• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2 Weeks In..How Well Do You Think Replay is Working?

There hasn't been a lot of replay used in Angel games so far, but in watching other games, there have been quite a few disputed calls. What I have noticed more than anything else is how often, even after lengthy review, it appears that the umpires have been wrong.. and NY has still upheld the call on the field.

Could this be the effect of having umpires in the review studio? I understand that all the umpires will take turns working the video room in NYC, so I'm wondering if this reluctance to overturn calls will continue.

Also the time they are taking for reviews seems to be longer than it should, at least that is my perception.

Maybe they will get better (and faster) at it as the season goes on?

I would give them a C- grade so far, with what I have seen.

Edited by Homebrewer

I like it in concept, also. The actual results have been so-so in what I have seen. There was just a call in the Oak-Min game, where a HR was called foul, the replay that the TV viewers saw sure looked like it was fair, and they upheld the original call of foul. 

I'm personally against it, and I always have been. There are exceptions though : replay should only be used for home runs and maybe close plays at 1st. Bad calls and being pissed off about them is a pastime in and of itself (i.e. 2005 angels vs white sox...). Not to mention, I think correcting certain plays has subtle yet crucial repercussions to the game. I'd prefer baseball to never change, its been played the same way (mostly) since the 1800s and that makes it very special especially when compared to the nfl which has a new rule every day now.

The league needs more competent umpires though.

Edited by failos

Baseball has a familiar, comfortable rhythm for those of us that love the game and don't need high adrenaline to hold our attention.

Sitting and waiting for decisions for long times, breaks up the pace enough that it feels wrong. It must be that way too, for pitchers especially.  I hope they can cut the time these calls are taking.

There was a game this week in Oak where the count was in question after a LONG ab.

They had to review the whole freakin AB twice, to see if they had it right, and it turns out they had correct all along.

Edited by Homebrewer

Hate it. How many times so far have we seen a manager head on out to have a "discussion" with the umps on a close play just to give his own guys a chance to review the tape to see if he wants to challenge the call?

It seems that any time there's a bang bang play where the runner is out, the next batter is taking their time to get up to the plate and when the runner is safe, suddenly the pitcher needs to collect themselves for a few extra seconds, all in order to give their guys in the booth a few extra seconds to figure out if they want to challenge the call.

It's slowing down the game unnecessarily in order to combat a few really bad Ump calls. Umps get it right much more often than not, even on the bang bang plays.

It is terrible how the manager can come out and just buy his time while the guys in the video room look at it and relay the decision. Something needs to happen with this. Technically a manager could come out as many times as he wants and never challenge a call.

There needs to be some repercussion because it slows the game down and just looks stupid. I think if the coach comes out of the dugout he should have to challenge the call. This would still result in some delay with either the batter delaying or the pitcher delaying, but at least it will not be the stupid stalemate with the umpire and manager standing there with their dicks in their hands. 

Edited by robblin17

Replay sucks.  Managers go onto the field just to stall, it takes too long, and they still blow some calls.

I'd rather a system where they have *competent* umpires watching all the games on the vidioes that then radio in to the guys on the field on close plays, rather than having managers and bench coaches stalling until they can internally review and only "using their challenge" if it looks like a lock to be overturned. 

Edited by ScottLux

Agreed, Doc.  

Scioscia said the rule book reads: "the catch is not completed until the ball is in the bare hand" .

That isn't true. Not even close. If it did, that would be a joke. This is an instance where reasonable judgement by an umpire on the field is correct 99% of the time. Once in a great while, a fielder will get away with it, but who cares.

If they were going by Scioscia's explanation, Seattle's catcher didn't catch a third strike later in the game... although nobody in their right mind would say he didn't catch it.

You know what would make instant replay better? Each week get 5 random baseball fans from across the country (hold a raffle or something), fly them to New York (or whereever since they could watch all the games anyway), feed them, house them and then have them just sit and watch the games. If a call gets challenged, have these guys do it, not a team of head up their own asses umps. Bring some common sense into the intentional replay system.

2 weeks in and we can already see clearly the system itself is broken. But will that stop MLB from using it? Hell no, they'll just say something like "We need some time to work things out" or some other bullpucky.

This is why we need a new commissioner of baseball. Bud Selig has been bad for the game of baseball and it's going to take a generation or more to undo the damage he alone has wrought on the game.

This is also why the MLB needs to have external oversight from a Commissioner outside of the ranks of ownership and the players, one who represents the fans of the game. The fans of the game of baseball are the ones who are truly interested in "the best interest of the game", not the owners, not the players, the fans.

Intentional replay is a Rosemary's Baby of a still breathing aborted fetus in its execution. Kill it. Kill it now before it learns to walk.

Hate it. Seen it during several games in the last week or so, and think it is a complete joke.

I'm a fan of the Detroit Lions (don't judge my intelligence), and now I have to see the "Calvin Johnson Rule" in baseball, too? Hamilton caught the ball. The Rays player caught the ball. If everyone in the world who looks at it knows it was a catch, don't try to sell me that it wasn't. Replay gives managers the ability to force a different "perspective" of a rule.

Players F up. Managers F up. Umpires F up. That's baseball. Stopping a game for several minutes just so umpires can find a more creative way to F up is not needed. Lose it.