• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rob Neyer on the AL West race

T.G.

"The AL wetht ith a tight raith thith year. With the trade of Yoenith Thethpedeth to Bothton for Jonathan Lethter, the A'th appear to be the favoriteth. They have the betht pitching thtaff outthide of Theattle in the AL and their offenth will pick up thoon.

The Angelth are jutht pretenderth at thith point and I don't think they have the pitching thtaff to compete with the A'th. Pluth, with Trout thlumping there ith no telling how their offenth holdth up for the retht of the theathon.

I predict the A'th will win the divithion while the Angelth lothe the wild card game to Theattle.

Billy Beane ith a geniuth."

Edited by tdawg87

The conclusion of the article is that the teams are quite even. Did you guys read the same article as I did?

"So forget about the run differentials. These two teams are quite even, qualitatively. The additions of Samardzija and Lester might seem to give the A’s a slight edge, but the loss of Cespedes – without anyone in particular to replace his production – makes that edge even slighter.

How even are they? When FanGraphs runs the rest of the season, they come up with a dead heat: 94-68 records for both teams. Baseball Prospectus, same thing."

Neyer: "All my gut tells me is that skill will be less important than luck, down the stretch."

This is a cop out... and his built in excuse when the A's fail to win it all.

We'll hear this "The Angels were lucky" - just like in 2002.  Not that luck doesn't play a role in baseball, but to summarize a team's success or failure with the term "lucky" is just weak.

Impossible to take seriously any piece that:

1.  Riffs on the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim name (I fell off my pet dinosaur I was laughing so hard!).

2.  Makes no mention of the Angels massive bullpen improvements well before the trading deadline (with the exception of Street).  It really surprises me that not much has been made in the blogosphere on how the Angels overhauled the pen with a gradual strategy as opposed to a trading deadline panic (see:  Oaktown A's/Lester).  I think the Angels created a new approach that will be copied by other teams in the future. 

3.  No mention of Erstad.

Impossible to take seriously any piece that:

1.  Riffs on the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim name (I fell off my pet dinosaur I was laughing so hard!).

2.  Makes no mention of the Angels massive bullpen improvements well before the trading deadline (with the exception of Street).  It really surprises me that not much has been made in the blogosphere on how the Angels overhauled the pen with a gradual strategy as opposed to a trading deadline panic (see:  Oaktown A's/Lester).  I think the Angels created a new approach that will be copied by other teams in the future. 

3.  No mention of Erstad.

Was it ever confirmed that Erstad bedded Neyer's girlfriend at some point? The hate was unnatural.

The Angels biggest weakness going in to the deadline was bullpen...and they made a number of deals to improve the bullpen. According to Ike they didn't do anything to improve themselves. Always hard to take him seriously.

A team only "does" something if it on the eve of the trading deadline and makes headlines.

Ummmm.... Am I the only one who didn't see all the vitriol that was apparently in that article?

I get the annoyance with the O.C. Angels but beyond that the A's have been in 1st place most of the season. I don't think it was unreasonable to mention them a bit more than the Angels in that article.

Sorry I guess I just didn't see what all the hub-bub was about. Maybe I should go back and reread it?

Edited by ettin

Ummmm.... Am I the only one who didn't see all the vitriol that was apparently in that article? I get the annoyance with the O.C. Angels but beyond that the A's have been in 1st place most of the season. I don't think it was unreasonable to mention them a bit more than the Angels in that article. Sorry I guess I just didn't see what all the hub-bub was about.

We have a long history here and from the ol' ESPN board of witnessing Neyer pretty much never giving props to the Angels.  He has a keen and obtuse infatuation with the Angels not ever doing any thing particularly right.  They only succeed if other teams do not follow Neyer's thinking or if the Angels are just plain lucky (or, are a fluke, as was the case in 2002, dontchya know).  So, our picking apart Neyer comes from years of Neyer being Neyer.

Damn, this usually gets commented on. Anyone remember him getting caught?

Totally forgot about that!

from neyer's wiki

One Day at Fenway[edit]

In September 2004, Neyer used a pseudonym ("Ike Farrell") on Amazon.com to write a negative customer review of One Day at Fenway, a then-new baseball book by Steve Kettmann.[22] Neyer subsequently took offense to positive reviews that he believed Kettmann's friends and relatives had posted.[23]

"How did this project go so terribly wrong?" Farrell/Neyer wrote. "Presumably the author wound up with plenty of source material, and so I can only assume that he [Kettmann] lacked either the talent or the time (or both) to shape the material into a decent piece of non-fiction."
[24]

A Newsday newspaper reporter quickly identified Neyer publicly as the actual reviewer.[23] On September 6, Neyer issued an article explaining his actions, "I had such a visceral reaction to Kettmann's book that I felt compelled to do something" and so, under a "pen name" he decided to write a customer review on Amazon.com.[23] "I didn’t even imagine that it could do anybody any good if I wrote as myself", Neyer rationalized.[23]

Kettmann responded: "The thing that I find strange about all of this is that [Oakland A's general manager] Billy Beane, someone who I thought Rob Neyer respects, read my book cover to cover and told me he loved it."[citation needed]

Rob Neyer isn't a very talented writer, but his posts have a lot of intangibles... they stir the pot, they give other people looking for a career in sports journalism hope, and they're good for a laugh or two - even though that's not his intent.