• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What player acquisition had you most excited (when you first heard the announcement)

Chuck

What Angels player had you most excited after they were signed via free agency or acquired in a trade?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What Angels player had you most excited after they were signed via free agency or acquired in a trade?

• Reggie Jackson
    • Mo Vaughn
    • Shohei Ohtani
    • Torii Hunter
    • Vladimir Guerrero
    • Mark Teixeira
    • Albert Pujols
    • Zack Grienke
    • Rod Carew
    • Dan Haren
    • Anthony Rendon
    • Josh Hamilton
    • Nolan Ryan
    • Fred Lynn
    • Frank Robinson
    • Bobby Grich
    • Bartolo Colon
    • Mark Langston

Man those are some memorable names.  I would have to say Pujols.  I was excited for Vlad and Colon when Arte signed them both after the disappointing 2003 season, but getting Pujols, an all-time great player to come to the Angels was a coup.  Of course there were warning signs during his last season with the Cardinals, but I thought it was overblown.  Of course, we all know how that signing worked out. 

I remember visiting my dad in Seattle when I was like 8 years old and the Mariners were playing the New York Yankees. 

I was super stoked to see Reggie. While heading up the ramp to our level Mariners employees were passing out Reggie bars to everyone.

It was Reggie night in the Kingdome. You don’t see that type of promotional stuff for opposing teams players in your own stadium these days. 

While Ohtani will create some buzz from opposing fans, there will never be another one like Reggie. 

9 hours ago, Chuck said:

I remember visiting my dad in Seattle when I was like 8 years old and the Mariners were playing the New York Yankees. 

I was super stoked to see Reggie. While heading up the ramp to our level Mariners employees were passing out Reggie bars to everyone.

It was Reggie night in the Kingdome. You don’t see that type of promotional stuff for opposing teams players in your own stadium these days. 

While Ohtani will create some buzz from opposing fans, there will never be another one like Reggie. 

Amen brother.  Loved Reggie.  We should have won it all in 86. 

• 2 weeks later...

At the time, in order (as best as I can remember these):

Vladimir Guerrero - he was such a criminally underrated talent, I was psyched we did it, since it appeared we weren't even trying.

Shohei Ohtani - so pleased he chose us - said maybe the franchise was going in the right direction ...

Rod Carew - I always loved Carew, unconventional and classy, and was happy to see him come over

Fred Lynn - Limited by injuries, he still did well for us.

Torii Hunter - Hunter was always such a pleasure to watch with the Twins and a great personality 

Reggie Jackson - Felt over-the-hill, but I under-estimated him he still had some gas in the tank  And still, he was Reggie so ...

Zack Grienke - thought we gave up too much for him, but ...

Bartolo Colon - between him and Vlad, thought we were building something

Bobby Grich 

Mark Teixeira - never much liked him for some reason, but liked his production.  Hated him again when he left.

Bartolo Colon - between him and Vlad, thought we were building something 

Mo Vaughn 

Dan Haren - just felt like the right deal but at the wrong time

Mark Langston 

Nolan Ryan - my memory is kind of fuzzy, here - we gave up a lot for him (I thought) and he sounded intriguing but no more - he quickly became the most interesting player on the team)

Anthony Rendon - always had bad vibes about him - living near DC, it was clear to me the club had reservations about him, people should've loved him - but they didn't

Albert Pujols - Cardinals fans did a great job of pointing out his quickly declining production before the signing, and I didn't like it.   I figured we'd get 3 or 4 good years out of him, then years of regret- turns out that was optimistic - I knew his contract would cripple the team, and the Cardinals seeming so relieved he declined their offer never set well with me  

Josh Hamilton - Criminal stupidity - weirdly, his stats don't suggest he was a bad player, but I thought he was overrated

Adding:

GMJ - The best thing about the GMJ signing was the discovery that a casual fan like me could still be smarter than a baseball executive 

Vernon Wells - I was livid over this - like GMJ, I was astonished to realize just how stupid a baseball organization could be.  I no longer remember the number, but did a back of the envelope calc that suggested the Blue Jays needed to send us somewhere between $40m and $60m to make that a fair trade. 

(don't really recall my reaction to Frank Robinson)

On 12/29/2023 at 11:11 AM, DCAngelsFan said:

GMJ - The best thing about the GMJ signing was the discovery that a casual fan like me could still be smarter than a baseball executive 

LOL. you nailed it.

i think many of us here felt the same way.

47 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Same with Wells 

I can't remember anyone liking that move

what made that one even worse was the financial part of it. just off the top of my head, i remember that he was owed something like 95 mil or 100 mil and toronto sent us a whopping 5 mil. (or something to that effect). It was an awful deal for multiple reasons.

oh, and then wells doubled down and played awful in anaheim. just a brutal deal all around.