• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Help me out (re: Santiago)

Here is a guy who has always had the excellent promise, and even with the past issues with putting batters away, his ERA has never, eeever risen to even 4.00 for a season. 

Now we see him putting batters away after 2 strikes much better, and he is averaging 6 innings/start and has one of the best ERA's in the league AND a solid 1.13 WHIP.

Why then are many still clamoring to trade him?

Is it because we have other future lefty starters in Newcomb, Nate Smith, and Skaggs?

News flash, unlike Santiago, they have not pitched up here for a full season like he has.

They aren't sure things, but in Newcomb's and Smith's cases could be great trade collateral for a solid LF hitter who can also actually field, and in Skaggs case he's not a sure thing after TJ surgery.

Nibs, of course, they can feel free to deal away anytime through the off-season.

Solid lefties DON'T grow on trees!   Santiago is also under club control until, iirc, after 2018.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Personally I like Santiago a lot and hope he stays. However some teams may not want a year and a half of C.J. Wilson and would prefer Santiago's extra year of team control.

I think he will not be traded right now and will be with the team through the end of next season. But if we have to give to get the right bat in our lineup who knows?

Also if the Angels see Skaggs progressing well in the off-season they may trade Hector before next year or re-sign Hector and trade Skaggs (less likely I think).

You're right he's solid, AO. He's unrefined in certain areas but he's putting in the work and getting good results.

Santiago is due for a fall. His ERA is 2.58 and his FIP/xFIP are 4.23/4.46. He can't keep this up for long.

Although I agree his peripherals scream regression, FIP and xFIP don't take into account spin rate and quality of contact which I think are Hector's specialties (not unlike Weaver).

Plus haven't his FIP's always been making his ERA seem unsustainable throughout his career back to his ChiSox days? 

He might just be one of those guys who always has that makeup, and will continue to keep the runs allowed down, as Ettin is saying?

Not an ace, but say a solid #3 guy; and when you have a lefty that good, it is advisable to make every possible effort to keep him. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

i like santiago too...was thinking teams would prefer him as he was under control thru 2018...but he needs to be valued more and not as a shit pitcher.  if he is traded something very valuable needs to come back as he is being traded out of the rotation and being plugged straight into another one.  he is not a prospect.  last half of last year and first half of this year with an era under 3...i know people will say his shit won't hold...but it has for a full year.  If something big does not come back...i am good keeping him!!!

Santiago would bring us a HUGE haul in return contrary to what most people think.

Once Weaver comes back you have to think about dealing him for a legit hitter and quite possibly, a hitting prospect in return. Heaney takes his place. If Weaver gets hurt, Tropeano steps in.

He's really the team's best trade asset right now. Wilson isn't going to bring as much because of his contract and age, and Richards will not be traded period (nor should he be).

I'd rather keep him and package Tropeano, Rhoades, Smith, Alcantara, etc... but I can see the value in either scenario.

Although I agree his peripherals scream regression, FIP and xFIP don't take into account spin rate and quality of contact which I think are Hector's specialties (not unlike Weaver).

This.

He's outpitched his FIP and xFIP throughout his whole career. He may regress, but it won't be by much.

It's mind boggling how undervalued Santiago is on this board.

cj wilson btw....can always be a decent trade piece.  the more salary we eat the more valuable he becomes.   that scenario with washington is not that crazy

seems like he is 5050 on this board....some seem to think the prospects in the minors will jump right in and boot him out...it doesn't work like that...it took richards a little while to gain footing...he had decent expectations.

Santiago has been great so far but I don't think he has as much value in the trade market as others on this board do. He's pitching a little better than his advanced stats suggest, he's due for a raise after this year and doesn't really go deep into games. I think he's most valuable on our roster and the best move for the Angels is to keep him.

I've always liked the guy. As soon as he got traded he was pumped and interacted with fans and just seemed super excited for the next season to start. You can tell he gives 100% all the time as shown by his occasional snaps when taken out of games.

I also never really got why a lot of people wanted him move to the pen this year. I'm guessing partially due to the expectation of the new pitching acquisitions. I guess he also had some ground to make up with the fans after the slow start. Never easy.

Thought he'd have a good year this season but what do I know, I thought Pestano would as well.