• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Play GM

sneaky flute being the first one to get what I'm getting at.

Eceryone right now is looking at the dodgers as a big success (which I completely understand). But this is also a team that was just as bad as us roughly 6 weeks ago. Looking at hanley and uribe, I have to call fluke (like harang and capuano last year for them).

In terms of kershaw, he's a beast. Best in the game. He'll get 200 mill I assume, based on his age, and the grienke/felix deals.

But looking forward a year or two from now:

Kemp still has 6 years left, and I still question how real his 2011 was (based on his three years prior). He's a stud, but if he loses his speed, his power drops to low 20's home runs and becomes more of a corner outfielder, is it a good deal?

Agon is very solid...but still has 5 years left. He's making pujols money to be a .300 hitter and low 20's power. Very solid, better than what we have...but they had to eat becketts money to get him. Also crawford...

....who has 4 more years and 80 million left. Crawford, who for 20 mill, is putting up shucks numbers roughly.

Like flute said, once kershaw resigns (assuming he does), they're looking at a close to 300 mill payroll (with luxury tax higher) for a team that's going to get old really quick.

And that doesn't include ethier.

So my point isn't 'lets worry about the dodgers', but to try and look at our team from a different angle. I know they're media deal is better, but financially I think were pretty even. And aside from pujols/hamilton, were not really as painted into a corner contract wise as they are.

If the Dodgers go on to win it all after nearly being bankrupt, it was all worth it. 

Their decisions have put them in a position to win it all. They will draw 4 million fans this season so I can't find a reason to criticize their FO or the heart and desire that I see on the field. In fact I'm jealous that they rose to the top of the NL West while we sunk to near the bottom of the AL West. I'm sure that Dodger Talk is alive and well and don't rule out Robinson Cano getting a legitimate offer by our neighbors in blue. 

If I was Dipoto I would give Mike Trout a 3-year $75M contract right now and start marketing the team exclusively around him. Keep him happy, build around him and make sure that he understands the he is the the franchise not Pujols!

So we don't buy any FA years?  Just give him 25 million a year during the years we control him and let him walk FA after that?

Give the man 180 mil over ten years!  Then you have him and he will be happy!

Mike Trout is the only reason I haven't stopped watching Angels Baseball this season. If he's not ready to commit long-term than you do whatever it takes to keep him happy playing here. It can't be fun for Mike Trout to watch all of the overpaid underachievers mail it in game after game. You pay him good now and you market him as the franchise player now. Discussing an 8-10 year commitment by Mike Trout with this teams current condition is not going to happen.       

If you can't resign him to 10 years than there is no benefit in "keeping him happy".  He will bolt for FA!  So offer Trout your best deal.  If he turns him down pay him the minimum.  Trout will still play hard because he is building is value for his FA contract.  Plus we should trade him his last year if Trout doesn't want to sign an extension.

So we don't buy any FA years?  Just give him 25 million a year during the years we control him and let him walk FA after that?

Give the man 180 mil over ten years!  Then you have him and he will be happy!

Storm I'm just hoping that he wants to stay here. Yes it sounds crazy but this kid is our Babe Ruth. He's our Joe Dimaggio.

We need to give this kid the key to the city. If he's not ready to commit long-term then we still need to take care of him short-term. Give him a chance to build that mansion in Anaheim Hills and market the crap out of him. Meanwhile build a competitive team around him. The only long-term 8-10 year deal that Trout would agree to right now will certainly include a player only opt-out clause.   

I knew what you were getting Ocho, but I actually do think they are in a much different financial position.  Regardless of whether we want to admit it, they are the bigger draw and worth more money so their financial situation, even with their payroll where it's at, is much different.

The big difference is that they have remained focused on pitching, balance, and haven't decimated their farm system.  It isn't spectacular by any stretch, but their top guys are generally intact.  I actually hope they come close to winning this year yet don't pull it off so they make a bunch of dumb off season trades and hopefully we can get Lee and another arm from them for Kendrick. 

