• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If the Angels sign Garza or Tanaka

UCLAngel

@JeffFletcherOCR: My impression is yes. Won’t be over by much. RT @stvn372: @JeffFletcherOCR Is Tanaka someone the Angels would go over the luxury tax for?

They won't go over the luxury tax for Garza, but Tanaka? I think so. Signing Tanaka not only gets you a top of the rotation arm, but also branding and marketing opportunities which are really appealing to Moreno

Edited by SoWhat

Green/Romine until Lindsay is ready. It could be that the Angels wait until mid-season. It could be that Howie stays and another piece moves. But I do think a move someone to save some money. I get the feeling that Arte is loathe to cross the threshold. I don't think he wants to be viewed as a "Yankee-like" organization.

Tanaka makes more sense than Garza for the following reasons:

1) Garza has not pitched a full season since 2011. I don't want to call him oft-injured, but he certainly isn't a workhorse, durable type guy. Tanaka though also has battled minor injuries over his career.

2) Garza is coming off a disappointing finish to his season in Texas. Tanaka went 24-0 and won the Japanese Series.

3) Garza is 5 years older than Tanaka.

4) Garza has always been known for his competitive fiery attitude, but his stuff isn't the best. Tanaka has filthy stuff, and while not as good as Darvish or Matsuzaka on a pure stuff POV. He has excellent control (likened to Greg Maddux) and a number of out pitches which should translate well to MLB. 

5) Garza's contract demands will be greater than Scott Feldman, Dan Haren, or other similar pitchers.

6) Marketing opportunities in Japan basically will pay for a large chunk of Tanaka's salary. It would I think at least cover the difference between he and Garza's contracts if not entirely paying for Tanaka's salary.

7) Garza is at his best a 3 WAR pitcher. Tanaka at his worst should be a 3 WAR pitcher. Tanaka at his best can be the Ace of the Staff.

I'm not saying that Garza is a bad pitcher. I'm simply stating that Garza is going to add little benefit over what they can sign elsewhere. They can get a 1.5 WAR season out of Santiago, Jerome Williams (can still be signed), or say, Jason Hammel if healthy. Garza is going to get you  1.5 WAR for sure, with the possibility of 1.5 more. Is that possibility really worth 15M per season? 

Tanaka can get you a 7 WAR season. Maybe not in 2014, but in the contract for sure. Garza won't come close to that number. 

Weaver, Tanaka, Wilson, Richards, Skaggs is an absolutely filthy staff. And it's going to be the staff for at least three more seasons, maybe four. That's consistency. From Mid-2010 until 2012, Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana was the core of the staff. They did pretty well with that staff. 

I fully expect them to make one of the following moves:

Trade Howie for prospects

Give away Blanton + $4-5 million.

I'm not convinced that Arte will allow the team to go into the tax. I think they'll look to make a move at some point (could be during the season) to get them under the threshold.

Arte is said to be willing to do so if it makes sense.

Also, the CBT is calculated for all teams at the start of the season. To my knowledge, trading during the season doesn't get a team under.

Arte is said to be willing to do so if it makes sense.

Also, the CBT is calculated for all teams at the start of the season. To my knowledge, trading during the season doesn't get a team under.

Take what people say publicly with a grain of salt. How much leverage would he have in a move if the whole world knew he was strongly motivated to get under the cap? There's always an ulterior motive.

Green/Romine until Lindsay is ready. It could be that the Angels wait until mid-season. It could be that Howie stays and another piece moves. But I do think a move someone to save some money. I get the feeling that Arte is loathe to cross the threshold. I don't think he wants to be viewed as a "Yankee-like" organization.

Even if it's only by a few million each season?   The tax by year 4 on that is still only 50% of a few million. 

That is anything but what happened to the Skanks just now.

I could definitely see a Blanton trade, even if we ate all but $1 or $2 mil.  It just seems like there would be no roster space for him, but then on the other hand, he would probably be our 7th best starting pitching option (meaning, he would almost certainly get some starts). 

And I am convinced Tanaka is going to cost way more than any of you think.  I am guessing an AAV of $18-22, for 6-7 years.  I'd be shocked if his contract was anything less than 6/108 (plus the $20 posting), and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go all the way to 7/150. 

Even if it's only by a few million each season?   The tax by year 4 on that is still only 50% of a few million. 

That is anything but what happened to the Skanks just now.

I don't think it's about money at all. I could be completely wrong, but I get the feeling that Arte, as a proud businessman, likes the thought of an efficiently running enterprise. In a lot of ways the Yankees have been the antithesis of that over the years, using their resources to overpay for wins. Granted, the Angels have done the same, but I don't think that changes Arte's perception of himself and his team.

Just my opinion.

And I am convinced Tanaka is going to cost way more than any of you think.  I am guessing an AAV of $18-22, for 6-7 years.  I'd be shocked if his contract was anything less than 6/108 (plus the $20 posting), and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go all the way to 7/150. 

'

agree with this. he's clearly the best pitcher available this winter.  Yankees are in desperate need of pitching, as are other big market teams.  All adds up to a hefty price tag.

If the Angels go over the cap to sign Tanaka, or Garza, they should consider a Trout extension for just two seasons as the hit is still relatively low your first year over the CBT threshold. The Angels did exceed it once before but only by a few hundred thousand dollars. It's consecutive years over that really hurt you.

If they went over by say 5m, it's a 17% tax I think. And that's like 850k, but by extending Trout over his first arbitration year, you effectively break his salary AAV of the low cost club control year, at 550k or whatever and the first Arbitration year, which the record was over 12M i think, into two equal cap hits. And you're not paying him more.

You take the cap hit now when you know you're over anyway, and then go drastically under the next year. Which saves them money.