• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cameron Maybin available?

Chuck

Maybin has posted one of the best overall seasons of his career (.294/.363.416, seven homers, 39 RBI, 15 steals). Buster Olney said the Braves may be willing to part with him since they have a Eury Perez, a similar speedy CF. 

I'd look at this. Can you imagine that outfield defense and we'd get a speed guy at the top of the lineup. 

Would rather have Maybin over Revere. The Giants are said to be interested in both Maybin and Parra. I like Parra as well. 

Maybin is incredibly talented and is a bit of a late bloomer because he never realized this talent until a few years in.  I'd rank him slightly over Revere and considerably over Parra.

The only issue with that of course would be that Maybin's asking price is likely to be quite high. 

Looking at his stats, the encouraging thing with Maybin is that his LD% is way higher than past seasons (almost a 6% increase, which normally isn't a fluke over such a large sample size).  It seems like he must have changed some mechanic in his swing that is greatly increasing his hard contact rates.  At first glance he looks like a guy primed for regression over the second half (unsustainable HR/FB%, way higher BABIP than average, etc.), but if he really has made improvements in his swing it may just be a new and improved version of Maybin.

He's also signed through next year and has a team option for 2017, so that's another plus. 

Edited by Reveille1984

I'd prefer to stay away from career NL hitters -- I know he had a taste of MLB with the Tigers but, it was a taste.

Maybin might be having a fluke year.   His numbers are completely out of line with his career.  We are talking about a guy who has only posted a batting average over .250 once, in his career and an OBP above 320 twice.   His neutral park numbers are kinda worrisome as well - .248/.296/.361, those are right in line with his previous two seasons.

He's a legit glove man though.

Maybin would be a good pickup. And while I don't doubt the asking price would start high, let's not forget the Braves had to take on his contract in a bad money swap just a few months ago. They might seize upon a golden opportunity to sell high and get out from underneath his contract while they can (something that would have been unthinkable a few months ago).

Maybin would be a good pickup. And while I don't doubt the asking price would start high, let's not forget the Braves had to take on his contract in a bad money swap just a few months ago. They might seize upon a golden opportunity to sell high and get out from underneath his contract while they can (something that would have been unthinkable a few months ago).

Dang -- he is due some money...  basically 9 mil per the next two years.   Not Elvis Andrus money but still a lot for a glove guy who will play LF...

Kind of weird how his dWAR fluctuates, which only further makes me believe defensive metrics are worthless in their current stage.  In 2011 and 2012 he was a 4.5 and 3 win player, making him a borderline all-star in terms of value, but these were largely buoyed by 2 and 1.3 dWAR, which only confirms how outstanding of a defender he is. Statcast indicates he hasn't lost a step, he's still motoring at the same speed. 

Yet for some odd reason he has a -1.1 dWAR this year.  

Whatever, an OF with Maybin in LF, Trout in CF and Calhoun in RF can prevent a lot of runs. 

I don't see Maybin moving the Angels forward in balance to what he would cost. He also had a history in San Diego of not staying healthy and I certainly would consider his career up to this season as more indicative of the player on the blocks than the idea that he suddenly found his stroke at the plate at 28. He is a classic sell high player that will come crashing to the ground. I'd rather that ground not be located in Anaheim.

I don't see Maybin moving the Angels forward in balance to what he would cost. He also had a history in San Diego of not staying healthy and I certainly would consider his career up to this season as more indicative of the player on the blocks than the idea that he suddenly found his stroke at the plate at 28. He is a classic sell high player that will come crashing to the ground. I'd rather that ground not be located in Anaheim.

could not. agree. more.

My order of preference in guys we could acquire to better our team.

1. Parra

2. Maybin

3. Lind

4. Revere

I hope we can acquire one of 1, 2 or 4 with Lind. 

1. Reddick

2. Lind

3. Parra

4. Maybin

Eleventy Billion: Revere