• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Stadium Renovation

I don't really know what is wrong with the current stadium that can't be fixed with a serious remodel. Seems to have a pretty standard design that works well for watching baseball. Needs new bathrooms and plumbing, and whatever "infrastructure" makes the food service so awful. I'm sure Arte would like more suites etc. None of this is insurmountable.

But it'll never be safeco or AT&T or petco because it will never be in a town like Seattle or San Francisco or San Diego.

I agree. I don't think it's that bad at all. It's certainly not a hellhole like that other stadium in LA. Overhauling the food would probably do a world of good to enhance the experience without making any other changes at all.

And getting some new staff, maybe, because some of the ushers who work at Angels Stadium seem to have horrific attitude problems.

Edited by AngelsSurfer

If Arte wants to further the image of the Angels franchise, keep the fans happy and attract new fans, he really needs to build a new stadium in the current location. That's the best situation for all involved. Build up or work with a developer for some mixed use developments adjacent to the stadium with eating, shopping and hotel options. Make the space more lively on game days, and if the tenant mix is right, it would be successful by itself in the offseason. Like others have said, start building in the parking lot adjacent to the stadium, and demo once the new stadium is built. He has a lot of space to work with and around, thankfully. Just need to hammer out the details with the City.

It seems easy to build another stadium but............with who's money? Arte is worth 1.5 billion. Arte is not going to spend $800M - $1Billion to build a stadium with his own money. He doesn't even own the land. He's pushing 70 and it will take him 15-20 years to recoup his investment. My guess is that he will do a cheap renovation job on the stadium or sell the team and let someone else worry about it.

I have a feeling, that when the stadium was built. The mountain range was supposed to be the backdrop. Then smog moved in and blocked the view.

Santa Anita Park gets rave reviews from out of town visitors, especially during Breeders Cup when it's at Santa Anita and filled with people from around the world, because the mountains are right there. The view is just spectacular to watch a sporting event.

Unfortunately for the Angels, they have no skyline or mountains to view.

As for location on the lot. Couldn't the Angels do what the Cardinals did when they did a renovation? Build like most of the stadium just outside of the current one. Then demolish the old stadium and finish up the rest in the offseason. Would be inconvenient for a season or two, but in the end, it'll be near the same location.

Actually the smog was much worse in the mid 60s than it is today. When the skies are relatively clear, the mountain range does look good even from Anaheim. I'm with the majority here. I'd love to see Arte and Anaheim work something out to build a new ballpark in the current parking lot and then build up the area much the way I believe they were planning to before the economic downturn and more. The plans surrounding the new Braves ballpark is a nice template.

It seems easy to build another stadium but............with who's money? Arte is worth 1.5 billion. Arte is not going to spend $800M - $1Billion to build a stadium with his own money. He doesn't even own the land. He's pushing 70 and it will take him 15-20 years to recoup his investment. My guess is that he will do a cheap renovation job on the stadium or sell the team and let someone else worry about it.

Sure, currently the City owns the land surrounding the ballpark, and I hope Arte and the City can work out terms that keep the Angels at that location. I have little knowledge of the process to build a stadium, who pays what, what investors are included, etc. I would hope it would be privately funded, but maybe there's a middle road between the two?  I'm not sure. I believe both sides have incentives to keep the team there and build a new stadium.

Definitely the downside of moving anywhere in OC, no city skyline.

Check out these drawings from Portland's failed bid for the Expos in '04:http://www.stadiumpage.com/concepts/Portland04_R.html

City skyline AND Mt. Hood? Move to Portland, Arte.

It would have been great to have the Expos (or any semblance of an MLB team) there when I lived in Portland.

Although they really shouldn't have even conceived of a stadium without a retractable roof there.

If they wanted to build an MLB-capable stadium, they should build it across the river from the Rose Garden, next to the Steel Bridge. You could get the skyline and Mt Hood, and it would already have light rail access.

Taxpayers are getting hosed on that deal and the county officials are hoping people will ride their bikes because they won't have any parking or upgraded transportation in time for the opening.

That might be. TBH I haven't examined the funding or parking. I was simply commenting on the plans of what's available around the ballpark.

That might be. TBH I haven't examined the funding or parking. I was simply commenting on the plans of what's available around the ballpark.

What's wrong with not-quite-20-year old Turner Field?

I don't understand why (other than $$) the Braves have to move to the suburbs.

I don't really know what is wrong with the current stadium that can't be fixed with a serious remodel. Seems to have a pretty standard design that works well for watching baseball. Needs new bathrooms and plumbing, and whatever "infrastructure" makes the food service so awful. I'm sure Arte would like more suites etc. None of this is insurmountable.

But it'll never be safeco or AT&T or petco because it will never be in a town like Seattle or San Francisco or San Diego.

You can build an even better stadium in LA/OC which is a much larger market than any listed.

What's wrong with not-quite-20-year old Turner Field?

I don't understand why (other than $$) the Braves have to move to the suburbs.

Does seem a bit unnecessary, doesn't it? The Braves attribute it to lack of transportation options in their current location, the fact that the ballpark was designed originally for the Olympics rather than baseball and that the new location is more central to their fan base.

Sure, currently the City owns the land surrounding the ballpark, and I hope Arte and the City can work out terms that keep the Angels at that location. I have little knowledge of the process to build a stadium, who pays what, what investors are included, etc. I would hope it would be privately funded, but maybe there's a middle road between the two? I'm not sure. I believe both sides have incentives to keep the team there and build a new stadium.

Here's the reality. Arte is already on the hook to renovate the stadium at a cost of $150m - $180m of his own money. Arte agreed to that when he bought the Angels and the lease from Disney.

Arte really doesn't want to spend his own money on fixing a stadium that he doesn't own even thought he's staying rent free.

That's why he tried to broker a new deal with the city to help him secure a new revenue source that he would use to renovate the stadium. He really wants to get out of that original lease agreement because he has to fix the stadium at his expense unless he opts out.

I agree that overall the current stadium is fine.  It's easy to get in and out of.  Lot's of bathrooms, bars.  Seats in the lower level are nicer.  Higher level they are tighter.  But much better than Doggie stadium.  

Biggest issue I think is underneath.  They don't have a world class clubhouse like the newer stadiums.  With training facilities, batting cages etc.  They were able to update it at Doggie stadium, but it cost a few hundred million.  The other issue is the outfield.  Since it was build on the old stadium foundation, it's really limited on what they can do with it.  You could even see the old stairs by the bullpen.  I'm not sure how much under the RF pavillion or even LF is used or if it's a solid rock.