• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stock Market: The Thread

Anyone who invested shortly before the 87 crash and stayed in it for the long haul did fine and you can say the same thing about any 30 year period in the history of the S&P500 which has returned 10% annually since it's creation in 1928. From 1966-1981 the markets were flat once adjusted for inflation yet anyone invested from 66-96 saw 12% annual returns and 7% after adjusting for inflation. That 10% annualized return doesn't mean you're getting 10% each year it means some years you're getting 20, some years you're getting 0 and others you're getting negative returns. Past results aren't indicative of future results but I'll take history over chicken little's.

The difference between 1987 crash and 2000 crash is that by 1987 there was already a 15-17 year down period starting in 1966. Stocks had no place to go but up after that mediocre period.

2000 crash came after a record run up in the 1990s that bordered on stupid for tech stocks.

i wish bank interest was worth a damn so that my retirement savings wasn't affected by the mood swings of the stock market.

Are you near retirement? If so you shouldn't have anything in equities (for the exact reason you mention - you don't want it affected by the swings of the market).

If not, then you should be happy. This means you can buy while things are cheap.

Don't day trade your retirement, just keep funding it and ignore it.

Check in once a year and tweak your portfolio as needed.

Are you near retirement? If so you shouldn't have anything in equities (for the exact reason you mention - you don't want it affected by the swings of the market).

If not, then you should be happy. This means you can buy while things are cheap.

Don't day trade your retirement, just keep funding it and ignore it.

Check in once a year and tweak your portfolio as needed.

our 401k is run by our employing corporation, and includes all of the employees of the seventh-day adventist church (ministers and teachers). we can't trade stocks or do things like a private investor can. not sure of all the regulations, but we pretty much can choose whether to have stocks and bonds that are no risk, medium risk, or higher risk. i've played it pretty safe since i've been in it for the long haul, but i have the option to adjust periodically if i choose.

i'm looking at full retirement in about 10 years so i don't want to do anything too risky. i've endured the mood swings each time, and i'll endure this one.

Playing it safe is better than playing it loose but if you've been playing it safe for 20+ years you didn't do yourself any favors when you had time on your side and could afford to go higher risk.  That said everyone has a different risk appetite and what works for one person doesn't always work for another.  If you're 10 years from retirement you should have a good chunk in bonds.

I'd like to see the S&P hold 1900 or thereabouts; could be a buy signal.

1881 this morning and down about 2%. I just watched BofA's head of US high yield trading state that this the end of the credit cycle, default rates will rise and there will be massive outflows.

What I'm curious about is what the Fed thinks they're going to do. They already blew their wad when it comes to "stimulus." Will they go to negative rates?

I'm surprised to see there's no report from fs79 on today's oversold bounce

Was busy yesterday with work-related matters...would have commented on it. Yes, a big buying session yesterday, but reality intrudes today.

Oil is dropping through the floor, the global economy is slowing, earnings season is shaping up as a disappointment, and the Dow dropped 400 points this morning before recovering a bit. S&P is in full correction mode, down more than 10% from the recent highs.

This feels a little like the Fall of 2008 before things fell apart.

Don't feel too bad. An energy fund I own is down 23% this year already. No choice at this point but to hold on to it. It will eventually recover.

About 18 months ago I bought some stock on ESV a drilling company at around 48, it went down to 43 ish after about 2 months and I sold it. A few months after I sold it lost 50% because of declining oil prices, now it's at 9.25.  Energy and specifically oil is a dangerous game right now.