• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels' Jered Weaver isn't setting any speed traps

Chuck

Lol whoa, double up on that happy pill bro...

I think you can't take anything from just one game. His velocity was down, but game time temp was 48 degrees and his whole rhythm and command were off until the later innings he pitched. I'm not worried about it because he isn't a big velocity guy as well, like many have stated he has relied on deception and his off-speed pitches throughout his career. Throwing 98 is nice and all, but doesn't mean anything if you can't control it. Control is more important than speed.

I agree. The fact he got a lot stronger as the game went along said a lot to me as well.

Easy there Tiger. Step down from the ledge. I was just making the general point that everyone's velocity was down and that making a big deal out of Weaver after that one start that affected everybody might be a little rush to judgment.

Just like your post was.

In all fairness, Andrew, the weather was a factor along with it being the first game of the season. No pitcher is going to throw his arm out in weather more suitable for hockey than a baseball game. Nor are they ever going to feel loosened up after sitting in a cold dugout waiting to go back out there.

Also television radar guns are always suspect. FOX posted radar readings in the playoffs that was 3-4 mph faster than what the pitchers were throwing, partially from where they position the radar gun to pick up the ball nearer to release than the plate. So depending on where the gun is aimed is what where their speed is indicated.

In all fairness, Andrew, the weather was a factor along with it being the first game of the season. No pitcher is going to throw his arm out in weather more suitable for hockey than a baseball game. Nor are they ever going to feel loosened up after sitting in a cold dugout waiting to go back out there.

Also television radar guns are always suspect. FOX posted radar readings in the playoffs that was 3-4 mph faster than what the pitchers were throwing, partially from where they position the radar gun to pick up the ball nearer to release than the plate. So depending on where the gun is aimed is what where their speed is indicated.

So you're agreeing with Andrew that Weaver's velocity being down is nothing to be concerned with. 

I think it's obvious that Weaver's ability has always been about his control and deception more than anything else, but his velocity is still important, as is his speed differential (which is probably most important, you don't want him throwing 85 mph fastballs and 80 mph changeups.) I've considered his velocity drop as more of a conscious choice with him rather than a decline in physical ability. His delivery has become less extreme over time and I think he gained a lot of arm speed from his big turn that he doesn't have as much any more.

I don't know if I like the Maddux comarison though because while Weaver is very good at setting up hitters and he has good control, he doesn't have the elite control that Maddux had in his prime.

I think it's obvious that Weaver's ability has always been about his control and deception more than anything else, but his velocity is still important, as is his speed differential (which is probably most important, you don't want him throwing 85 mph fastballs and 80 mph changeups.) I've considered his velocity drop as more of a conscious choice with him rather than a decline in physical ability. His delivery has become less extreme over time and I think he gained a lot of arm action from his big turn that he doesn't have as much any more.

I don't know if I like the Maddux comarison though because while Weaver is very good at setting up hitters and he has good control, he doesn't have the elite control that Maddux had in his prime.

The simplified delivery is a great point! I was a little surprised that Victor Rojas and Mark Gubicza didn't mention it last night when they were talking about Cueto turning into Tiant. Weaver's gone the complete opposite with his delivery, though keeping the across-the-body finish. Weaver used to almost completely turn his back to the catcher. Kudos to Dream Weave for being able to find something more simple and repeatable while becoming an even better pitcher.

Brian mentioned last night that Cueto reminded him of Tiant but I had to disagree, Tiant not only did a complete 180 to the batter his head would cock upward to the sky as if he was asking God to please direct each pitch. Tiant was also very late to aquire the catcher on his delivery with a high leg kick while Cueto is close to a slide step on his delivery. Tiant is also a little sidearm while Cueto is more over the top.

The simplified delivery is a great point! I was a little surprised that Victor Rojas and Mark Gubicza didn't mention it last night when they were talking about Cueto turning into Tiant. Weaver's gone the complete opposite with his delivery, though keeping the across-the-body finish. Weaver used to almost completely turn his back to the catcher. Kudos to Dream Weave for being able to find something more simple and repeatable while becoming an even better pitcher.

Brian mentioned last night that Cueto reminded him of Tiant but I had to disagree, Tiant not only did a complete 180 to the batter his head would cock upward to the sky as if he was asking God to please direct each pitch. Tiant was also very late to aquire the catcher on his delivery with a high leg kick while Cueto is close to a slide step on his delivery. Tiant is also a little sidearm while Cueto is more over the top.