• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This team is one arm in the starting rotation and one in the bullpen from competing in 2014

rageous

I'd say the Angels are two GOOD starting pitchers (legitimate #3 SP in MLB) and a good bullpen arm away from being in the middle of a playoff race, and this is assuming that Garrett Richards is as good as I believe he is, which is a solid #3/4 SP for right now.  

The good bullpen arm may already be in their system.  Mike Morin, Nick Maronde and R.J. Alvarez should all be in the bullpen in the next year, and when combined with Frieri, a healthy Burnett, De La Rosa, Kohn and Jepsen, you're look at a really good staff.  

The hard part is getting those two good SP that I talked about.  I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if the Angels dealt Kendrick, money, Cron and Grichuk to Tampa Bay for Jeremy Hellickson, then use the 9 million they cleared off payroll in that trade to try and sign Matt Garza.

Bullpen:

• Sign Edward Mujica
  • Sign a guy like Tim Stauffer
  • Promote Mike Morin

Rotation:

• Offer Jason Vargas comp.  (13.4M)
  • If he accepts - Deal ONE of Kendrick/Trumbo/Bourjos for a starter
  • If he declines - Deal TWO of Kendrick/Trumbo/Bourjos for TWO starters

Mujica, Frieri, Morin, Stauffer, Kohn, Maronde,

Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, SP #1, Richards

OR

Mujica, Frieri, Richards, Morin, Stauffer, Kohn, Maronde

Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, SP #1, SP #2

It's a shame it took almost everyone here, and the Angels organization, the 2013 season to figure this out.

the team would be worse off than they are now :)

seriously though.  there is no one that would have predicted the massive failure of Albert and Josh.  If we had moved trumbo for an arm instead of signing Blanton, we would have been in the same spot as las year.  Somewhat in range yet not in the lead.  It may have incentivised JD to make a play for Peavy or Cliff Lee.  Not that we'd have the pieces, but I could see something like that having happened. 

We'd end up 3 games back of the second wild card.

Whatever happened to Luebke from the Padres? I haven't heard anything on him this season. I wanted to see us make a play for him last season. I wonder what it would take to pry him away from SD

On March 30, 2012, Luebke agreed to a four-year extension with the Padres worth a guaranteed $12 million that includes 2 club options for 2016 and 2017. He received a $500,000 bonus for the deal. He will earn $0.5 million in 2012, $1 million in 2013, $3 million in 2014 and $5.25 million in 2015. His 2016 option is worth $7.5 million and has a $1.75 million buyout, and his 2017 option is worth $10 million with a $250,000 buyout. Luebke could earn up to $27.75 million.[9]

Luebke opened 2012 in the Padres starting rotation and made 5 starts, going 3-1 with a 2.61 ERA, before being removed from the rotation with elbow tightness and soreness.[10] On May 20, 2012, Cory Luebke underwent Tommy John surgery to repair a partial tear of the UCL in his left elbow, causing him to miss the rest of the 2012 season.

I guess he's still injured. He doesn't have any major league or minor league numbers this year.  

On March 30, 2012, Luebke agreed to a four-year extension with the Padres worth a guaranteed $12 million that includes 2 club options for 2016 and 2017. He received a $500,000 bonus for the deal. He will earn $0.5 million in 2012, $1 million in 2013, $3 million in 2014 and $5.25 million in 2015. His 2016 option is worth $7.5 million and has a $1.75 million buyout, and his 2017 option is worth $10 million with a $250,000 buyout. Luebke could earn up to $27.75 million.[9]

Luebke opened 2012 in the Padres starting rotation and made 5 starts, going 3-1 with a 2.61 ERA, before being removed from the rotation with elbow tightness and soreness.[10]On May 20, 2012, Cory Luebke underwent Tommy John surgery to repair a partial tear of the UCL in his left elbow, causing him to miss the rest of the 2012 season.

I guess he's still injured. He doesn't have any major league or minor league numbers this year.

That explains a lot. Welp, nevermind that

Thanks for the info

Bullpen:

• Sign Edward Mujica
  • Sign a guy like Tim Stauffer
  • Promote Mike Morin

Rotation:

• Offer Jason Vargas comp.  (13.4M)
  • If he accepts - Deal ONE of Kendrick/Trumbo/Bourjos for a starter
  • If he declines - Deal TWO of Kendrick/Trumbo/Bourjos for TWO starters

Mujica, Frieri, Morin, Stauffer, Kohn, Maronde,

Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, SP #1, Richards

OR

Mujica, Frieri, Richards, Morin, Stauffer, Kohn, Maronde

Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, SP #1, SP #2

Love the idea of getting Mujica although he's probably gonna get closer money which would be uncharacteristic for someone like JD to covet. 

DDLR is essentially Stauffer.  (numbers are scary close actually.)  Don't really see him being necessary.

Also, you forgot Burnett and Rasmus.  Both those guys should see plenty of time next year.

I personally think we need to trade for two starters in addition to signing Vargas.  One that slots ahead of Wilson.  Like a Geo Gonzalez type

How about a blockbuster.  Trumbo and Aybar to pittsburgh for Cole, Hanson, and a pen arm. (I know, dreaming)

Then you move Bourjos or kendrick for a solid back of the rotation guy.  

