. Maybe Carol will tell him to just keep his money because he's been burned by high cost players. He is pushing 70 and he might decide to sell the team. We just don't know what Arte is going to do if the C of Anaheim tells him to pound sand. 

Lol. An Indian said it last time they faced him. It might have been Brantley. And I feel like another coach just said it recently. He's a great #2 at the very least. But a 3/4? Maybe on the Dodgers

Lmao @ trying to use a Michael Bourn quote as validation. Your posts are just as comical as QM.

Yes but then $40 million comes off the books after next season. Then $30 million the following season.

After next season, we will have $81 million committed to 4 players.  And of those 4 players only 3 of them will play for us.  Let that sink in.  $81 million committed to just 3 out of 25 people on the roster.  That's nearly 50% of the Luxury Tax cap.  

After next season, we will have $81 million committed to 4 players. And of those 4 players only 3 of them will play for us. Let that sink in. $81 million committed to just 3 out of 25 people on the roster. That's nearly 50% of the Luxury Tax cap.

And the Yankees will be freeing up $$$ in that same time frame. They always seem to get first choice of FA players.

I would definitely trade Santiago you can't afford to have a Santiago type who throws 100 pitches by the 4-6 innings. He puts way too much pressure on the pen. If Skaggs pitches well in the spring then put Weaver in the pen. He can screw with hitter's timing for one inning. I think Newcomb will be in the rotation by June-July. If Wilson pitches decently ge could bring a decent prospect in July.

Pujols is just dead money, and Arte has to suck it up.  And if the Angels have to go over the tax by Pujols $25 million and I would even Say Hamiltons $26 million.  So be it.  At least Hamilton will be off the book after 2 more years.  Pujols another 6 years.

And this won't be a popular opinion.  But if Arte won't go over the Luxury tax amount.  IMO, you try and trade Weaver, CJ, Aybar, Street, and Smith.  And no, I don't mean to trade them just to trade them.  Trade them only if you can get a top 10 prospect of their organization close to making the majors.  None of this top 10 org players in A ball who chances are won't see the light of a MLB field.  You might even have to trade people that are are approaching FA'cy.  

If we won't go over the tax.  We have to stop going half ass, and get a lot cheaper and smarter with our money.  

And if we won't go over the tax, then any talk of Price or Cespedes is a pipe dream, and even if we get them, it might just be to spin our wheels some more.

I read that in 2013

2014 was lightning in bottle, I wouldn't count on all of the following:

1) career years from many Angels players

2) almost no injuries (aside from Richards)

3) the Rangers literally having an entire team worth of players on the DL

4) the Astros and M's underachieving

And

5) the A's blowing up their team midseason despite holding the best record in the league at the time

All happening again

I would be okay with Murphy in left next season.  I'm also okay with Cowart at 3rd.  We need an upgrade at catcher, 2nd base, #1 starter, and 1 more bullpen arm.  We also have way too much dead money right now.  

The offense right now is absolutely abysmal, and the solution is to replace C and 2B - two low-impact offensive positions - and that's it?

my point:

prior to 2014 I kept reading how we were at least 10 years from competing.  Well we had the best record in baseball.

That is why I don't buy that we are a few years away now.

Problem primarily with the team has been the offense.  The loss of Hamilton (better than Joyce) and Kendrick along with slumping Ianetta to go along with half year slump of Cron killed it.

It would be nice to get a front line starter but not necessary.  I would like to see a true lead off hitter.  We need to improve second base (resign Kendrick????) 3b (can Cowart get it done?) Left field (prefer murphy as a DH)

It won't bust us to get Kendrick.  LF is the question mark. However, if I am not mistaken aren't we like 20 million under the cap now?  Can't we sign Cespedas or someone like him for 20 million Average?

Hell we have competed pretty damn well this year despite our offense sucking.  It wasn't until Trout forgot how to hit that the bottom dropped out.

I'd rather trade for the younger Dee Gordon, than to bring back the 33 year-old in 2016 HK.

Given Gordon's production the last couple years, and his low cost (he made $2.5M this year, I believe first year of arbitration), I imagine it would take premium prospects or MLB talent to get him, neither of which the Angels have. He also doesn't walk at all - his BA this year is .332 and his OBP is .357, which is a joke. He's never been a great BA guy, so if that number comes down at all, so does his value. In other words, he's at his absolute peak value right now and sure to regress. And when he does, you're talking about a pretty mediocre leadoff hitter. Not one you'd want to have given up premium talent for.

I think Catcher should be the teams #1 priority.

I'd love to see the team go out and get a legit two-way C. The team hasn't had one since Benjie Molina. But how many of those guys are there in the league these days, and who of that group is available. Outside of Posey and I guess Schwarber now (though he won't be a C for much longer), what C is going to make a big impact on offense? Not saying the team doesn't need a better C, I just don't know that it will do much to improve the lineup.

How bad would it be if David Murphy was our starting left fielder next year? Would it be all that bad? Then spend the money on a front end starter and a 2nd baseman? maybe a DH, although Cron might be ok.

How do you guys feel about Cowart?

I think Murphy certainly would be a good option for the strong half of a LF platoon. Out of the three deadline LF pickups, he has been, by far, the best option.

Of course, that's damning with faint praise, but he's at least been serviceable at the plate and in the field.

Yet people around baseball continually say he will win a Cy Young one day

Are these the same people who said that Kendrick was a future batting champ?

I think Catcher should be the teams #1 priority.

Nah, We're covered in that department. A manager should be the teams #1 priority.

Particularly, Darin Erstad.

I'd love to see the team go out and get a legit two-way C. The team hasn't had one since Benjie Molina. But how many of those guys are there in the league these days, and who of that group is available. Outside of Posey and I guess Schwarber now (though he won't be a C for much longer), what C is going to make a big impact on offense? Not saying the team doesn't need a better C, I just don't know that it will do much to improve the lineup.

Matt Weiters or Caleb Joseph would be an improvement over Ianetta.. One of them should be available.  Perez needs to play the rest of the season to see if he can be the guy.    

Here is your list of 2016 catcher free agents (according to Cot's/BP):

Alex Avila
Chris Ianetta
John Jaso
Jeff Mathis
Dioner Navarro
Brayan Pena
A.J. Pierzynski
Matt Wieters

Navarro is a good hitter, but not a good backstop.

I think, out of these options, I'd want Pena.

1.  Fire Scioscia and hire manager who can work with and develop young talent.

2. Base team on pitching and defense.  Put best defender at each position.

2. Change the makeup of the lineup by trading for Dee Gordon (Santiago and Baldoquin + others if needed).  Get better defense at 2nd and have a lead off hitter with speed.

3. Trade Weaver...hurts to see him pitch with 84mph fastball.

4. Trade CJ Wilson when he's healthy and insert Newcomb into the starting rotation (Richards, Heaney, Newcomb, Skaggs and Shoemaker/Ellis/Tropeano..etc).

5. Put Cowart at third and let him play.  What a defensive player he is and he's looked ok offensively so far.

6. Resign Aybar.

7. Let Perez play everyday.  Ward is two years away.  Don't sign Wieters.  He's always on the injured list these days.

8. Sign Heyward for whatever it takes. Great defense, young, productive hitter.  Don't...don't...don't sign Cespedes.

9. Resign Murphy and platoon Murphy and Cron at DH.

Lineup:

Gordon, Calhoun, Trout, Pujols (were stuck with him), Heyward, DH (Cron or Murphy), Aybar, Cowart, Perez