If and when they lock up Kershaw, they will have him, Ryu and Greinke for awhile.  Even if they decide to tighten the purse strings a bit, that is still a very nice core. 

I agree mostly, doc. Rheir front end pitching is amazing, and locked up for a bit. As long as there are no injuries and ryu doesn't regeess, they're good there for a bit.

But I still call their ofdense flukey. Puig is an unknown. Came out of nowhere and has been a beasy. But his patience is something to keep an eye on. I'm going on record now saying hanley doesn't repeat next year. He and uribe are playing well above their norm (hanleys 5 year split is worth a look).

Kemp absolutely could come back next year and be an all star. Or, he could get back to his non 2011 numbers. A very plus player, but not quite what his reputation is.

Mainly, I'm looking at the agon/crawford/ethier/kemp deals. Agon is very solid, but not what he's been paid to be. I know counting stats are a grain of salt, but a one footed pujols has hit as many home runs in 4 months this year almost as much as agon has hit since the dogs got him. Of course agon has been the better hitter overall, but not the feared slugger he was aquired to be. And like our big contracts, he's over 30, and has 5 more years.

Crawford is a shell of his formal self. Necer a big power guy, but now its even lower. Throw in the gone stolen base machine of yester year, and 20 mill is a lot of cash for jb shuck...

Ethier? Solid, but he's a platoon player now. And he's still got 4 years left, and isn't cheap. My main point being, offense wise, I see big regression next season, and they're locked in to all these guys.

I just think they have a smaller window than some think. The offense will get old (and very expensive), and the starting pitching will slow a bit in the next 3 years. Still very solid, and kershaw is young, but I don't think grienke will be 'as dominant' by 2015/6. Once that happens, that old offense isn't going to make up the difference.

I'm probably biased. I recognize how much talent they have, but they also scuffled badly in the first half. Theyve has a cupcake second half (mostly). They're in a great position to win it this year. I just think if they don't, 2-3 years from now, they're gonna be in a very bad spot.

I would rather be in a bad spot in 2 or 3 years with a chance to win the ws for next 2 or 3 yrs than a awful spot now and in 3 yrs. their owner has the deepest pockets in MLB. A huge tv contract. Giant stadium. One of the most recognizable names in baseball and LA to pack in 50 plus thousand a night. Seems like their farm is intact and they have a sense of direction. Damn I'd settle for a sense of direction right now from the Angels. Not the gigantic mess we have in our ownership, front office and managerial position.

Wow, how much money do you really need in life?

If someone is going to offer you more money you are more likely gonna take it. It is a business. Players would be stupid to accept lower cash then higher cash. Heck I don't blame Pujols for getting the most he could out of one of the worst front offices in baseball. I blame the Angels. Heck I would have signed with Florida for the 300 million guaranteed.

I would rather be in a bad spot in 2 or 3 years with a chance to win the ws for next 2 or 3 yrs than a awful spot now and in 3 yrs. their owner has the deepest pockets in MLB. A huge tv contract. Giant stadium. One of the most recognizable names in baseball and LA to pack in 50 plus thousand a night. Seems like their farm is intact and they have a sense of direction. Damn I'd settle for a sense of direction right now from the Angels. Not the gigantic mess we have in our ownership, front office and managerial position.

I think you're overestimating them a bit.

Their offense is overachieving, and its going to be tougher for them to advance in the playoffs than it would be in the world series, imo. St lou and atlanta are more solid than the dodgers. Cinc is bipolar on tje road, but has as good of pitching as the dodgers this year (even without cueto), and a better offense.

The point being, if the dodgers don't win it this year, next year at the latest, it will all be for nothing. Regardless of them having more money, they're also paying more (by far) than most. And that's before kershaw signs.

Go back to my earlier posts. Did you think they were in a good spot two months ago? We were better than them at the break. Think about that.

Regardless of their income, they won't brush off a close to 300 million salary (plus its luxery tax) and simply keep buying players in 2 years when they are really old.