• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Northwestern players win unionization case against school

If a kid is going to lose his starting position. Do they have to give a verbal first then letter of warning then dismissal from that depth chart position?

Does the player get to have a meeting with union rep, his position coach, and hc before this move takes effect?

If a kid is going to lose his starting position. Do they have to give a verbal first then letter of warning then dismissal from that depth chart position?

Does the player get to have a meeting with union rep, his position coach, and hc before this move takes effect?

There is already unions in professional sports and those issues don't arise.

From NWU:

"While we respect the NLRB process and the regional director's opinion, we disagree with it. Northwestern believes strongly that our student-athletes are not employees, but students. Unionization and collective bargaining are not the appropriate methods to address the concerns raised by student athletes."

I'll believe that student-athletes are simply students as soon as someone can skip a football or basketball game to meet with a project group or study for a final without repercussions.

Really then what are they receiving then? What's it cost the avg student at northwestern for classes, books, room & board, tutors, etc...

They do not receive the same education of a student. Scholarship players are required to spend their time on the sport, NOT education. If a player chooses to skip practice or booster dinners so they could study, they jeopardize their scholarship. They are given classes/curriculum that are designed to let the player pass, not learn. The tutors aren't there to help them learn, they are there to help them cut corners and cheat to stay eligible. Room & Board is nothing more than for the University to keep tabs on the players (in the best interest of the athletic program, not student). It's common for a "student athlete" to receive a diploma but still couldn't pass a GED. The average student will graduate with a Mercedes Benz level education. The average "student athlete" will graduate with the level of 1986 Geo Metro with a Benz emblem duct taped to the front.

If NW loses, I can see a lot of sports getting cut.  Part of employees is financial.  And financials would be to make money, or at least break even.  It'll be great for football and basketball, since they are money makers.  But for every other sport, it won't make financial sense to have those "employees"

Agreed with gotbeer. This will likely lead to a ton of programs getting cut, meaning a ton of current scholarship students that play the less popular sports no longer have their education paid for. That's a huge amount of money. Mancini, they do still get a free college education, which is fairly valuable. It's not like the degree that they earn there comes with an asterisk or anything and for the majority, that degree will prove to be more valuable to them than the money they would receive as "employees" anyway. Regardless, this is a huge deal though that would change the structure of college sports. It will be interesting to see if this holds up on appeals.

Lastly (and slightly off topic), I wish the NBA and NFL would adopt MLB rule. Let them turn professional after high school, but if they play college, they have to do it for three+ years. That way, the high school athletes that think they are good enough can turn professional without having to attend college.

Edited by HeavenlyHalos

They do not receive the same education of a student. Scholarship players are required to spend their time on the sport, NOT education. If a player chooses to skip practice or booster dinners so they could study, they jeopardize their scholarship. They are given classes/curriculum that are designed to let the player pass, not learn. The tutors aren't there to help them learn, they are there to help them cut corners and cheat to stay eligible. Room & Board is nothing more than for the University to keep tabs on the players (in the best interest of the athletic program, not student). It's common for a "student athlete" to receive a diploma but still couldn't pass a GED. The average student will graduate with a Mercedes Benz level education. The average "student athlete" will graduate with the level of 1986 Geo Metro with a Benz emblem duct taped to the front.

Lol disagree 100%

Edit- the education isn't given to the student especially at northwestern

I honestly can't believe you believe what you wrote. Comical

Edited by nando714

Well at least you don't sound cynical.

I'll jump in here really quickly. When I was being recruited for golf the school I eventually ended up asked what major I was interested in. I told the coach meteorology. He looked straight at me and told me, "You're not majoring in meteorology; it's too difficult. I'd look in to communications or business." I'm sure I could have still majored in meteorology, but I was too nervous to do so as a freshman on the team.

My point to the story is that I agree, somewhat, with what Mancini is saying. Yes, these athletes may be getting scholarships, but I doubt all of them are choosing that they like or that will help them get a job in the future.

I certainly see the argument.  They are paid to play football for the school.  Just because it is in the form of an education doesn't mean they aren't being paid.  No different than giving out scrip and housing to coal miners in that respect.

Anyway I am not necessarily on the pay student athletes bandwagon.  These kids get an education that many kids dream of.  They have other options like Canadian and European leagues.  They choose college, if they don't take advantage of the education then that is their own fault.

This is interesting. On one hand, I hate unions. On the other, I hate the NCAA. I think they are student-athletes and not employees, but I do believe they are an extorted class. 

I originally signed with a D1 school - free tuition, room and unlimited food was more than enough compensation for me. Problem is, I was an OL signing with a MAC school, that had maybe 1 nationally televised game per season. I wasn't a high profile position player for a school on TV every week. 

I think the NCAA, conferences and schools need to quantify what each player means to the Association/Conference/School and compensate accordingly. Heisman Trophy candidate QBs in the SEC should receive more and the JC transfer OL at  Kent St. probably produces nothing in terms of revenue. 

Here is an angle as to why if student athletes get employee status, 90% of schools will cut sports, leaving only the mega schools with deep donor pockets left.

If you are a student athlete, and you suffer a career injury, that's it.  Your career is over.

If you are an employee, and you suffer a career injury.  Lawyers will have a field day and sue for lost wages, for a career.  

Sweet.  So do they have to pay taxes on their $50,000/year scholarship?

Was listening to a lawyer on tv talk about this and the answer is no. Scholarships fall under grants and aren't taxed, only anything financially given to players outside of the scholarship.

The institutions organized and created the NCAA. Why shouldn't the money generators be allowed to organize as well?

If I'm not mistaken the players are not allowed to work and they are required to sit out if they transfer. It seems tyrannical to me that they can't be represented in any way.