• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels' Jered Weaver isn't setting any speed traps

Chuck

Who is Jeff Sullivan and who cares what he thinks?

Some of Greg Maddux's best seasons was sporting a fastball in the high 80's. Weaver's no hitter last year, his average fastball for the night 89 MPH for the game.

I'll take a smart pitcher over a strong arm and nothing between the ears any day of the week. 

Ah...a Bobby Jenks reference! :)

It was 40 degrees out there.  WTF do you think was going to happen?!?!?!?!

Easy there Tiger. Step down from the ledge. I was just making the general point that everyone's velocity was down and that making a big deal out of Weaver after that one start that affected everybody might be a little rush to judgment.

Just like your post was.

Who is Jeff Sullivan and who cares what he thinks?

Some of Greg Maddux's best seasons was sporting a fastball in the high 80's. Weaver's no hitter last year, his average fastball for the night 89 MPH for the game.

I'll take a smart pitcher over a strong arm and nothing between the ears any day of the week. 

Exactly. I was thinking Maddux as well. 

Oh please, Chuck. All Sullivan said is that Weaver might not have a lot of room for error. The rest was me. This isn't about playing sides but trying to understand the situation clearly. I obviously want Weaver to continue to be great, but I'm merely voicing the POSSIBILITY that he might take a step down if his velocity doesn't pick back up. Not everyone can be Greg Maddux.

That said, I still expect Weaver to be very good for the next 5+ years, and I'm not even writing off continued excellent. Just voicing a possibility here.

Weaver is an interesting guy in that his motion has always been a big part of what he brings to the table and that despite pitching on a downward plane he's always been an extreme fly ball pitcher.  

While it's never good to see a pitcher losing velocity, with Weaver I'd always be more concerned if he suddenly started to struggle with his control/command.

IMO, he's one of those oddities that leaves guys wondering how he's doing it.

Easy there Tiger. Step down from the ledge. I was just making the general point that everyone's velocity was down and that making a big deal out of Weaver after that one start that affected everybody might be a little rush to judgment.

Just like your post was.

You read that entirely wrong if you think that was directed at you personally - "Tiger".  It was directed at everyone who was wondering why anyone's velocity would be down yesterday.

You read that entirely wrong if you think that was directed at you personally - "Tiger". It was directed at everyone who was wondering why anyone's velocity would be down yesterday.

Then you should have said so. Replying to someone's post makes them think you are replying to them, especially when using the singular "you" in the response. The implied language and excessive use of question marks and exclamation points only further leads to a defensive reaction from the person you replied to.

if weaver was strictly a fastball pitcher that had relied on overpowering hitters, i'd be greatly concerned.

however, since his strength is control and deception, i don't have any concerns about whatever the radar gun says. what he's doing works, and ultimately that's all that really matters. lots of different ways to skin a cat.

and don't forget, guys like tommy john, jamie moyer, john tudor, and some others still had success throwing in the 70 mph range. speed isn't everything.

Then you should have said so. Replying to someone's post makes them think you are replying to them, especially when using the singular "you" in the response. The implied language and excessive use of question marks and exclamation points only further leads to a defensive reaction from the person you replied to.

No offense, but I was posting on message boards when you were in diapers.  I don't need any lessons from you.  Thanks!

Evidently you still have a lot to learn, especially on maturity and not judging people based on their profile pic. People expect better from a supposed "moderator."

Keep it classy!

Brian obviously didn't wake up with any of the following today. 

A. coffee, B. a happy pill, C. a good attitude. D.reading comprehension

I apologize for his behavior. 

I don't need anyone apologizing for my behavior. But thanks Chuck.  Andrew, I will be PMing you.  Being nit picky does not belong on the boards.

Lol whoa, double up on that happy pill bro...

I think you can't take anything from just one game. His velocity was down, but game time temp was 48 degrees and his whole rhythm and command were off until the later innings he pitched. I'm not worried about it because he isn't a big velocity guy as well, like many have stated he has relied on deception and his off-speed pitches throughout his career. Throwing 98 is nice and all, but doesn't mean anything if you can't control it. Control is more important than speed.

Thank you for that Chuck! I won't hold this one person's unapologetic behavior against you and the other great folks at AngelsWin.