• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Phil Hughes anyone?

Agalloch

Why does everyone believe Hughes would be a candidate for the 3rd spot in the rotation?

I'm talking 5th spot opportunity

1. Weaver

2. Wilson

3. Richards - he will continue to improve.

4. Vargas -resigned

5. Hughes 

5b. Paul Maholm

5c. Jorge De La Rosa

5d. Jason Hammel 

5e. Gavin Floyd

or

1. Weaver

2. Wilson

3. Tim Lincecum

3b. Ricky Nolasco

3c. Josh Johnson

3d. Ubaldo Jimenez *option

3e.  Tim Hudson

4. Vargas - resigned

5. Richards

Forget De la Rosa. The Rockies picked up his option, as they should.

Edited by Mark68

I just don't see Hughes as a fit here.  He's not good enough to fit in where we don't have someone and he's unlikely to accept any sort of contract that will require him to compete for a spot in the rotation like with Richards for the 5th spot.   He'll get a multi-year deal from someone because of his age.  Something like 4/32.  Maybe 3/24 with an option. 

This years class of FA pitcher is about as thin as it gets.  Someone will take a chance and pay him way more than they should.  The market said Blanton was worth 2/15 at age 32.  Even if he gave us a 5 era over 180ip, is that enough to get the team into a winning position? 

Perhaps being out of NY helps him tremendously, but that's a pretty big chance to take at this point.  Arte is either going to go above lux tax so the team can get better, or he's not.  I think we'll know very early about that. 

AO, I know I give you a hard time, but I have to ask you this. When was the last time they traded a good left handed pitching prospect? I think once you say the year you might realize it's not as bad as you think it is.

Also remember that Haren was good for us for a couple of years and he wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs.

IMO, Phil Hughes is a #4/#5 type of pitcher.  My fear is if the Angels don't get Tanaka and decide not to spend the money on Garza, they will end up with this rotation:

Weaver

Wilson

Vargas

Hughes

Richards

While that is an improvement from the Angels rotation in 2013, that is not a playoff level rotation.

Oh, if the Angels do get Tanaka or Garza, I can see the Angels signing Hughes instead of Vargas because he will most likely be cheaper and he is younger.

Weaver

Wilson

Tanaka

Hughes

Richards

or

Weaver

Wilson

Garza

Hughes

Richards

Those could end up being possibilities as well.

AO, I know I give you a hard time, but I have to ask you this. When was the last time they traded a good left handed pitching prospect? I think once you say the year you might realize it's not as bad as you think it is.

Also remember that Haren was good for us for a couple of years and he wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs.

But, only one and a third seasons of good production from Haren is not what one expects when trading TWO good lefty prospects away.    Will Smith (Callaspo trade) has become a really solid reliever for the Royals.    Torres (Kazmir trade, enough said) was one of the best lefty relievers in MLB in 2013.

All of those were recent enough (late 2009 through late July 2010) to be a constant reminder of what can happen. 

It was part of a bigger picture, to be truthful.    This org has hopefully learned enough lessons these past few years (meddling owner, bad trades, giving away all lefty pitching prospects, no foreign presence, giving away 1st round draft picks, and signing aging sluggers to monstrosity contracts) to teach them through the next DECADE. 

This org was truly a TOTAL and UNMITIGATED clusterf&&& by this season.  

Mets West or Cubs West, take your pick.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Ok AO, so the team HAS stopped trading away left handed pitching prospects. If the last one was three years ago. We got value in the Callaspo trade, and Will Smith is not a game changer. Haren was a legit #2 when we acquired him and those aren't cheap. The trade for Kazmir seems like a lifetime ago. Will you be pissed if they trade Michael Roth? I sure won't, not if he brings back someone that helps us now. Because what I know about Roth is he's incapable of being a difference maker today.

But, only one and a third seasons of good production from Haren is not what one expects when trading TWO good lefty prospects away.    Will Smith (Callaspo trade) has become a really solid reliever for the Royals.    Torres (Kazmir trade, enough said) was one of the best lefty relievers in MLB in 2013.

All of those were recent enough (late 2009 through late July 2010) to be a constant reminder of what can happen. 

It was part of a bigger picture, to be truthful.    This org has hopefully learned enough lessons these past few years (meddling owner, bad trades, giving away all lefty pitching prospects, no foreign presence, giving away 1st round draft picks, and signing aging sluggers to monstrosity contracts) to teach them through the next DECADE. 

This org was truly a TOTAL and UNMITIGATED clusterf&&& by this season.  

Mets West or Cubs West, take your pick.

I would add our team's strange fear of offering arbitration to walking players. Yes every now and then you might get stuck with a player but I think we have given up tons of draft picks.