• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia looking pretty silly again

nate

He is one of the most respected men in the game, despite what we all think of him. He will be one of the highest paid managers in the game and he will get a five year deal.

You vastly overrate Scioscia's value. People around the league aren't completely oblivious to what he's done the last 4 years in Anaheim. Notice how even idiots like Heyman and Morosi aren't calling him "one of the best managers in baseball" anymore. He can probably get a 2 year 5.5 million dollar "prove it" type contract from someone. North of 5 million per season would be outrageous for Scioscia. 

Edited by FireThemAll

You vastly overrate Scioscia's value. People around the league aren't completely oblivious to what he's done the last 4 years in Anaheim. Notice how even idiots like Heyman and Morosi aren't calling him "one of the best managers in baseball" anymore. He can probably get a 2 year 5.5 million dollar "prove it" type contract from someone. North of 5 million per season would be outrageous for Scioscia. 

I agree. No one really cares what Scioscia did 12 years ago.

Francona won twice as many World Series as Scioscia. And got fired 4 years after the second one.

Manuel got canned less than 5 years after his World Series win.

just because francona got fired, doesn't mean it was the right move. they brought the wrong guy in and the team blew up the next year.  then they got bailed out by the dodgers. 

It's not whether or not Sosh is a good manager. The bigger question is if he's the right guy for THIS team. It's easier to predict a player's performance because that is a skill set. Once a player hits a certain age or comes down with a career compromising injury you can expect a decline. But a manager's role is a lot different. Instead of a strict skill set, they work with philosophy, motivation, game plan, scouting, etc. This is something that doesn't decline but is more responsive to the players and organization.

Sosh is a great baseball guy with vast amounts of knowledge. If the Angels feel that Sosh's direction is no longer needed, there is another club that could be a better fit. In fact, I bet there are a couple clubs that are unhappy with their current manager and feel Sosh is the guy that can turn it around. I wouldn't be surprised if he does go elsewhere and has success. But that doesn't mean he would have had the same success with the Angels.

I feel the Angels do need a new energy in the clubhouse. For whatever reason, the players aren't responding to Sosh's direction. But I don't see Mike as a bad manager either. It's not Sosh's fault nor the player's. It's just one of those things in baseball where a manager leaves for a new team and has success while the team he left also finds success with a new manager. It's time for both Sosh and the Angels to move on.

I'm not even sure that it's related to the team not responding to him but that there were a couple of really bad players that sank the whole ship this season.  With hanson and blanton gone, they are 'responding' to him now.  In other words, the guys that he would likely make a difference with ie the younger guys, are doing pretty well. 

What manager is going to motivate Hamilton, Pujols, Blanton, to play better?

Honestly, get MS a bullpen and most peoples' minds will change about needing a new voice.

Unless it's a case of MS being burnt out by his current situation, then I could see bringing someone else in. 

Agree Scioscia has his flaws. Despite these flaws it is ridiculous to call him a bad a manager.

Totally agree with Mancini79.

I'm surprised by this. You're a stat guy, right? Scioscia is the guy with Cowgill, Shuck, and Aybar getting the bulk of the at bats at leadoff. We want these guys to get more at bats than Trout and Calhoun? The sacrifice bunting and reckless baserunning has reached ridiculous levels. I don't think he's a good manager anymore. Maybe middle of the pack at best.

I'm surprised by this. You're a stat guy, right? Scioscia is the guy with Cowgill, Shuck, and Aybar getting the bulk of the at bats at leadoff. We want these guys to get more at bats than Trout and Calhoun? The sacrifice bunting and reckless baserunning has reached ridiculous levels. I don't think he's a good manager anymore. Maybe middle of the pack at best.

the halos are 20th in the league in the number of sacrifice bunts. 

they are 13th in UBR - fangraphs baserunning stat, and 13th in BsR which is UBR and wSB combined. 

also, who should bat 1st if Trout is hitting 3rd?  Ianetta?  Calhoun has time there and there isn't a manager on the planet that would put Ianetta in the 1 spot.  It's also fairly well known from a metrics point of view that lineup order has very little effect on outcome. 

these aspects of managing are vastly overblown in my opinion as the perception directly relates to how often you watch specific teams play.  It's a total mixed bag of so called 'better' managers and whether their teams have better metrics in any of the above categories. 

there are some things I don't necessarily like that MS does - the contact play, some of his choices for the bullpen when the team is within a small margin, but they are generally fairly minor and would be seen by watching every move by other managers as well.