• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should batters who charge the mound get suspended 30 games? (Poll)

Chuck

Should Hitters Serve a Longer Suspension for Charging the Mound?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hitters Serve a Longer Suspension for Charging the Mound?

• Yes, if you charge the mound you should serve a longer suspension
    • No, keep things the same. 5 Games Max for Charging the Mound

MLB Network's Brian Kenny says they should, yet he makes no mention of pitchers who should suspended a month who throw a baseball at 90 MPH at ones body. 

Anyhow, the poll question to you is, should hitters who charge the mound be given stricter punishment than the pitcher who beans the batter?

I say NO. If you're going to hit me with a hard baseball and I feel it is intentional, I too will retaliate and charge the mound. Oh and Brian Kenny also said that if hitters are charged with a 30-day suspension they will stop charging the mound. I seriously doubt that. 

Pitchers have too much power already. This is getting ridiculous. If Jonathon Sanchez broke his collarbone last night instead of Greinke, would anyone care?

I agree. Or if Matt Kemp charged the mound and broke Eric Stults arm, nobody in the media would be saying that Kemp should be suspended 50 games for breaking the arm of a nobody pitcher on a small market team.

You would have to suspend both parties equally. There is no way to establish intent so any response by the batter is in equal proportion to the event put in motion by the pitcher.

Let's remember that batters really are sitting ducks up there, the only defense being pitch recognition and reaction time. So in every case they are the victim being injured.

From 2006 on Carlos Quentin has been hit by pitches 116 times.  He is a plate diver and if he's going to do that he needs to accept getting hit.  

That being said, I don't think you have a static rule.  Each incident should be judged by itself.

What's interesting is that this is the first time he's ever charged the mound, and it looks like he wasn't going to until Greinke said something.

That being said, no way Greinke was throwing at him, especially given the game situation, but if Greinke keeps his mouth shut, he probably takes his next turn in the rotation.

Also, don't expose your shoulder and collarbone at someone coming for you, that was just stupid on Greinke's part.

Voted 'no', but would like to see the MLBPA get behind a notion that a player who assaults another (n/m the legal definition of assault) is personally liable out of his paycheck for any needed medical cost for his victim.  That crosses intentional HBP as well as charging a mound.  2nd offense, also pay the team offended for one day of lost time.  3rd offense, pay the team offended AND the MLBPA retirement fund a day's league average salary for the number of days lost.    Oh well ... that will never happen but would be just.  And save on the cost of risk insurance.