• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

FORECASTERS PREDICT DWINDLING CHANCES OF EL NINO

gotbeer

Was driving down the 5 the other day, one of those "valuable" sure to have been overpaid by the state information signs on the freeway said "Conserve water, serious drought."

Continuing on the 5 I see a sprinkler system, operating at high f**king noon, watering the unappealing, unneccesary shrubbery along side of the freeway. One of the sprinklers was spewing uncontrollably, facing the wrong direction, and raining on passing cars.

Way to go California.

I've noticed a couple things when I go exercising that scream drought conditions:

The dirt, soil, whatever you want to call it, on well-used trails is so dry that it's become like talcom powder.  One day I walked the entire distance (about 4 miles) being careful not to kick up any dust clouds, and yet I still came home with my legs and socks covered in it. 

Last week I was running on the trail and ran into a woody shrub trying to avoid a biker.  I've done this before and my leg hurt and bled like crazy.  This time, however, the shrub exploded into a million pieces. 

Many domestic wells are now dry in central CA.  Leaving people without any fresh water.

California has completely mismanaged this and not taken it seriously.  People living in Fresno/Sacramento apparently only have about 9 more months of well water left.  Then shit will really be getting bad.

Yeah, my buddy lives next to a lake/reservoir and you can see all the layers of depreciation as its drying up. Pretty drastic change from where it did sit til now.

I have a business partner considering a front office gig for a start up that is basically running a pipeline from the great lakes area to either SoCal or Arizona for drought protection.

Yeah, my buddy lives next to a lake/reservoir and you can see all the layers of depreciation as its drying up. Pretty drastic change from where it did sit til now.

I have a business partner considering a front office gig for a start up that is basically running a pipeline from the great lakes area to either SoCal or Arizona for drought protection.

Lol, that is exactly the problem.  CA and the people are so greedy.  They refuse to conserve, they are vampires taking from anywhere they can.

We will have rain this year

Yep

All 2.5 inches of it, joining 8.5 inches in 2011-12, 4.5 inches in 2012-13, and 3.5 inches in 2013-14.

Bearing in mind that the average is 15 inches.

This is already just the 3rd time since 1900 that there have been 3 straight years of under 10 inches of rain, joining 1922-23 through 1924-25 and 1958-59 through 1960-61.

This year (2014-15) will likely mark the first EVER 4 year drought (under 10 inches each year) in Los Angeles.

Oh, but we aren't in any danger.   (Not directed towards you ALB, just towards those who say it's not a concern)

What is crazy is that typically with El Nino local fishing goes insane.  And this summer it has been off the charts.  Bluefin Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna, Dorado, Yellowtail in large numbers and large sizes, so it's not simply a couple hurricanes pushing a surge because the numbers have been sustained.  Not to mention local Wahoo being caught and several Blue Marlin.   Species that are extremely rare in this area, and only seen in El Nino years.  Heck they even caught a short billed spearfish off San Diego, that's a tropical water fish.  Nature sure is making it hard to believe their isn't an El Nino coming.

But even the Sierras have had this same stupid drought for the past 2-3 years.

The snow melt runs off into the reservoirs and water systems throughout the state, and not the ocean.

Something else is apparently preventing the rains associated with El Nino from coming here.   What is that something?

Edited by Angel Oracle

Wouldn't it be nice if there were more rain catchment systems in place. That way we could actually use the water instead of watching it wash down storm drains.

North Orange County is pretty much one big catch basin. Most of the rain water flows into the Santa Ana River where it seeps into the water table underground. There is even a pumping system in place to let the water flow down the river again in order to collect more.

You have the largest body of water on the earth as your western border. Build a freakin de-sal plant.

that's just what i was going to post. i think they built one in or near santa barbara. it would make way too much sense to build one here.