• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Angels clubhouse was “Twenty-five plus one.”

BTH

9 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

personally think the whole 5 man vs. 6 man rotation is sorta overblown.  

By the end of the year, most teams, even good ones, end up having 7, 8, 9 + guys make starts.  If you've got Gerrit Cole on your team, he's starting every 5th game.   Or to put it another way, if you had 4 other starters that were good enough, you'd just have to fill around them and Ohtani in more of a piecemeal fashion.  It really wouldn't be that different.  

To me, DH at bats being freed up is far more beneficial than going back to a 5 man rotation.  

I think one other benefit of a 5-man rotation vs. a 6-man rotation is that guys don’t go 5-6 days between starts. That’s too long, imo.

2 hours ago, BTH said:

I think one other benefit of a 5-man rotation vs. a 6-man rotation is that guys don’t go 5-6 days between starts. That’s too long, imo.

i see it as quite the opposite. more rest between starts is better. 

it'll be interesting to see how having a 5-man rotation affects detmers, sandoval, canning, et al this year, and whether it's due to pitching a bit more often or if the pitching philosophy has changed, or if they're just a year wiser and better. i'm not really sure how to measure something like this, but it'll be worth seeing how it goes.

When you factor in that most series are three or four games, plus a travel day (other than longish home stands) then it usually gives a starter about five days between starts. Sometimes six, occasionally four. 

A rhythm and routine is important in a rotation, and a five man set up seems the most practical. It provides enough recovery time between starts. With a sixth starter it pushes things back and can disrupt the continuity and rhythm.

As well, today pitchers generally throw far fewer innings than in the past. Very few complete games or starts with many more than a hundred pitches. 

In the past, a four man rotation was common, with many of the better pitchers routinely throwing over 200 innings. 

Has the physiology changed that much in terms of strain and stress on the arm? The discussion also relates to the difference in size, strength, type of pitches thrown in different eras. But there is a pretty dramatic difference in how starters are used and what is expected from them. 

I think it's more about strategy and analytics. As well as a much more specialized and far more proficient progression of the relief pitcher. 

Today, the norm is for the starter to go six or seven innings, bring in one or two of the late relievers for an inning or two and then the closer for an inning. And when the starter can't go six, the middle men are thrown in. 

So the in game rhythm now pretty much limits how many innings a starter goes. With exceptions game to game. 

I don't see how a six man rotation is necessary under usual circumstances. Maybe if the bulk of the starters are bad they have the number of starts reduced. But generally, a healthy pitcher should easily be comfortable with the five man rotation. 

the term 'workhorse' is a joke compared to what it used to signify. Look at the history books before analytics became the norm. 

Anyways, it will be at least another season till Ohtani pitches. By then the Dodgers will have strategized how to align their staff and rotation. And who knows what the situation will be by then. 

15 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

personally think the whole 5 man vs. 6 man rotation is sorta overblown.  

By the end of the year, most teams, even good ones, end up having 7, 8, 9 + guys make starts.  If you've got Gerrit Cole on your team, he's starting every 5th game.   Or to put it another way, if you had 4 other starters that were good enough, you'd just have to fill around them and Ohtani in more of a piecemeal fashion.  It really wouldn't be that different.  

To me, DH at bats being freed up is far more beneficial than going back to a 5 man rotation.  

@Blarg thoughts?

On 12/17/2023 at 9:16 AM, BTH said:

I did a ton of research on this last year and I don’t think there’s a difference between 4 and 5, but 6 starts to get problematic. 

On 12/17/2023 at 9:16 AM, BTH said:

On 12/17/2023 at 11:36 AM, Tank said:

i see it as quite the opposite. more rest between starts is better. 

it'll be interesting to see how having a 5-man rotation affects detmers, sandoval, canning, et al this year, and whether it's due to pitching a bit more often or if the pitching philosophy has changed, or if they're just a year wiser and better. i'm not really sure how to measure something like this, but it'll be worth seeing how it goes.

In an era where pitchers are asked to throw harder, I see the additional rest as a good thing, as well. Might have a cumulative effect on reducing arm injuries, but I have no idea if any real, significant scientific studies have been performed in this area, to substantiate that thought.

Anything to reduce and mitigate arm injuries is a worthy effort, but it all has to be grounded in factual information, which the sport has not fully explored yet.