• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sneaky Good deal ?

Ron Mexico

3 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I know it's only a Minor league deal but am I the only one who likes  this signing ? I definitely like him more than Thaiss behind the plate.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/angels-sign-francisco-mejia-to-minor-league-deal.html

I have it on good authority, Blarg and Nando’s neighbor, that this is an overpay.  

23 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, it could be really good. Mejia was a really good prospect 5-6 years ago. I vaguely remember some talk (here) about him being a trade target. This was back in the Maldonado-Lucroy days, before Stassi and way before O'Hoppe and Quero.

As long as it keeps Chad Wallach from being called up, I am on board. 

I love Mejia's bat, and mentioned before, he has the athleticism to play the OF right now. I think that might be good for him too, getting him out from behind the plate could unlock something offensively the way it did for Taylor Ward. 

As @Inside Pitch mentioned though, his bat is really batting average dependent. 

But my big thing with Mejia is his floor. At worst, I think the Angels just got a VERY good backup at the major league level on a minor league contract. 

I think the likely outcome here is that Mejia spends a significant amount of time with the Angels this year.

Ya'll are like the "I can fix him" women chasing the neighborhood deadbeat drug dealer scuzzball.

We're not gonna fix Mejia.  And before you "Mickey Moniak" at me, Moniak was only 24 when we got him.  Mejia is like 56 years old in catcher-years.

On the positive side, I do like this signing better than Kevin Maitan or Roberto Baldoquin.

6 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Ya'll are like the "I can fix him" women chasing the neighborhood deadbeat drug dealer scuzzball.

We're not gonna fix Mejia.  And before you "Mickey Moniak" at me, Moniak was only 24 when we got him.  Mejia is like 56 years old in catcher-years.

On the positive side, I do like this signing better than Kevin Maitan or Roberto Baldoquin.

I get where you're going with this but catcher years work completely different than any other position, save for maybe RPs.  It's not uncommon for catchers to take forever to finally break out -- mostly due to the defensive demands of the position -- Varitek is a good example -- guy was all everything coming out of GA Tech, was a Golden Spikes winner and didn't catch regularly until he was 27.

Dude hasn't really piled on a ton of innings, so even if he was 56 years old he's only about 37 when you factor in his total innings.