• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Week later? Still bad

Let's review.

Aybar, Ibanez, and Freese all still hit like Timmy Lupus!

Hank Conger throws the ball like Engelberg did!

Control is still a foreign idea to Halos pitchers!

Operation Clean Peanut is STUPID! Other MLB teams laugh at that idea and at the likes of Herrera and Wall getting chances while Rasmus and his sub 1.00 ERA and 1.00 WHIP wonders when the blank he is getting called back up!

Mike Scioscia still doesn't know how to use a bullpen.

Dipoto still doesn't know a solid reliever when he sees one, stupid given his being a former reliever!

Butcher sleeps like a baby while FAILING on the job!

Angry Arte could care less.

This team SUCKS! That is all.

Let's review.

Operation Clean Peanut is STUPID! Other MLB teams laugh at that idea and at the likes of Herrera and Wall getting chances while Rasmus and his sub 1.00 ERA and 1.00 WHIP wonders when the blank he is getting called back up!

Dipoto still doesn't know a solid reliever when he sees one, stupid given his being a former reliever!

We've missed you AO, but you know the three things I've bolded don't really make logical sense.  Either its a crappy bullpen or Sosh isn't using it correctly.

Angels starting pitchers -- 3.85 ERA combined.  Whether or not they maintain the pace is uncertain, but early on they have pitched well enough to win games.

I can live with the growing pains in the pen while they give time for Morin, Alvarez and Bedrosian to get more experience, I'm having a really hard time accepting David Freese when Grant Green is destroying AAA.   Green can't play 2B, he may be an awful 3B too, but Freese plays with a level of detachment that at times seems like it's just plain old disinterest and whatever defense we lose by going with Green seems acceptable given the potential gain on offense.

I love the team the Angels could have, I worry at times we won't get to see it until it's too late.  Freese couldn't hit his weight last April either -- just like Ibanez...  I worry that track record will buy them time.  

WTF is wrong with Herrera, AO? In five innings he has allowed 1 earned run and that was in his first appearance.

Yeah, I know he looked rattled in one of the games he appeared in, but he got out of it. 

Anytime you can throw 93-94 MPH, have a good slider and changeup, you're going to get some rope from the manager.

Some members here were capping on him for sucking previously in his career, but he was a starter and got destroyed in his first taste in the big leagues and suffered a couple injuries. Since getting converted to the bullpen he's been better.

The bullpen has been a ton better. 

Smith (had one bad outing, it happens to the best of them -- same with Frieri).

That said, Frieri, Kohn, Salas, Smith, Herrera have been pretty damn good lately. Jepsen is the one that needs to go. I'm hoping Maronde can give us length and get some lefties out along the way.  

WTF is wrong with Herrera, AO? In five innings he has allowed 1 earned run and that was in his first appearance.

Actually it was his 2nd, when he lost an As game for us.

And he's also given up 9 base runners in 5 innings, to go along with his matching 9.0 K/9 and BB/9.

He's still garbage. Hopefully Dipoto can see through the smoke and mirrors.

Edited by jshep

Some of the pitching was snake bit, like yesterday giving up only two unearned runs for a loss. When the offense falls flat on it's face from inning 2-9 you can't expect the starters or bullpen to hold every one run lead.

I think we've only had three bad bullpen outings that cost the Angels. Real blowups that left the Angels seriously behind late.

Giving up leads happen all the time in the game. One run deficits are recoverable with a good offense. The Angels have not shown that offensive cohesion the last couple games to mount a comeback and not to be too negative but they don't have the pieces to get there right now.

Hamilton and Calhoun can't come back soon enough.

The starters have been OK in the innings they have pitched, the problem is their pitch counts in those innings have them exiting games in the 5th and 6th innings. NO bullpen can pitch 4-5 innings EVERY game...don't care who they are.

The only pitcher I can remember going into the 8th all years so far is the #5 pitcher, Skaggs.

Edited by Homebrewer

Actually it was his 2nd, when he lost an As game for us.

And he's also given up 9 base runners in 5 innings, to go along with his matching 9.0 K/9 and BB/9.

He's still garbage. Hopefully Dipoto can see through the smoke and mirrors.

Joe Smith giving up 4 runs in the 8th is what lost that game not an 11th inning reliever giving up one run. Yeah, he technicly gave up the winning run. One run in five innings, if it happens any other game it is probably just a footnote.

Joe Smith giving up 4 runs in the 8th is what lost that game not an 11th inning reliever giving up one run. Yeah, he technicly gave up the winning run. One run in five innings, if it happens any other game it is probably just a footnote.

So what you're saying is he did lose that game. Got it. Thanks.

And even forgetting that that run did technically lose the game, he's still been awful. Because he's an awful pitcher.

You've eagerly adopted Lifetime's shtick so I'm probably wasting my time here, but...

My standard for awful ISN'T 1 run in 5 innings pitched.

My standard for awful is something like this:

-Extreme flyball pitcher

- 9 base runners given up in 5 innings.

- 9.0 BB/9

- 1.800 WHIP

- 33 year old career minor leaguer who has given no reason to think he's any better than that

I get all of the peripherals including asked to IBB 3 batters. But the guy is just getting his feet wet at the MLB level and you've determined he sucks after 4 games. Determined by stats that have yet to accumulate enough to really know if the guy is a back of the bullpen arm.

You guys are really quick to give up on any player, shit half the board gave up on Pujols and Hamilton and these guys have resumes of pure success. So excuse me if I just don't buy your assessments and let the guy show his talent over more than a token appearance.

Edited by Eric Notti

The starters have been OK in the innings they have pitched, the problem is their pitch counts in those innings have them exiting games in the 5th and 6th innings. NO bullpen can pitch 4-5 innings EVERY game...don't care who they are.

The only pitcher I can remember going into the 8th all years so far is the #5 pitcher, Skaggs.

the starters have the 10th most innings in 1 fewer game than every team above them.  If you take and avg ip/gs, the halos are second in all of baseball.  

also, the pen has allowed 14 of the 23 inherited runners from the starters to score.  If the pen had been average and allowed about 7 of those runners to score (about the avg for the rest of the league), the starters ERA would be 3.28

the halos have lost three games for their starter where they left in line to get the win.  They have won one game where the starter was set to take the loss.

the A's are 2 and 4 and the Rangers 1 and 5 in those situations.  

It's not rocket science here folks.  the bullpen has failed.  Granted, I haven't agreed with every choice MS has made in regard to their management, but by and large it's because they lack talent.  

The 3 IBB doesn't have any effect on his 9.0 BB/9.

I fully understand that Halomagic but it puts feet on the basepaths and yet they don't cross the plate. How a pitcher, a guy new to the league, reacts to pressure is more important than 5 innings where you can point to a peripheral demon. 

The Angels SPs have worked 112 inings, four behind the AL leaders and every team ahead of them has played one more game.  

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/127/league/al/sort/thirdInnings/order/true

The Angels SPs have worked 112 inings, four behind the AL leaders and every team ahead of them has played one more game.  

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/127/league/al/sort/thirdInnings/order/true

Thats what happens when I post things on perception without checking the facts.

We do miss DDLR, and Burnett was supposed to finally be ready to contribute something this year. Dipoto should have not counted on Burnett, but a healthy DDLR would have made a big difference....

Edited by Homebrewer

Thats what happens when I post things on perception without checking the facts.

We do miss DDLR, and Burnett was supposed to finally be ready to contribute something this year. Dipoto should have not counted on Burnett, but a healthy DDLR would have made a big difference....

All those extra innings games made it seem like the pen was in earlier than it really was.   The rotation has been pretty stout.

• 2 months later...

Let's review.

I agree