• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How about Santiago as a closer?

Hamilton Noji

IMO, the Angels would be making a mistake by keeping Santiago in the pen. He did better as a starter last year and seems destined to be a full time starter. I don't know, I suppose it is a good problem to have. I just think Santiago/Richards makes a better 4/5 than Richards/Skaggs.

Frieri's good outings far outweigh his bad outings. I think he should be the CL to start the year and adjust it from there. Santiago's stuff and numbers look too good to just stick him in the pen. Unless Skaggs blows it away in ST, start him in AAA and roll with Weaver, Wilson, ---, Santiago, Richards.

Is it just me or do Angels fans seem way more down on Ernesto Frieri than they should be?

Guy has converted about 89 percent of his saves over two years and aside from 3 horrible games in a two week span has been pretty much nails. And for no money.

What do you want?

Jeff, are you seriously citing save conversion as a legitimate stat? This is how Reagins justified the Rodney signing.

Jeff, are you seriously citing save conversion as a legitimate stat? This is how Reagins justified the Rodney signing.

I know you are going to flip out and go on some rant about RBI and pitcher wins, but save conversion rate means something for closers.  It doesn't mean everything, but it does have some relevance.  Not every great pen guy can be a great closer. 

Closers work without a net.  There isn't another guy that is potentially better than him getting ready in case he fails.  Typically, the vast majority of the runs they give up are from very few appearances.  Their job is somewhat binary if you will.  They either get it done, or they done.  Granted, I think the 'save' is fairly arbitrary but you need a measure of whether the last reliever in a close game got the final out and their team won.  You need to be able to track how often that happens.  It doesn't tell us the whole story about how good a particular pitcher may be, but it can give insight into how that player responds in those situations. 

Sorry if already posted I am new. Santana was offered arbitration so he and jimenez are not worth losing another pick. ps all I hear is angels blew it by signing pujolus and st luis used that pick on waca. shoot texas would have had that pick next for cj. ! more thing HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO ALLOW THE FARM SYSTEM TO BE SO BAD. SHIT does ARTE think he's running NBC. UNACCETABLE. THEY DRAFT AS BAD AS I SPELL

Saves are irrelevant. Save conversion is the defining stat for s closer

After all his job to shut down the opposing team. And his succeds rate ate doing that is what matters.

Not all save opportunities are created equal. It's much easier to get a save with a 3-run lead than a 1-run lead, for example. If a reliever comes in and gives up 2 runs but still gets the save...does that mean he did a great job in your view? Also, you can get a blown save without giving up an earned run. If your defense screws up, it falls on you. You can also get a blown save by simply allowing an inherited runner to score. Saves, save %...those are terrible stats to look at.

Edited by Angels