• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bryce Harper is trying to fatten up

NrM

"The younger player, a lot of those guys are still so much younger and underdeveloped that they put on a lot of weight during the offseason, in a good way," Beiting said. "There are definitely guys that lose weight [during the season], particularly in September, you start to kind of back off the workouts a little bit and just eight months of playing baseball starts to catch up." 

It makes sense for young guys to gain some weight, but for the older guys like Hamilton, it's smart to lose a little weight when you get older. 

I could be wrong, but I overall thought his D was fine, he just made a few errors. I will take a guy that makes the occasional error over the guy that makes few "errors" but constantly takes bad routes to the ball, or constantly overthrows the cut off. I know I look at the positive side of things, but am I wrong here?

"The younger player, a lot of those guys are still so much younger and underdeveloped that they put on a lot of weight during the offseason, in a good way," Beiting said. "There are definitely guys that lose weight [during the season], particularly in September, you start to kind of back off the workouts a little bit and just eight months of playing baseball starts to catch up.

It makes sense for young guys to gain some weight, but for the older guys like Hamilton, it's smart to lose a little weight when you get older.

I just don't understand his line of thinking. He was a consistently solid player for his entire career, so he thought completely changing his off season routine made sense? Edited by Poozy

I could be wrong, but I overall thought his D was fine, he just made a few errors. I will take a guy that makes the occasional error over the guy that makes few "errors" but constantly takes bad routes to the ball, or constantly overthrows the cut off. I know I look at the positive side of things, but am I wrong here?

Hamilton's defense was actually quite poor last year. He was one of the worst defensive right fielders in baseball.

I do think keeping him in left will help a bit though. He definitely isn't as bad a defender as he showed last year.

I just don't understand his line of thinking. He was a consistently solid player for his entire career, so he thought completely changing his off season routine made sense?

He was coming off a poor second half of the 2012 season. Before last season, he only averaged 122 games a season over the past four seasons. He lost the weight to help him stay healthy all season. His 20+ lbs weight loss had very little to do with his poor season. 

He was coming off a poor second half of the 2012 season. Before last season, he only averaged 122 games a season over the past four seasons. He lost the weight to help him stay healthy all season. His 20+ lbs weight loss had very little to do with his poor season.

how do you know it had very little to do with his poor season? No one truly knows why Hamilton was so horrible last year.

Edited by Poozy

unless it was because he stopped taking roids.

I had no issue with Hamilton dropping the weight. It was about living a healthier lifestyle. I can attest, the gluten free and paleo lifestyle offers many benefits, among them is increased energy, less cravings for unhealthy food and finding a natural weight that works for the individual.

Josh looked great, considerably more mobile than in years past but clearly his offensive game suffered. Whether the 20 pound weight loss was to gain, no one really knows. But at this point with Josh, I'm so desperate to see him return to greatness that I'd let him do whatever he wanted short of drugs, alcohol and performance enhancers. Let him stuff his face with 32 Costco hotdogs a day if it means he hits .300 with 40 HR's again.

How does a discussion about Bryce Harper pigging out devolve into a discussion about Torii Hunter?

Focus people, Harper is trying to emulate his hero, Mike Trout.

Harper is on Hunter's devouring former teams diet. 

But at this point with Josh, I'm so desperate to see him return to greatness that I'd let him do whatever he wanted short of drugs, alcohol and performance enhancers. Let him stuff his face with 32 Costco hotdogs a day if it means he hits .300 with 40 HR's again.

Drugs, Alcohol and performance enhancers were the three things he was doing when excelling at Texas.