• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A-Rod suspended for 2014 Season.

Glen

Interesting. I could see the Yankees DFAjng him as soon as after the 2015 season to ensure they don't pay those bonuses -- even if he is still a semi-productive player.

That would be dangerous. A team could get ARod at league minimum and if he hits milestone HRs, the Yanks will still be on the hook for the bonuses.

No positive test, first offense. Where is the union on this. If he wasn't so unPopular this never happens.

Yeah, curious silence from the PA. Maybe the evidence against arod is so obvious that they've decided to walk away from this one.

First of all I don't think we are disagreeing that much. I was trying to barbeque at the same time I was writing that (thus resulting in burnt chicken btw.... the sacrifices I make for this board!).

The thing I do disagree with is the length of the punishment. First MLB tries to apply 212 games and then it gets moved to 162 games. I may be mistaken but no where in the CBA does it use those numbers. My limited understanding is that the numbers of 50, 100, and 150 games are used and nothing else.

The application of additional penalties is what bothers me the most. The fact that MLB and the Yankees pushed for 1+ years of suspension implies a collusive mindset to me. The rules should be the rules period. No artificial flavors added.

You have to remember though.  Arod, along with all of the players in biogenesis, weren't suspended for the drug policy.  But for the detriment of the game clause.  Everyone pleaded down to the 50 game first offense for the drug policy.   But Braun was suspended for I think 66 games.  And as a technical first offender, he should have been suspended like Cruz for 50 games.  But it's because of his denial from the first test that he blamed on a faulty test that he got off.  

As someone pointed out, or I read somewhere.  

The Black Sox got acquitted in an actual court for any wrongdoing.  Still didn't prevent the commissioner from banning them for life.  

Anthony Bosch interview will be on 60 minutes tomorrow night. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to tune into this.

There are some good conversations going on here. I'm not on the side that thinks this was some conspiracy theory where the Yankees are getting off the hook so they can go sign more players.

This is about the league trying to clean up a very bad situation and not have it escalate any farther. Not suspending A-Rod would be a flat out terrible message to send to the players and the fans.

It totally sucks that they don't have to pay A-Rod all that money next year but I can't disagree one bit with what the league did.

Yeah, curious silence from the PA. Maybe the evidence against arod is so obvious that they've decided to walk away from this one.

Actually the PA had reps on Arods side.  Arod decided to go against PA representation and hired his own.  

And I think as the PA stated earlier, that if there was evidence of use.  While the PA would still represent them, they would also not condone the use.  

I think there might be enough backlash among the players that they don't want cheaters just as much as MLB.

"It totally sucks that they don't have to pay A-Rod all that money next year but I can't disagree one bit with what the league did."

Did I miss something, because I have yet to read or hear anything that leads me to think the Yankees won't have to pay A-rod.

According to the CBA.

5. For violation by the Player of any regulation or other provision of

this contract, the Club may impose a reasonable fine and deduct the
amount thereof from the Player’s salary or may suspend the Player
without salary for a reasonable period or both. Written notice of the
fine or suspension or both and the reason thereof shall in every case be
given to the Player and the Players Association. (See Article XII of the
Basic Agreement.) 

"It totally sucks that they don't have to pay A-Rod all that money next year but I can't disagree one bit with what the league

Did I miss something, because I have yet to read or hear anything that leads me to think the Yankees won't have to pay A-rod.

Yeah based on the reports, I believe they don't have to pay a majority of the money. I think I read they have to pay 5 million or is that wrong? Anybody know?

correct

people keep citing the jda, but don't understand it goes beyond that with infractions to the cba.  his situation is unique, and it will be interesting to see if he's willing to really go through with filing the federal case and undergoing deposition.  deposition is the killer for afraud.  what he says in a deposition will never be sealed.  if he's truly clean, then no worries....um, yeah.  

Also, the problem with going to court.  You can't lie.  Barry never tested posititve or anything.  But he lied to investigators, and that is how they will get him.  

Yeah based on the reports, I believe they don't have to pay a majority of the money. I think I read they have to pay 5 million or is that wrong? Anybody know?

I haven't heard anything about them paying any money and I don't know why people think they would have to play any money. With PED and almost all other suspensions, the player is suspended without pay. It's not much of a punishment if the player is still getting paid. When Braun got suspended for the last 65 games of last season and the other MLB players were suspended for 50 games last season, they were suspended without pay. 

Edited by AngelsAndRamsFan

I haven't heard anything about them paying any money and I don't know why people think they would have to play any money. With PED and almost all other suspensions, the player is suspended without pay. It's not much of a punishment if the player is still getting paid. When Braun got suspended for the last 65 games of last season and the other MLB players were suspended for 50 games last season, they were suspended without pay. 

All suspensions for PED's are without pay. But ARod's case isn't completely based on the same guidelines...it seems worse. I would be surprised if he gets paid. But he hit HR # 654 last season which is a $3m bonus that is paid this year. That is his money regardless.

You have to remember though.  Arod, along with all of the players in biogenesis, weren't suspended for the drug policy.  But for the detriment of the game clause.  Everyone pleaded down to the 50 game first offense for the drug policy.   But Braun was suspended for I think 66 games.  And as a technical first offender, he should have been suspended like Cruz for 50 games.  But it's because of his denial from the first test that he blamed on a faulty test that he got off.  

As someone pointed out, or I read somewhere.  

The Black Sox got acquitted in an actual court for any wrongdoing.  Still didn't prevent the commissioner from banning them for life.  

You may be absolutely right beer but it is my understanding that no one knows (yet) what clauses or provisions of the CBA were used to determine this punishment. It has not been officially announced only speculated on.

I don't like ARod and the game needs to police itself better but all I care about is that ARod is punished under the provisions of the CBA and MLB rules and regulations in a fair and consistent manner. Beyond that I could care less what happens to ARod, he certainly has proven how much of a douche he is.

Does anybody remember what Selig's initial suspension "offer" was to Arod? It was not 50 games, wasn't it 150 games? This is before the whole obstruction of justice stuff came out.

Also, my memory of that time period left the impression that ARod not cooperating with the investigation meant specifically that he wasn't accepting his suspension, and was in fact going to appeal it no matter what. It's only more recently that I've heard that his not cooperating meant that he was doing all this extra shady shit to cover things up. Keep in mind also that it was MLB that was buying stolen documents for the purpose of nailing Arod on the PED charges.

A-Rod's suspension for the entire season means the Yankees will save about $24.3MM against the 2014 luxury tax threshold. Rodriguez's luxury-tax figure is $27.5MM, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post notes (via Twitter) that the Yankees will be assessed about $3.16MM of that, since 183 days, and not 162, counts as a year. In any case, the suspension could help the Yankees get below the $189MM threshold, if they choose. The Yankees will also save $25MM in salary.

From the link in the very first post of the thread. Not sure how you guys missed this.