• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

America's Cup

Lhalo

I hope the next America's Cup Regatta will be in San Francisco too. Seemed like a great location for the boats and for fans.

That was truly an amazing comeback.

I'd be willing to make a vacation up there to see the next one. Time to plan a trip to the Mark Hopkins so I can watch the race from my room wearing nothing but slippers while drinking a glass of scotch.

F NBC Sports.  Like 99% of the rest of the country I don't get this useless channel and I couldn't get to a bar to watch the race.  I figured I'd watch the youtube feed, but that was blacked out, no thanks to NBC.  And I was too busy/lazy to work around youtube. 

I'm pretty sure the next America's Cup MUST be in S.F. since the Cup technically stays with the sponsoring yacht club.  I don't think Ellison, despite his riches can choose where to have the next race.  Pretty funny that Ellison, instead of going with the more traditional and elite St. Francis Yacht Club simply purchased another yacht club to have control over most everything. 

That's one thing you typically can't buy with the elite yacht clubs:  admittance.  So, you just need to buy your own.  Problem solved.

Actually Ellison was a member of the St Francis, but the talks broke down (you're right, it's because he wanted more control than they were willing to give, also they wanted to choose the boat name), so the owner of the Golden Gate (which was near bankruptcy) called him and they got a deal done.

Golden Gate: 2, St Francis: 0.

And he does get to choose. That's why it was here in SF this year, they won in Valencia, Spain so they got to choose where to hold it next.

Of course Larry wanted it in his backyard.

Plus he got a monster ton of real estate development deals if he paid to fix up some of the older piers. 

good book on the subject here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Billionaire-Mechanic-Sailings-Greatest/dp/0802121357