• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fun fact about US military spending

I'm pointing out some tricks of the trade for people who don't have experience talking to progressive people. I've argued with friends about military versus education spending and they do things like only including federal spending, excluding private spending on education, or including retirement expenses for one and not the other.

General tips include: First, fight through the insults and charges of racism, sexism, or not caring. Second, argue apples and apples. Third, decide whether you're arguing the principle or that they don't want this group to win.

Once you know the game, it's easy.  

Edited by Juan Savage

Another general trick is to make sure you're both arguing for the best way to a common goal. For example, Vietnam. Most leftists were very happy to abandon Vietnam to the communists because they hated conservatives and the US more than they hated communists, if they didn't outright support communists. So, what's to argue?

It's like Iraq. Do you think most liberals give a rat's behind that ISIS is running wild, beheading Christians and raping women? No, they see it as a repudiation of Bush, their real enemy.

Some people thought fighting communism was worth it. Ask South Koreans if they thought the Americans shouldn't have involved themselves in their civil war.

But, we can settle this pretty quickly. Who did your lefty college friends and professors think was worse, Pinochet or Castro?

Edited by Juan Savage

Some people thought fighting communism was worth it. Ask South Koreans if they thought the Americans shouldn't have involved themselves in their civil war.

But, we can settle this pretty quickly. Who did your lefty college friends and professors think was worse, Pinochet or Castro?

My guess is that the breakdown of who thought Vietnam was worth fighting can be broken down into those who could get a draft exemption and those who could not.

Well, most are probably proud of their son's sacrifice. It really just depends on whether you think the cause is just or not. I think we provided a huge service to the world by preventing communist take overs in Europe and other places and I regret we couldn't do the same in other places either because it was inpractical or the people in power didn't feel the same.

You don't, which is fine, as long as we're honest with other.

Right. I'm a nutjob. Can you name a person on the left who regrets leaving Iraq so that ISIS can take over large parts of the country to behead people? You realize that we could have left a small force there to prevent this, but Obama refused.

Or we could have insisted that they write a constitution that protected all the citizens instead of letting Bush' handpicked boy create a divide so great that ISIS is a better option. We could have left it alone in the first place. We could do many things that don't involve troops.

Or we could have insisted that they write a constitution that protected all the citizens instead of letting Bush' handpicked boy create a divide so great that ISIS is a better option. We could have left it alone in the first place. We could do many things that don't involve troops.

Not even an option, apparently. Iraq was like WWII x 10.