• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Current AL WAR Leaders

I actually love kendrick and think he gets way undervalued.  He's an above average 2b with solid defense.  We haven't had to worry about the 2b position for almost nine years.  What he doesn't do in high leverage he makes up for elsewhere, but his failures become memorable.  On top of the expectations that were initially put on him and he becomes a hater magnet.   

When the rumors of him potentially getting traded were swirling, I was against it wholeheartedly. 

I wasn't at all lumping you in with the Kendrick bashers.  FTR, I wouldn't classify the guy I responded to as a Kendrick hater either.  But there is little doubt Kendrick is one of those guys who gets raked over coals more than others and there are certain fans that will go to extremes to dismiss anything he does.

Trust me I get how it works, there has been a form of win probability around for a good 30-40 years... I also get what it shouldn't be used for.   And yeah -- Howie has never been a high leverage player... a fact the masses refer to as his lack of "clutch" and that's what his detractors are trying to convey in saying WPA is a more appropriate statistic to gauge him on than WAR.     That's the statement I responded to.  Honestly, I shouldn't have bothered... certain people have always and will always find a way to diminish Kendrick regardless of how well he may be playing.

I almost responded the exact same way as you.

People who constantly bring up WPA generally don't realize how it undervalues early game performance. Yes Howie striking out with guys on in the 8th is a memorable failure, but his big hit in the second inning to allow for the situation to occur is valuable too, but you won't see much credit given to it in WPA.

I enjoy looking at WPA, it's a fun stat, and it does have some merit, but far too often it is used to drive peoples agendas.