• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 ZIPS Projections...

Richards stuff has always been great, but his results have never been there. The Angel are giving him a shot this year but if he doesn't take advantage of it I think it's possible he doesn't get another.

richards had a pretty good breakout year last season.

I don't know...I like how it has six catchers getting at least 260 pa's.

Could be worse right, Oliver has a 600 PA projection for Hester.  

From the article:  Disclaimer: ZiPS projections are computer-based projections of performance. Performances have not been allocated to predicted playing time in the majors — many of the players listed above are unlikely to play in the majors at all in 2014. 

ZiPS simply compares the numbers to historical matches and takes the median playing time .   Its not entirely useless, it's interesting to see a projection that argues a guy like Jett Bandy is likely a better option than Hester.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Richards stuff has always been great, but his results have never been there. The Angel are giving him a shot this year but if he doesn't take advantage of it I think it's possible he doesn't get another.

Richards quietly had a solid season as a SP last year.

17 Starts, 103 IP, 1.31 WHIP, 0.7 HR/9, 6.19 K/9 -- 4.18 ERA.  

Angels fans may look at that and think OMG he's nothing special but he was all of 0.01 off being a perfectly league average SP.   Considering the typical number 3 is usually in the 4.15 range, a 4 in a 4.50 range and a 5 is over 5.00..  Richards isn't so bad.

He's a candidate to improve.

Edited by Inside Pitch

If Freese does finish with an under .700 OPS, then JD got absolutely FLEECED in that deal!

Zips is convinced that Hamilton is Hackilton for good, projecting yet another mediocre season with an OPS in the mid .700s.

What are YOU going to do about it, Hamilton?

That is a good question regarding Richards. Why doesn't he K more batters? Not enough late oomph on his heat?

Edited by Angel Oracle

Richards has great stuff but his command gets all out of whack sometimes. The control was actually fine last year as illustrated by his BB/9 rate but he still struggled with command sometimes.

I think Richards can provide 175ish innings of low 4's ERA.

if richards gives you 175 innings of low 4's ERA, then he will have given you everything one could reasonably expect from his slot in the rotation.

I think the Zips and other projection systems are a good tool for helping fans hit the mental reset button. 

A computer without fan bias or some sort of an agenda shows on paper that this team is talented enough to win 90 games. 

Of course, shit happens. 

Could they cover their bases a bit more than they have?  Sure, but there is still some opportunity for that.

A reasonable mixture of good and bad, and this team is in the hunt.  With our payroll, you'd like to give yourself better odds, but it is what it is and it's not too bad. 

Honestly, anything from 80-95 wins wouldn't surprise me.