• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

International spending

UCLAngel

It is odd, especially with how bad our farm is.  You would think they would have spent every last dime of it in an effort to get some talent.  It isn't as though these guys are total unknowns.  The major publications do extensive reporting and evaluations on them. 

I'm not saying they aren't moving in the right direction. I'm saying they could move in the right direction faster if they spent their entire allotment. It's just frustrating to see them leave money on the table (or literally off the table) when it could be spent on someone, anyone. I think they've kept about 500k, if I remember their pool correctly. That's a significant chunk that could sign a few very solid international prospects or one very good prospect.

I think we need to keep in mind that apparently, the Halos and Arte took the high road in the international market and were unwilling to do shady deals and potentially facilitate the exploitation of many of these players.  It has hurt the team in terms of talent, but if this is true, I am glad they chose this route.  

embarrasing.

Yes it would be if they had left a lot of money on the table, but did you actually read the links the initial article directed to?

First link states the Angels spent 1.83 Mil -- but it also mentions that the amount they could spend was tiered -- the Angels were only allowed to spend $1,993,700 (link:http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/international-bonus-pools-for-2013-14/ ).   On that link there is another link to the penalties for topping the limit (link: http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/penalties-for-exceeding-pools-depend-on-international-draft/ ), 

Penalties With No International Draft

• 0-5 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage.

• 5-10 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $500,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.

• 10-15 percent over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $500,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.

• 15 percent or more over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $250,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.

Don't look now but there are some teams facing some serious penalties come this July... The Angels may have less competition for some of the higher end players than they did last year.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Yes it would be if they had left a lot of money on the table, but did you actually read the links the initial article directed to?

First link states the Angels spent 1.83 Mil -- but it also mentions that the amount they could spend was tiered -- the Angels were only allowed to spend $1,993,700 (link:http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/international-bonus-pools-for-2013-14/ ).   On that link there is another link to the penalties for topping the limit (link: http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/penalties-for-exceeding-pools-depend-on-international-draft/ ), 

Penalties With No International Draft

• 0-5 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage.

• 5-10 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $500,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.

• 10-15 percent over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $500,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.

• 15 percent or more over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $250,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.

Don't look now but there are some teams facing some serious penalties come this July...   The Angels may have less competition for some of the higher end players than they did last year.

I understand this.

Why are we recklessly sending hundreds of thousands of dollars for nobodies? It's compounding our problems.  But no fear, we have Andres f'n Perez.

http://aldengonzalez.mlblogs.com/2013/07/25/game-100-angels-athletics/

https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/411141252462428160

I understand this.

Why are we recklessly sending hundreds of thousands of dollars for nobodies? It's compounding our problems.  But no fear, we have Andres f'n Perez.

http://aldengonzalez.mlblogs.com/2013/07/25/game-100-angels-athletics/

https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/411141252462428160

They also spent slot money to acquire Brian Moran.  I would assume they saw the possibility to add guys while using whatever currency was available to them.  If everyone they felt was worth spending money on was gone, they lost nothing.  They got two guys for free basically.

There is no denying the Angels screwed themselves after the Daniels situation and only really started to show signs of life last year.   I'd be surprised if they didn't make better use of their currencies this signing season.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I was going to write an article related to this subject but I'll just put my thoughts here.

The recent glut of Minor League signings of players like Carlos Pena, Yorvit, et. al. not only provide depth at the Major League level but it also presents the Angels with an opportunity to possibly sell one or more of these players off in trade for International Bonus Pool money before the trade deadline.

The 2014 International Draft class is projecting to be pretty strong and I really feel that Dipoto has positioned the team to take slight advantage of that fact. All these Minor League depth moves could prove to have some trade value for Pool Money. For instance if another team loses their primary 1B, the Angels could trade Pena for the International Pool Money if they feel a player like Cron is ready to support the MLB club.

Most teams look at the Pool money as a currency and if they don't have to give up a prospect to fill a hole, this may be an area that Dipoto can exploit as we move deeper into the season.

A player like McDonald for instance strikes me as someone the Angels brought in for depth and to mentor someone like Romine. He could easily be moved for Pool money to a team that needed a stopgap SS to fill an injury hole.

i don't pretend to understand this, but it makes me a little nervous seeing the ranger and cub front offices listed 1 and 2. those guys know what they are doing.

If I'm reading things correctly, Texas will be hit with a pretty severe penalty next year.

As I see it, the problem is not how much they spent but their lack of scouting. You can't spend money on prospects if you don't have the scouting to find good prospects. I don't know what happened, but it seems that there was a shift in organizational philosophy. Hopefully that is changing again.

As I see it, the problem is not how much they spent but their lack of scouting. You can't spend money on prospects if you don't have the scouting to find good prospects. I don't know what happened, but it seems that there was a shift in organizational philosophy. Hopefully that is changing again.

The problem wasn't a lack of scouting but rather the total lack of relationships with the handlers in the DR.  After the Clay Daniels mess with the bonus skimming the Angels were in a very ugly position.  They had no choice really but to completely pull out, clean themselves off and try to reorganize.  In the meantime the handlers they worked with and built relationships with over the years had moved on to other organizations and the Angels basically became an afterthought.  A lot of the best players in the DR are taken in by handlers at young ages and basically trained full time from at the handlers expense until age 16.  At that point they can officially sign with any MLB team and the handler typically gets as much as 30-35% of the signing bonus.   While nobody openly admits it, it's always been known that some handlers were on the take by certain MLB teams to try to point players towards their organizations.  

I've been openly critical of the way the team completely pulled out of the international scene believing they could have continued to try to get guys from Venezuela and the sort, but I do understand why they worked to get themselves cleared completely by MLB before returning to the DR.  Having to lure scouts to the franchise and recreate connections all over Latin America took some time.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I wouldn't count in the Angels trading any of the minor league deal types.

First of all, if anyone wanted them they wouldn't have signed minor league deals. Second, part of the agreement teams make when signing these guys is that if they are in the minors and someone else wants them, they release them.