• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kelly Thomas Trial verdict...

henry

I've heard for years about how "most are good" and "A few bad apples...."

Yet I NEVER hear any cop condemn the actions of these cops. Their silence speaks volumes.

the blue shield. A policy that breeds and, worse, tolerates and invites corruption by the same officials who are supposed to uphold the law

That's nice, they are still grossly underpaid.

They are paid like shit, have an awful job, and everyone hates them but they should be sunshine pumpers... got it.

I'm sorry...show me the part where their income was a mystery and daily job activities where unbeknownst to them BEFORE they decided to join law enforcement.

You pick a shitty job like being a cop, that's your problem. Don't take it out on innocent people who are paying your salary.

Cops actually make a very good wage, lets not act like they're living on a janitors salary, here.

after all, they can't live in the same neighborhoods as the people they harass

The wages are only part of the equation.  It's the exorbitant pension. 

Public safety employees (police and fire) can retire at age 50 in California with 3% of their final average salary multiplied by their years of service.  Consider someone who wants to retire at age 50 with 28 years of service and a base salary of $90,000.

3% of $90,000 = $2700

$2700 * 28 years of service = $75,600 in guaranteed money annually.

SInce CALPERS adjusts for inflation, that $75,600 pension will be worth $3.06 million assuming 2% inflation if he/she lives until age 80.  They also get health insurance paid for by the city or county, just like before.  Assume $15,000 per year and 2% healthcare inflation and that comes to $608,521 over thirty years. 

How many of us can hang it up at 50 with a guaranteed $3.67 million at our disposal?  People need to wake up.  This is bullshit.

Edited by mp170.6

The wages are only part of the equation.  It's the exorbitant pension. 

Public safety employees (police and fire) can retire at age 50 in California with 3% of their final average salary multiplied by their years of service.  Consider someone who wants to retire at age 50 with 28 years of service and a base salary of $90,000.

3% of $90,000 = $2700

$2700 * 28 years of service = $75,600 in guaranteed money annually.

SInce CALPERS adjusts for inflation, that $75,600 pension will be worth $3.06 million assuming 2% inflation if he/she lives until age 80.  They also get health insurance paid for by the city or county, just like before.  Assume $15,000 per year and 2% healthcare inflation and that comes to $608,521 over thirty years. 

How many of us can hang it up at 50 with a guaranteed $3.67 million at our disposal?  People need to wake up.  This is bullshit.

You don't put your life on the line everyday for the well-being of the public.

Look, I get that some cops are bad people.  I actually think the decision in this case was totally wrong.

But don't dilute the danger and importance of the profession.  Most cops are good, honest, well-intended people.

You don't put your life on the line everyday for the well-being of the public.

Look, I get that some cops are bad people.  I actually think the decision in this case was totally wrong.

But don't dilute the danger and importance of the profession.  Most cops are good, honest, well-intended people.

Your dad is a deputy sheriff, correct? 

Police and fire are not even in the Top 10 for most dangerous jobs.

Farmers, loggers, fishermen.   All more dangerous (statistically) than cops.   And they make peanuts compared to the boys in blue.   For back breaking work

TIME Magazine published a wonderful graphic last week showing the most dangerous jobs next to their average salaries.  Well worth a look (you have to scroll down):

http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/01/15/these-are-the-top-10-most-dangerous-jobs-in-the-u-s/

So, how many of you concerned citizens were at the rally in front of the Fullerton PD?

I was. For the most part it was a fairly peaceful demonstration. We, and most of the folks I knew, left by about 1 or so. There were a number of people who weren't local who came to start trouble and it appears some of them got their wish.