• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Play GM

There's a million topics on how bad we are. Lets try it from another angle.

You're a dodger fan. Are you happy with the state of your team? Meaning finance wise.

Do you believe their long term deals are safe bets/smart moves? Do you break the bank on kershaw? Do you extend hanley?

The only reason I ask, I'm sure the answers would have looked different a few months ago. I'm pretty sure they'll be different in a few years too.

You're a dodger fan. Are you happy with the state of your team? Meaning finance wise.

Do you believe their long term deals are safe bets/smart moves? Do you break the bank on kershaw? Do you extend hanley?

The only reason I ask, I'm sure the answers would have looked different a few months ago. I'm pretty sure they'll be different in a few years too.

If I'm the Dogs, absolutely break the bank on Kershaw. He's young, he's lefthanded, and damn good at his job.

I do not extend Hanley.

I throw all the amount of reasonable money at Kershaw, Hanley no. Speaking in a hypothetical, it is the same way I saw the Red Sox a few years ago. Too many people, not enough roster space. Too much money on hand, and the inevitable decrease in production. As " faux Dodger fan" I'd be worried as hell as to the future. They don't win it this year, there is never a guarantee you can make it back again. This would be the worst season to fail. They just completed a run that hasn't been seen in over 70 years and the could potential lose out on a WS? I would want to commit suicide at that point. So much money on the books.....and who is to say there will be a team that would be willing to take on those ridiculous commitments that get made afterwards in future years? 

You absolutely offer Kershaw 7/$175.

I'd say he's worth mkre, YOT

But then you have to figure, there's a ton of innings snd breakinf pitches on that arm...he's 25, but probably has the arm of of a 30 year old by now.

He's as good as any pitcher in the last....before anhone we've seen before this years....but he also has been here for a bit, and for all we know, he can 'throw' his arm into mediocracy.

I'm with you, I lock him up. But my point is, (thread wise), ANY big contract has a risk.

I see what you're doing here dude. Nice! :)

If I was Dipoto I would give Mike Trout a 3-year $75M contract right now and start marketing the team exclusively around him. Keep him happy, build around him and make sure that he understands the he is the the franchise not Pujols!

That's silly considering we get trout for much cheaper than that for the next 3 years.  If you are giving Trout a contract it has to include some free agent years.

If I was Dipoto I would give Mike Trout a 3-year $75M contract right now and start marketing the team exclusively around him. Keep him happy, build around him and make sure that he understands the he is the the franchise not Pujols!

This mkes no sense. He won't make $75 in his first two arb years.

This mkes no sense. He won't make $75 in his first two arb years.

That's exactly why it does make sense. He's the best thing that's ever happened to the Angels franchise and yet they paid the two biggest failos much more than that. Are the Angels obligated to pay Mike Trout that kind of money? No, but they should. He's the only reason the Youth of Today is watching Angels Baseball.  

That's exactly why it does make sense. He's the best thing that's ever happened to the Angels franchise and yet they paid the two biggest failos much more than that. Are the Angels obligated to pay Mike Trout that kind of money? No, but they should. He's the only reason the Youth of Today is watching Angels Baseball.  

you don't pay him more than what he would make in his arb years and then let him walk.  That would be colossally bad idea. If you pay him more than he'd make in arb, you should get the benefit of having him around for a couple more years. 

Claude, you have seriously lost it. If you make Trout a preemptive arbitration offer it is to blend those years with free agency years to make both the contract good for the Angels but also Trout's long time future. At this point it is pretty obvious that Trout's rookie season was no fluke year or a flash in the pan player so if you are building a team around him you have to think of taking him out of free agency for what is most players prime years and that is through their twenties. Only an 8-10 year deal at this point makes any sense for both sides to discuss.

Claude, you have seriously lost it. If you make Trout a preemptive arbitration offer it is to blend those years with free agency years to make both the contract good for the Angels but also Trout's long time future. At this point it is pretty obvious that Trout's rookie season was no fluke year or a flash in the pan player so if you are building a team around him you have to think of taking him out of free agency for what is most players prime years and that is through their twenties. Only an 8-10 year deal at this point makes any sense for both sides to discuss.

Mike Trout is the only reason I haven't stopped watching Angels Baseball this season. If he's not ready to commit long-term than you do whatever it takes to keep him happy playing here. It can't be fun for Mike Trout to watch all of the overpaid underachievers mail it in game after game. You pay him good now and you market him as the franchise player now. Discussing an 8-10 year commitment by Mike Trout with this teams current condition is not going to happen.       

If he is not going to commit to a long term contract then just pay him whatever the base rate is. Throwing $75 million at him for three years when he still has another arbitration year left is pretty stupid. Or are you really applying for the Angels GM job?

I predict that he will ask to be traded by the end of next season. So yeah, pay him his base rate. 

Their payroll is approaching 300 million and they have maybe two players worth 20 million, so no I don't think they're smart moves. **** that organization

sneaky flute being the first one to get what I'm getting at.

Eceryone right now is looking at the dodgers as a big success (which I completely understand). But this is also a team that was just as bad as us roughly 6 weeks ago. Looking at hanley and uribe, I have to call fluke (like harang and capuano last year for them).

In terms of kershaw, he's a beast. Best in the game. He'll get 200 mill I assume, based on his age, and the grienke/felix deals.

But looking forward a year or two from now:

Kemp still has 6 years left, and I still question how real his 2011 was (based on his three years prior). He's a stud, but if he loses his speed, his power drops to low 20's home runs and becomes more of a corner outfielder, is it a good deal?

Agon is very solid...but still has 5 years left. He's making pujols money to be a .300 hitter and low 20's power. Very solid, better than what we have...but they had to eat becketts money to get him. Also crawford...

....who has 4 more years and 80 million left. Crawford, who for 20 mill, is putting up shucks numbers roughly.

Like flute said, once kershaw resigns (assuming he does), they're looking at a close to 300 mill payroll (with luxury tax higher) for a team that's going to get old really quick.

And that doesn't include ethier.

So my point isn't 'lets worry about the dodgers', but to try and look at our team from a different angle. I know they're media deal is better, but financially I think were pretty even. And aside from pujols/hamilton, were not really as painted into a corner contract wise as they are.