Sign a DH/1b type to a one year deal till Cron is ready.  Like a Morneau type.  

Richards become the sixth starter for when someone invariable gets hurt.   

the team would be worse off than they are now :)

seriously though.  there is no one that would have predicted the massive failure of Albert and Josh.  If we had moved trumbo for an arm instead of signing Blanton, we would have been in the same spot as las year.  Somewhat in range yet not in the lead.  It may have incentivised JD to make a play for Peavy or Cliff Lee.  Not that we'd have the pieces, but I could see something like that having happened. 

We'd end up 3 games back of the second wild card.

What if we kept Morales and traded Trumbo and Bourjos this past offseason? Morales is a pure hitter, I don't care what anybody says -- the fatty doesn't get the attention he deserves. Even if we would have been out of it by trad deadline this year, we would have a trade chip in Morales. Vargas is growing on me, probably because of his command + lefty + composure, but it's not a surprise to me to see Trumbo and Bourjos' value drop even more.

I like it Scott, but it just seems like we're spending money on things we already have with Stauffer. 

1. Trade Hanson to KC for a prospect.

2. Non-tender Williams, give him a shot with someone else in baseball.

3. Offer Jason Vargas compensation, for which he'll surely decline and gain compensation round pick.

4. Trade Kendrick, Cron, Grichuk and 5 million to TB for Hellickon (yeah I'm sticking with it).

5. Trade Cowart, Jepsen and the compensation round pick from Vargas to Cubs for Jeff Samardzija.

6. Sign Edward Mujica. 

C- Conger. 1B - Trumbo. 2B - Lindsey. SS - Aybar. 3B - Green. LF - Trout. CF - Bourjos. RF - Hamilton. DH- Pujols.

Nelson splits time at 3B with Green while Green also splits time at 2B with Lindsey.  Shuck and Calhoun are both kept on staff because Bourjos is an injury risk and both Hamilton and Pujols are injury and ineffectiveness risks. 

BENCH: Nelson, Shuck, Calhoun, Iannetta.

ROTATION: Weav, Wilson, Samardzija, Hellickson, Richards

BULLPEN: Mujica, Frieri, Burnett, DDLR, Kohn, Maronde, Morin

I'd be willing to bet that team would finally break the 90 win plateau, assuming Scioscia shows a quick trigger finger on certain players not hitting the ball. 

the problem I have with moving Cron, Grichuk and Cowart is that aside from the fact that it depletes just about all of what little we have in the upper minors in terms of prospects, you are selling low on all of them. 

Keep the farm intact.  See if you can move some guys from the major league club who are semi-replaceable and if it doesn't work then at least your are still somewhat intact for a rebuild if necessary.  The major league players will net you more and there is some redundancy there to pull from. 

I'd say the Angels are two GOOD starting pitchers (legitimate #3 SP in MLB) and a good bullpen arm away from being in the middle of a playoff race, and this is assuming that Garrett Richards is as good as I believe he is, which is a solid #3/4 SP for right now.  

The good bullpen arm may already be in their system.  Mike Morin, Nick Maronde and R.J. Alvarez should all be in the bullpen in the next year, and when combined with Frieri, a healthy Burnett, De La Rosa, Kohn and Jepsen, you're look at a really good staff.  

The hard part is getting those two good SP that I talked about.  I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if the Angels dealt Kendrick, money, Cron and Grichuk to Tampa Bay for Jeremy Hellickson, then use the 9 million they cleared off payroll in that trade to try and sign Matt Garza.

Do you think Alvarez would be really ready to join the team next year or did you mean mean at some point next year? My assumption would have been a September call-up next year the earliest. I also think Rasmus would be a mainstay as a middle relief pitcher by next year as well.

IMO, the Angels need to prioritize the BP this offseason.  If you can trade Trumbo for a young under control SP or prospects go for it, but for God's sake prioritize turning games into a  6-7 inning affair.  Teams that can cut a game in "half" have a massive edge.   I know everyone is ready to hand 2B to Lindsey, but he's not a sure thing and for all the talk about his offense being close to ready, his defense is at times iffy.   This team has 50 or so games to let Calhoun and company show what they can do.  Give him all the PT they can and then go into an off-season with a better idea what you have there.  Call up Cron in September and throw him at the wolves at 1B.  If his hand eye is as good as touted he should be able to handle himself, if he shows he can put up an Ave/OBP in the .270/.330 range then you have your backup 1B next year which opens the team up to trade Trumbo.   Calhoun/Shuck as the 4th 5th OFers DHs.   Cost controlled and leave average production.   AP/Cron at 1B/DH.      You can still have an OF of Trout/PB/Hamilton and more players who can actually go 1st to third and run the bases on the bench.  The MI would remain a strength...  and hopefully the Angels can cash in on Trumbo's perceived value while at the same time saving a couple bucks.

Bring back Vargas, trust Richards. fix the pen, cash in on Trumbo for depth at SP, add some youth, get faster, younger, and lose nothing from the standpoint of flexibility.     If they don't bring up Cron/Lindsey and at least try to see what they have there -- I'll have a lot less faith in this team's ability to chart their course.