• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Kings Thread '14-'15

nando714

It's really not. Both teams sucked for a while, drafted well, and managed their assets skillfully (locking up their core while acquiring complimentary players along with a few top talents).

Both teams are in a bit of trouble cap-wise. I actually think the Kings are a little worse-off than the Hawks. The Brown and Richards contracts look borderline unmovable. I know Brown is actually contributing, but 5.75 for a 20 point player is pretty ugly. The Hawks can unload Sharp, who was largely unproductive in the playoffs, and Bickell. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the two bigger RFAs for both teams in Toffoli and Saad.

The Kings are loaded on the farm though. It will be fun to see those near ready prospects in Ontario from now on.

Not trying to be the Kings hater as a Ducks fan but two things:

1) they aren't that loaded on the farm

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team-rankings/fall-team-rankings-2014-15/page/2

Yes, I know they just won the Calder cup, but that doesn't mean they have the most talent (particularly young talent).

2) Prospects won't help alleviate the cap crunch unless they're good enough to replace current roster players. Looking at their prospects and roster, I don't see a true impact player that would replace the Kings higher priced players.

It's really not. Both teams sucked for a while, drafted well, and managed their assets skillfully (locking up their core while acquiring complimentary players along with a few top talents).

Both teams are in a bit of trouble cap-wise. I actually think the Kings are a little worse-off than the Hawks. The Brown and Richards contracts look borderline unmovable. I know Brown is actually contributing, but 5.75 for a 20 point player is pretty ugly. The Hawks can unload Sharp, who was largely unproductive in the playoffs, and Bickell. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the two bigger RFAs for both teams in Toffoli and Saad.

I think the Kings are actually worse off, and the Hawks this off-season will try and make some moves to avoid being in a similar spot to the Kings.

But I agree with the rest of your post on those specific players. Hawks will likely end up losing Seabrook too, and now they have basically a 3 man defense (keith, super nintendo, oduya). The Crawford contract is pretty bad too (why they gave that to him is anyone's guess).

I could see the Hawks missing the playoffs next year - they are really in a lot of trouble.

Guess someone will have to change this thread title now. ;)

They were the defending champs in 2014-15. Has that changed?  We'll have to start a new thread probably sometime after the draft and free agency.

I think the Kings are actually worse off, and the Hawks this off-season will try and make some moves to avoid being in a similar spot to the Kings.

But I agree with the rest of your post on those specific players. Hawks will likely end up losing Seabrook too, and now they have basically a 3 man defense (keith, super nintendo, oduya). The Crawford contract is pretty bad too (why they gave that to him is anyone's guess).

I could see the Hawks missing the playoffs next year - they are really in a lot of trouble.

I'm not sure how losing Stoll, Williams and potentially Sekera (depending on the Voynov situation) remotely mirrors the mess in Chicago.

They were the defending champs in 2014-15. Has that changed?  We'll have to start a new thread probably sometime after the draft and free agency.

ah - i thought you had a running thread over the years and just changed the date.

its all good, i was just giving you a hard time.

f*cking kings. i hate em but i respect em. ;)

I'm not sure how losing Stoll, Williams and potentially Sekera (depending on the Voynov situation) remotely mirrors the mess in Chicago.

i wont go into the details, im sure you know the issues (brown and richards contracts are awful, kopitar needs to be re-signed, williams, voynov, etc).

lots of RFAs (does toffoli get an expensive offer sheet? im sure he will, which means someone else will have to go).

i think the hawks expensive core is just better - toews, kane, keith and hossa. 

they don't have any albatross contracts (yet), kings have a few.

both are in trouble though.

hawks are definitely going to lose players this offseaon.

but i wont knock either team - they have produced and won in their window.

thats all you can hope to achieve.

trial for voynov starts on july 6 or so. kings still on the hook for his salary unless he gets convicted or traded.

no word on what's going on with Stoll.

team appears close to a new deal with jones. still have to wrap up Toffoli and start the process of a new contract with Kopitar (who amazingly is still only 27).

If the Hawks pull a Kings and miss the playoffs I will be so amazingly happy.