• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia looking pretty silly again

nate

Lol, he would be the highest paid on the Astros roster. Interesting that you chose all crappy NL teams. I guess the Dodgers are no longer interested. I doubt that any of those teams would take on his contract.

No actually I think the Dodgers still might be interested but everything hinges on how far they get into the playoffs. I didn't specifically pick crappy NL teams, only teams that seem likely to need managers. By the way the Mets could easily handle the payroll obligation and in fact the Astros could as well with their new Regional Sports Network deal so that throws your money concerns out the door.

You doubt that other teams want Scioscia simply because of your dislike for Scioscia. You shouldn't confuse the two.

That is your opinion.  Showalter has been fired three times, and has never won a championship.

Sosh won his championship almost 12 years ago now. Not sure if you can use that argument anymore. The fact is that Showalter has been more successful recently. There is no reason for the Orioles to even consider replacing him with Sosh.

Sosh won his championship almost 12 years ago now. Not sure if you can use that argument anymore. The fact is that Showalter has been more successful recently. There is no reason for the Orioles to even consider replacing him with Sosh.

What I find interesting about Showalter is how his teams win right after he leaves.  Not saying he isn't a good manager, but as far as rating managers and how good/bad they are, it's pretty much entirely based on opinion.

What I find interesting about Showalter is how his teams win right after he leaves.  Not saying he isn't a good manager, but as far as rating managers and how good/bad they are, it's pretty much entirely based on opinion.

Showalter's Yankees were in first place at the time of the strike in 1994. They made the postseason in 1995.

Showalter's Diamondbacks won 100 games and the NL West in their second season ever in 1999.

Showalter's Orioles, who were doormats for 15 years prior to his taking over in 2010, played .596 ball the rest of that season, and were in the postseason last year (and have a shot this year).

Winning percentage by team:

Yankees: .539

D-backs: .514 (including their expansion year)

Rangers: .492

Orioles (so far): .521

His teams (the Rangers being the exception) won WHILE he was their manager.

No actually I think the Dodgers still might be interested but everything hinges on how far they get into the playoffs. I didn't specifically pick crappy NL teams, only teams that seem likely to need managers. By the way the Mets could easily handle the payroll obligation and in fact the Astros could as well with their new Regional Sports Network deal so that throws your money concerns out the door.

You doubt that other teams want Scioscia simply because of your dislike for Scioscia. You shouldn't confuse the two.

1) I doubt that any MLB GM would want give up their power or authority to Mike Scioscia.

2) I doubt that any MLB team would want to take on his contract.

That's what I said.

All complete conjecture.

Which part? That Bo Porter is cheaper than Scioscia? That the Marlins would not pay Scioscia's salary, which would be more than all but one player who opened the year on the team, but is now gone (Nolasco)? The first is fact, the second is factual (salary-wise), and based on the history of the Marlins, the rest can be counted on to be true. Unless they go on another very unlikely spending spree.

But hey, denial ain't just a river in Egypt (and Sudan, and Ethiopia, etc).

Edited by Mark68

Which part? That Bo Porter is cheaper than Scioscia? That the Marlins would not pay Scioscia's salary, which would be more than all but one player who opened the year on the team, but is now gone (Nolasco)? The first is fact, the second is factual (salary-wise), and based on the history of the Marlins, the rest can be counted on to be true. Unless they go on another very unlikely spending spree.

But hey, denial ain't just a river in Egypt (and Sudan, and Ethiopia, etc).

All of it, it's your opinion.  Not fact.  Talk about denial

Mets, maybe.

Rockies, no. They just brought in Walt Weiss.

Marlins, no. They most certainly would not take over Scioscia's salary.

Astros, no. I'm pretty sure they're committed to Bo Porter (who is much cheaper).

You are correct about Weiss, but absolutely wrong about the Marlins. These are the same Marlins who signed Reyes and wanted to sign Pujols. They have plenty of money to spend on pretty much anyone they want. The Astros have stated a commitment to Porter but as some of our match ups have shown this year Porter clearly didn't understand some of the fundamental rules of the game that a manager should know by heart. The Stro's will probably keep him but I'm sure they would consider picking Scioscia up if the opportunity presented itself.

1) I doubt that any MLB GM would want give up their power or authority to Mike Scioscia.

2) I doubt that any MLB team would want to take on his contract.

That's what I said.

Okay sorry dislike wasn't the correct word. However you do firmly believe those two points above and I firmly disagree. Experienced managers like Scioscia are in relatively short supply and I think a lot of front offices would seriously consider hiring him and even taking on his contract. As far as the "power and authority" part I think that is a pretty overblown perception about Mike and I think the real solution is to find a like minded GM to Mike's style of managing without the GM having to "move aside" for Scioscia.

You are correct about Weiss, but absolutely wrong about the Marlins. These are the same Marlins who signed Reyes and wanted to sign Pujols. They have plenty of money to spend on pretty much anyone they want. The Astros have stated a commitment to Porter but as some of our match ups have shown this year Porter clearly didn't understand some of the fundamental rules of the game that a manager should know by heart. The Stro's will probably keep him but I'm sure they would consider picking Scioscia up if the opportunity presented itself.

Except the Marlins just traded the one guy on their roster who makes more than Scioscia does. Two years ago, they signed Reyes, Buerhle, and almost signed Pujols because they were making some big splashes to coincide with the opening of their new park. When that didn't work out, they turned into the same old Marlins.