• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

mmc

3 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

I think it's backwards of this actually.  The Dodgers are the ones putting the money away until 2034.  They'll almost certainly make a better ROI on it than Ohtani thinks he can, then they'll pay Ohtani later with either a portion of their return.  The Dodgers will come out ahead here.

Yeah, I predict no WS win for Dodgers for next 10 year. 

Arte paid $30 million to Ohtani (arbitration 2023 salary) before he hit free agency.  No World Series, and revenue will drop in the immediate future (reduced advertising, etc.).

Dodgers will pay him $2 million after free agency.  Immediate revenue boost.

Dodgers will pay him with inflated money beginning in 2034, after they've won multiple World Series and their revenues/profits have had a decade worth of increases.

The Dodgers have pulled one of the biggest swindles I've ever seen.

1 minute ago, T.G. said:

On MLB Trade Rumors...

Passan reported over the weekend it was Ohtani’s idea.

Damn.

It figures.  Dodgers would never have thought to offer it, because it's insane and they probably expected Ohtani to be insulted by such an offer.

This confirms it, Ohtani is the most financially illiterate person ever to have a nine figure net worth.

“Shohei, our franchise is estimated to be worth $4.8b.  

Let’s think out of the box for a moment.

How about we essentially offer you 12% ownership in the team?  Here’s how:

If you are an owner with us, our interest are aligned.  Then we both want as much cash flow flexibility as possible to build the best team possible and we both want to win.  That helps build more value of the franchise.

So assuming the team is worth call it $6b at the end of your contract, 12% of $6b is $700m

We give you $2m a year for ten years and defer the rest.

When the money is due after you retire, you can choose to have the cash, or you can choose to exchange what is owed to you for 12% ownership of the team, which we could not do while you are playing.

So how can you lose?  You either pocket $700m or you end up owning 12% of the team, and imagine if the team is actually worth more like $8b at that time.  You exercise the swap of the deferred amount for 12% and you then own  something worth $960m.

I know this is unconventional but what do you say?  Come join the Dodgers as a player today, a team with massive cash flexibility with your super low $2m cash obligation annually, which puts us in a premium position to win, and you end up $700m or 12% of the team that could be worth more line $960m.”

10 minutes ago, T.G. said:

If the Angels had pulled this off with the deferred money deal, everyone here would be thinking Arte was a genius.

Turns out the deferred money deal with Ohtani's idea. 

Not only is he the best player in the world, he's also a freakin' genius.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If you are an owner with us, our interest are aligned.  Then we both want as much cash flow flexibility as possible to build the best team possible and we both want to win.  That helps build more value of the franchise.

So assuming the team is worth call it $6b at the end of your contract, 12% of $6b is $700m

When the money is due after you retire, you can choose to have the cash, or you can choose to exchange what is owed to you for 12% ownership of the team, which we could not do while you are playing.

So how can you lose?  You either pocket $700m or you end up owning 12% of the team, and imagine if the team is actually worth more like $8b at that time.  You exercise the swap of the deferred amount for 12% and you then own  something worth $960m.

I know this is unconventional but what do you say?  Come join the Dodgers as a player today, a team with massive cash flexibility with your super low $2m cash obligation annually, which puts us in a premium position to win, and you end up $700m or 12% of the team that could be worth more line $960m.”

You have it backwards.  It was Ohtani's idea.

3 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Arte paid $30 million to Ohtani (arbitration 2023 salary) before he hit free agency.  No World Series, and revenue will drop in the immediate future (reduced advertising, etc.).

Dodgers will pay him with inflated money beginning in 2034, after they've won multiple World Series and their revenues/profits have had a decade worth of increases.

No WS for 10 years I put a hex on them. It has been 35 years since last title.

7 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

No WS for 10 years I put a hex on them. It has been 35 years since last title.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I Cant Believe It Wait What GIF by Liz Wilcox

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

You miss the point.  Doesn’t matter whose idea it was.  I am saying the structure of the contract suggests to me there could be an option for ownership.

He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who wants part ownership.... He's probably want to call the shots.  He'll find other things to do with his time and money.

1 minute ago, T.G. said:

He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who wants part ownership.... He's probably want to call the shots.  He'll find other things to do with his time and money.

He wouldn’t have to want to be a permanent owner to make the deal I described.  He could choose the cash, or the ownership, or sell the increased value of ownership position and make hundreds of millions more.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

He wouldn’t have to want to be a permanent owner to make the deal I described.  He could choose the cash, or the ownership, or sell the increased value of ownership position and make hundreds of millions more.

Ok. Great.  That was fun.

It didn't happen though.

What else you got?