• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fun fact about US military spending

The cost of care for COPD, hypertension, etc.  It might cost less for social security but the people who smoke don't just die early, they also have much more healthcare needs than someone who doesn't.

I have to say, in 2015 it is weird to be arguing whether or not smoking is bad for your health.

I didn't argue that it wasn't bad for your health. It doesn't affect the point I was making-that people need to generalize to make sense out of anything and good data leads to good generalization, but your assertion only makes sense if an insurance company only covers a person to a certain age, say 65. Then, smokers will be more likely to develop some health issues before then and cost the company money. I can see this for life insurance as well. Overall, since almost everybody dies because of some sickness or malady, almost everybody costs lots of money. The longer one lives, the more health care costs they accrue. 

For those who don't think generalizations help, the moderator can ban generalizations. 

Edited by Juan Savage

Again, there is a reason why health insurance premiums are more for smokers.  Smokers have more healthcare costs.  That is a fact.

Saying everybody dies and it is expensive is also too much of a generalization.  Sure some non smokers die of a long expensive illness, however, smokers are more likely to be chronically ill and have high healthcare costs.  Lung Cancer kills more Americans than anything else and it is very expensive to treat.