• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto: 'No interest' in trading Mike Trout

fan_since79

The day Trout leaves is the day I stop becoming an Angels fan.

You can call me a fair weather fan but I have followed the team since 1981 and you do not let a talent like this get away.

The level of incompetence that would allow him to leave as a free agent would be too much to bear as a fan.

I agree with you in principal on this and the FO should do everything it possibly can to make this happen. However what if Mike doesn't want to play here long term? There will be nothing the FO can do to stop that.

Either way I won't stop being an Angels fan and I really do hope they keep Trout here forever, as he is a once in a generation talent, but if he wants to be somewhere else that is probably not going to be the FO's fault.

Are they going to get two or more players of the same caliber? If not, how is that intriguing? Why is it even talked about? Many are already saying that he is the best all-around position player in baseball. He should be as untouchable as untouchable can get.

I want him to stay an Angel just as much as every other fan does. He already is the best position player in baseball player, we all know that. You may not be intrigued, by I certainly am. It's fun to think of what he could bring back in a trade, if we don't have a chance of re-signing him. Who knows if someone would empty their farm for Trout. Look at where Texas is because of the Teixeira trade.

Edited by SoWhat

Let's put it in different terms: Scarcity.

The odds of finding a consistent 10 WAR player are pretty astronomical. You could replace him with say 3 3-WAR players but wouldn't it be best to keep your 10-WAR player and attempt to acquire or fill in positions around him with average to above average players (0-2 WAR players who are not nearly as scarce as even a 3-WAR player and can be found readily throughout the league)?

The other problem is now you have to pay three 3-WAR players versus just the one. Of course long-term that actually might turn out to be more affordable if you have to offer extensions to all of them (the 10-WAR player will have a huge contract obviously).

To me Trout is the rarest of all diamonds. He is irreplaceable and that just makes his value so high that I don't think any team could really provide enough trade value in return for him, making the conversation sort of moot from my perspective, at least right now.

Finding high production players (Over 2 WAR types) is not easy and the more productive they are, the rarer they become.

Edited by ettin

but if he wants to be somewhere else that is probably not going to be the FO's fault.

if Trout leaves, how much at fault the FO was will be the subject of endless debates.  Unless somewhere down the line Trout were to say "I had always planned on leaving the Angels to play somewhere else no matter what" you can't take the FO completely off the hook.  There will be lots of well-founded speculation that the Angels' FO messed up and soured the relationship, starting with the salary issue this past off-season, his position change, the team's struggles and gloomy future, Scioscia, etc.

I want him to stay an Angel just as much as every other fan does. He already is the best position player in baseball player, we all know that. You may not be intrigued, by I certainly am. It's fun to think of what he could bring back in a trade, if we don't have a chance of re-signing him. Who knows if someone would empty their farm for Trout. Look at where Texas is because of the Teixeira trade.

True, but as good as Teixeira was, he was not the same caliber as Mike Trout. Mike Trout is that very rare breed of ballplayer, the type that comes down the pike in very small numbers and very infrequently.

The real problem with extending him now is that it will change his AAV. There is only so much money to spend in order to stay under the luxury tax line, something Moreno seems adamant to do.

What does the "it's not my money" crowd say to this? Looking at the Halos books it is quite clear the goal is to avoid the luxury tax like the plague.

He should get at least a million dollars next year. Minimum. That's chump change compared to the gazillions we're paying the alleged superstars.

While I agree trout deserves more than the guys were paying big money to (and legitimate ly every other player in the game), it does not nor will ecer work that way.

The big money players are always paid for whay they've already done as much as what you hope they will do tomorrow.

Think of it as an ex wife. Theyre way more expensive after ten years of marriage.