• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

International spending

UCLAngel

Nothing was explicitly stated, but it was suggested.

The Cuban laws regarding defection have changed, but before that, I'm pretty sure all the shady stuff occurred between agents and their players.

WTF are you talking about regarding "Cuban defection laws", because nothing has changed other than they are allowing former defectors to return to Cuba without the threat of being jailed..  

They also spent slot money to acquire Brian Moran.  I would assume they saw the possibility to add guys while using whatever currency was available to them.  If everyone they felt was worth spending money on was gone, they lost nothing.  They got two guys for free basically.

There is no denying the Angels screwed themselves after the Daniels situation and only really started to show signs of life last year.   I'd be surprised if they didn't make better use of their currencies this signing season.

The problem is that the Moran deal cost the Angels $600,000 of spendable money against the 2014 allocation.  It appears that the Angels now have the lowest allocation of all 30 teams, so I would not hold my breath on the Angels being big players in the international market this year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/international-bonus-slot-budgets-for-all-30-teams/

The problem is that the Moran deal cost the Angels $600,000 of spendable money against the 2014 allocation.  It appears that the Angels now have the lowest allocation of all 30 teams, so I would not hold my breath on the Angels being big players in the international market this year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/international-bonus-slot-budgets-for-all-30-teams/

Dude.... that's the money allocations for the signing season that will end July 1st....    They could spend 1.3 mil -- they traded away 604K to the Mets and Jays in those deals.. 

Edited by Inside Pitch

Maybe it isn't a law, but Cuban players are now allowed to sign with MLB teams without defecting.

You realize that the US embargo makes it so they have to renounce their Cuban citizenship right?  Thats US law.   They also cannot stay in the US unless they defect.  You're referring to Cuba now allowing its athletes to play internationally which is fine -- unfortunately that only helps them if they want to play in Japan or Korea.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I wouldn't count in the Angels trading any of the minor league deal types.

First of all, if anyone wanted them they wouldn't have signed minor league deals. Second, part of the agreement teams make when signing these guys is that if they are in the minors and someone else wants them, they release them.

Jeff if you go back I wasn't saying that they would trade them early in the season. I'm talking about later in the year leading up to the trade deadline and only if we have sufficient depth to actually move them. For example I mentioned Pena if Cron has improved sufficiently to provide the depth the team needs, thus making Pena expendable for Pool money.

I was speaking more to the fact that not only do these signings provide depth they could potentially return us Pool money. Not saying it will happen just pointing out that they may have value later in the season if they aren't seen as significant depth pieces. Every team experiences injuries throughout the year and some teams don't want to pay a lot to find a replacement.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10399448/new-york-yankees-go-big-international-market-sources-say

Yankees -- talking about going as much as 16 Mil over their spending limits this year.  Meaning, they would end up paying 30 Mil after penalties and signing bonuses...

On the plus side, Texas and the Cubbies are both unable to sign anyone for more than 250K.

I've already heard rumors that they have deals with 3 of the top Dominican players.

I just hope the Angels can nab Vladdy Jr. who practically grew up in the Angels clubhouse.

That would be awesome.  People say hes morphed from a fat little kid into a mirror image of his Dad.... I think the Ms signed one of his nephews a year or two ago for like 400K.

FTR, while I'm sure there is all sorts of shady going on, I think it's illegal for a team to talk $$$ until July 1st, the day before signing day.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I've already heard rumors that they have deals with 3 of the top Dominican players.

I just hope the Angels can nab Vladdy Jr. who practically grew up in the Angels clubhouse.

aren't there like 14 Vladdy jrs?  Vlad is like a perfect hybrid of George Foreman and Steve Garvey.  I'm pretty sure he's Domormanican.