• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

PGA Event Advice

Adam

So, this will be my first trip to a PGA event. What should we do? We've got access to the Palisades Club overlooking the 10th green and grounds access.

I feel like picking a group and following them would be the most fun.

What say you guys who've gone before?

since you're going on sunday, get there plenty early before the leaders tee off and go check out the course. i've been there a few times and i really like watching tee shots on 6 (it's the green with a bunker in the middle - make sure you're up by the green) and the green on 10. i also like watching them bomb tee shots on 1, 2, and 18. 

once you've got the lay of the land, either follow the lead group or pick a spot on 18 and watch everyone come in. on 18, i like a spot on the fairway (you can sit down on the hill) about where tee shots are landing. it gives a good view of their approach to the green and you're close enough to watch them putt. 

have a good time. it's a great place to watch the pros.

I hope you guys don't get stuck in the traffic. It's already a nightmare.

It took Jason Gore almost three hours to drive to his home in Valencia after his round today. If I were him I would have stayed in a hotel somewhere close by.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0215-northern-trust-notes-20140215,0,2214448.story#axzz2tND8h9VD

10th green is a great spot. I stood on the side of the 11th tee which had a great view of 10, 11 and 13 which was behind me. After the final group teed off of 11, we went to the par 3 14th until the final group went through. Then went to the landing area on the side of the hill on 18. Sudden death holes are 18 again, 10 and 14. 2 years ago I was waiting with a perfect spot on 14 but Bill Haas hit a long putt to win on 10 in sudden death over Bradley and Mickelson. Fun tournament!

Edited by xboom28x

One of my favorite golf moments was that tourney, Xboom.

I watched the final round and on 18 when Mickelson makes the putt everyone goes nuts and some Asian dudes rolls down the hill behind him. After the circus, Keegan steps up and nails his putt.

Just a sick ending.

I've only been to two tourneys, and only on practice days (Both Senior Tour; one at Newport Beach CC and the Senior Open at Riviera back in '98 I believe).  But, I've gotta share my Riviera story...

I brought my one-year old daughter Hannah with me, and we spent about two hours wandering the course.  I was taking pictures of groups of players we've never heard of, when a large gallery approached the green we were standing near.  It didn't take me very long to recognize Arnold Palmer was in the group, and I sprung into action!

I got out the program I'd bought and a sharpie, and stood at the rope-opening off of the green.  As Arny approached, I had my daughter in one arm and the program/pen in the other.  I asked him to please sign my daughters' program and he said, "Well, I normally don't do autographs during a round..." took the pen and signed the front cover of our program!  I'm eventually going to have it framed, along with some of the pictures I took that day.

Now, that was amazing.  But my father likes to tell a story of how he took me to a golf tournament when I was barely old enough to walk around.  The way he tells it, Arny came over to us after finishing a hole (during a tournament round), and handed me one of his golf balls.  He said something about how he appreciated my quiet during his putting..

One of my favorite golf moments was that tourney, Xboom.

I watched the final round and on 18 when Mickelson makes the putt everyone goes nuts and some Asian dudes rolls down the hill behind him. After the circus, Keegan steps up and nails his putt.

Just a sick ending.

It had the feel of a major on that 18th green. 2 extraordinary putts by 2 extraordinary golfers.

My wife and I went on Friday, we had the same Palisades Club tix as Adam.  "Club" is just a tent w some tvs and food/drink stands to sell.

We walked around the course and had a good time.  We've been debating on going the weekend next year.  I think we'll stick w friday.  I liked walking everywhere and having golf going on.  Got to follow who we wanted, and stayed on a couple holes for a while (2, 16, and the stands on 10)

What did you like and dislike?

I miss hearing commentary on tv and updates on the leaders.

Guessing the fact that it was Sunday had something to do with it. I just don't find it that much fun to have to fight for viewing space. Also, you're pretty limited in who you can watch. Bubba was in control on the back 9 so he was the right guy. But, by 14 it was nearly impossible to get a good vantage point unless you moved ahead a couple of holes. 

I think it would be better as a spectator to go on a Th or Fr as YK mentioned. 

All in all it was fun, but I think it would be more fun with less people around. 

If you have a particular golfer you want to follow, Thurs-Fri are the best days to go. If you want to see the field, Sat-Sun are good as long as you jump ahead a few holes after the field goes through. The Sunday I went, I sat at 10, 14 and 18. It all depends on your viewing preference.

the best times to go are the practice rounds. players are really relaxed and do a lot of interacting with the fans. you can take pictures and get autographs, too. it's fun to talk to them as well. during a practice round for the '95 PGA i asked one of the players if the rough was really as difficult as the tv guys say it is. he said it was pretty nasty because the club really doesn't move through it easily or smoothly.

following players around during the tournament is best to do on thur-sat. on sunday, i like to find a comfy area to sit that has a scoreboard nearby and watch everyone come through.

the club tent tickets are nice. shorter lines and a place to watch of the tv coverage. good for a break.

We watched a few guys tee off on #2. I was interested to see what a driver looks like by one of these guys. When I get into one I can bomb it pretty good 275+. Dustin Johnson is unreal. 

Oh and another reason I wanted to follow Bubba - Brian Harmon was in his group. That dude is shorter than Nate. Jason Allred too. What a great story to see that dude cash a huge check and get into the next tournament. My goodness he played slow though. Holy Crap. The group ahead of them was a full hole clear of them midway through the back 9.