• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Did anyone else here post on the old AOL Angels message boards?

Are we talking about the old aol "newsgroups"? Because I used to post in there. Tho back then there was a lot more activity in the Disney groups as I recall.

Nah, the Grandstand was a sports based group of forums with individual team folders.  The Angels board over there was at it's peak between 95 and like 2001-2, a lot of really knowledgeable and extremely funny people on that board.  Somewhere around 2001 or so they started to over-moderate the boards and it went downhill fast.   AOL was also a source for STATS Inc proprietary information which was pretty much worth the AOL subscription alone.  They had their own message board and many of the original STATS Inc people including Bill James, and John Dewan would post there which was tremendously insightful.

BTW, I remember YOT from the Scout,com boards, I think True Grich was there as well - there are a few other names I recognize from that board that post here. 

By the time AOL opened their boards I was already posting on Usenet. This was in the days pre-www. I didn't like the AOL boards because it was like one big rant thread after another.

It wasn't until my service provider stopped carrying Usenet that I ended up here.

Edited by Rochambeau

I think I still went by Haloswin in those days...  I started using Inside Pitch right around the time I started doing the CBSSportsline/Real Fans Network Angels pages.   I still remember the days of usernet when many of the guys from USSMariner were like 13 and like everyone else in Seattle had seemingly just discovered baseball   They were some of the biggest homers back in those days.

i miss those days. we used to post on the aol board, plus the grandstand board, which was much more active. 

one of my favorite days was april 1st one year when we all took on fake mookie screen names and bombarded several message boards around the league. it was out tribute to mookie, who was one of the mods for the mariners board.

there used to be some crazy stuff on that mariners board. remember how they complained about having a right handed first baseman and that somehow meant more runners would be safe at first? there were a ton of m's homer chicks on that board. they even gave out awards one year for the best poster, etc. Too funny.

Edited by Tank

i miss those days. we used to post on the aol board, plus the grandstand board, which was much more active. 

one of my favorite days was april 1st one year when we all took on fake mookie screen names and bombarded several message boards around the league. it was out tribute to mookie, who was one of the mods for the mariners board.

there used to be some crazy stuff on that mariners board. remember how they complained about having a right handed first baseman and that somehow meant more runners would be safe at first? there were a ton of m's homer chicks on that board. they even gave out awards one year for the best poster, etc. Too funny.

"MDIC" -- we all had it on our signatures for like like two weeks -- then we sprung Mookie Day on her on Halloweeen.  We had fans from every team involved..  It was pretty comical..  

I don't believe people would believe half the shit that went on in the M's board under the direction of the "sewing circle".   The poems about the players, the contests about who could write the best song about the players, the poems about the players to the tune of pop songs...   They would argue the most inane things then get completely enraged when someone would point out the obvious..   Angels fans were the bane of their existence.

Cheap entertainment at its finest.

"MDIC" -- we all had it on our signatures for like like two weeks -- then we sprung Mookie Day on her on Halloweeen.  We had fans from every team involved..  It was pretty comical..  

I don't believe people would believe half the shit that went on in the M's board under the direction of the "sewing circle".   The poems about the players, the contests about who could write the best song about the players, the poems about the players to the tune of pop songs...   They would argue the most inane things then get completely enraged when someone would point out the obvious..   Angels fans were the bane of their existence.

Cheap entertainment at its finest.

one of my fake screen names i used only to post in poem form. i'd make them up at school or at home, sometimes just a poem, sometimes from a song all of those ladies would have known.

the awards they gave out were called "Posties", as in best posts. they really liked coach966 and thought he was the nicest one of us (which he was). 

MDIC - lol. that was so awesome.

one of my fake screen names i used only to post in poem form. i'd make them up at school or at home, sometimes just a poem, sometimes from a song all of those ladies would have known.

I'm pretty sure it was MookySpice, a play on the Spice girls and a name they thought was a dig at them - they hated us so very much.   Coach is on twitter...  I'm surprised he hasn't found his way over to these boards.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I'm pretty sure it was MookySpice, a play on the Spice girls and a name they thought was a dig at them - they hated us so very much.   Coach is on twitter...  I'm surprised he hasn't found his way over to these boards.

You have remembered well, grasshopper.

Coach is also on Facebook. Fun to keep up with him.

JonahFalcon

MikeyBronx

dear lord the yanks board was a looney bin

Once in awhile someone would post stuff from the Yankees board on the espn boards. Holy mackerel. One the best threads was about how much they hated Sosh because he always had the Yankees number. It was priceless.

Used the AOL board a little bit but mostly the Angel-run board. My first insight as to how nutbar the interweb could be was on that board with many a "eff you chili44 chilly (person misspelled it despite having written it correctly a second earlier) daves sucked and is a peace of sh!t and your a peice of sh!t!"

Later on attending the playoff get-togethers and trying not to laugh at the number of guys with "badass" something-or-other in their user names, only to see that they were five-foot nothing, 98 pound dweebs. And, of course, the incomparable Justin.